Following our star Eastwards. Lincoln City away, Boxing Day 26th Dec 1500 hrs.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Following our star Eastwards. Lincoln City away, Boxing Day 26th Dec 1500 hrs.

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:21 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:17 pm
We must must must beat the cod heads, I see they drew with Carlisle today .

We've got a real opportunity to pick up points in the league over the next few weeks

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Following our star Eastwards. Lincoln City away, Boxing Day 26th Dec 1500 hrs.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:27 pm

It was a good battling Christmas win. Frustration for large parts. Front two did not play well. Hard work but a lack of any quality. Wing backs struggled second half and probably JDC is running out of steam. I feel we need to try Matheson or recruit and probably both.

Honestly Thomason is now first name on the team sheet he was out of this world today first half. Another level entirely to anything else on the pitch for either side.

I am worried what has happened to Williams though since his injury he looks a lot less certain. Is he not really fit? Lost rhythm?

Back three were more or less solid. A few times we got in each others way but generally dealt with them well.

Morley disappointing for me but drew a horrendous tackle that was a red all day so I guess takes a lot of credit for that and standing back up again.

I thought the challenge on Toal first half was a nailed on red too.
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:28 pm

I think whilst I agree that Paris wasn't particularly great, today and Thomo was very good, I thought Morley did ok. Had a lot of involvement and didn't hide.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:54 pm

Morley did well for me too. Paris the very opposite. Baxter had little to do. The centre backs held their own. The Wing Backs.. JCD did ok, Williams not so good. The forwards worked hard but were unable to penetrate. Thomo..a class above. A very important 3 points. Pleased.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:59 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:02 pm
Bet ghosts little lad enjoyed that for a first away day. Will have the bug now!
He had a great time.

Absolutely dominant performance, but with poor final ball. We found a way to win.

Special praise to Vic for me today. Rang them ragged and won us position more time than I could count. Fed it back and nobody made the most of it. Made dangerous runs and the ball just never went into the box for him. Terrific centre forward play.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:59 pm

Now, the real question for away days. What takeaways deliver to the hotel...

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:04 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:59 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
He had a great time.

Absolutely dominant performance, but with poor final ball. We found a way to win.

Special praise to Vic for me today. Rang them ragged and won us position more time than I could count. Fed it back and nobody made the most of it. Made dangerous runs and the ball just never went into the box for him. Terrific centre forward play.
Wash your mouth out! :lol:

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:10 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:59 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
He had a great time.

The same Vic who is apparently a "liability"? Surely you can't be suggesting he's actually a bloody good player who's appearance on the starting 11 tends to lead to more wins / more clean sheets???

I didn't see any of the game, but we'll done to the 9 other than Vic and Morley, who according to some can't put a foot right in this team at the moment, so must have been carried again.....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:22 pm

Was driving for second half, listening to the couch. Did the goal come from a short corner? Maybe they know what they’re doing….

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:24 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:22 pm
Was driving for second half, listening to the couch. Did the goal come from a short corner? Maybe they know what they’re doing….
Recycled ball, yeah. Was by design, certainly. We brought Sheehan on with instructions and just kept at it.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:31 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:10 pm
The same Vic who is apparently a "liability"? Surely you can't be suggesting he's actually a bloody good player who's appearance on the starting 11 tends to lead to more wins / more clean sheets???

I didn't see any of the game, but we'll done to the 9 other than Vic and Morley, who according to some can't put a foot right in this team at the moment, so must have been carried again.....
I can't be arsed with this tonight :lol:

Vic was brilliant. If anyone doesn't see it then they don't. Fine. Evatt will have. We have got to find him more in the box. If we can figure that out this is some football team.

Issue today was the flanks. Either not exploiting runs quickly enough, or getting stuck because our wide players can't beat a man and put a good ball in at the minute for some reason. The few times we got an overload the ball in was poor.

Thomason took it on himself to run the flank a couple of times and good on him for it, but again the ball wasn't there. He's a lovely player is George, full of running and loves the football right now. Always offering an option for the bounce pass to get us out of the press.

The work rate of Vic and Thomason was just superb. Lincoln couldn't match it.

Once they went down to 10 it was just whether we could continue missing every chance we made. We put one in. Job done.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:35 pm

Hats off the the blokes at the back of the stand yelling "fecking shite this, Evatt!" as we totally dominated a top 10 side away from home.

"You're total shit, Wanderers!" as we close the gap on Pompey at the top.

Not the slightest clue what they are watching...but they don't like whatever it is.

"Bloody hell, we were lucky today" - they were right. Lincoln's one shot might have gone in, then we'd have looked daft.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:38 pm

And Oxford v Derby Peterborough v Barnsley up this Saturday.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:40 pm

Probably get shot, but a good word for their defence, kamikaze though it was, they kept us out. Made me smile that Toal (who gets a bit of unnecessary stick) should be the one to win it for us. Delighted for the Irish lad actually. Slainte.. :pissed:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:44 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:35 pm
Hats off the the blokes at the back of the stand yelling "fecking shite this, Evatt!" as we totally dominated a top 10 side away from home.

"You're total shit, Wanderers!" as we close the gap on Pompey at the top.

Not the slightest clue what they are watching...but they don't like whatever it is.

"Bloody hell, we were lucky today" - they were right. Lincoln's one shot might have gone in, then we'd have looked daft.
Sounds like the eejits who sit near me at the Reebok. I used to find it quite funny,, but now - as I get older and grumpier - it just pees me off and really spoils my enjoyment of what I'm paying my money to watch....

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:46 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:40 pm
Probably get shot, but a good word for their defence, kamikaze though it was, they kept us out. Made me smile that Toal (who gets a bit of unnecessary stick) should be the one to win it for us. Delighted for the Irish lad actually. Slainte.. :pissed:
3 goals in 20-odd games last season.

3 goals in 16 this.

Goal-scoring centre backs are very, very handy.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:59 pm

Pompey looking anything but foolproof too.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:09 pm

Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:59 pm
Pompey looking anything but foolproof too.
Some of their more knowledgeable fans predicted that.

They have a fairly friendly run of fixtures now, so we'll see how they go.

We just have to keep winning.

We need to see better quality in the final third than today. Any game where we do see that we're likely to win. The work rate is as good as I've ever seen from a Wanderers side. They weren't all at their best today, but they kept trying.

How consistent can this group be and what help can we find them in the market? :conf:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:17 pm

Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:22 pm
It was a short corner we ballsed up. And just had to put a cross in. Too many short corners that went nowhere late in the game. Short is ok if there is a plan. But we take them then it looks like we are making it up as we go.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:20 pm

Can we talk again about how good Thomason was first half? I’m trying to think of a better midfield performance and I’m going back to Stu Holden days.