Down to the O-zone. Away to Fleetwood Friday Dec 297h 7-45.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Down to the O-zone. Away to Fleetwood Friday Dec 297h 7-45.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:14 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:12 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:43 pm
Some great results all round.

Happy Wanderer going into the new year.
Thanks again for the Couch buddy, :pray:
I also partook in the couch tonight. Me and the lad thank you.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:17 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:12 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:43 pm
Some great results all round.

Happy Wanderer going into the new year.
Thanks again for the Couch buddy, :pray:
Amen to that.

While we're handing out New Year's honours, a quiet word for the defence that has, in the two potentially tricky trips since Christmas, only allowed two shots on target. Orient was a weird game which didn't dispel the worry that had built up over the Pompey and Bristol Rovers results; I do now feel though that we're back on track. Long may it last.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:30 pm

Mar wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:41 pm
Well, a 2-0 win sees out our new goal scoring record.

Anyone knows what the full total was?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:43 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:30 pm
Mar wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:41 pm
Well, a 2-0 win sees out our new goal scoring record.

Anyone knows what the full total was?

Cheers, that was the count I got to aswell.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:45 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:17 pm
Amen to that.

While we're handing out New Year's honours, a quiet word for the defence that has, in the two potentially tricky trips since Christmas, only allowed two shots on target. Orient was a weird game which didn't dispel the worry that had built up over the Pompey and Bristol Rovers results; I do now feel though that we're back on track. Long may it last.
Toal looks twice the player with Rico in there. Far less responsibility on his shoulders and plays with freedom.

Baxter had essentially nothing to do again, despite the odd hairy moment in the box.

I don't think the general criticism of Williams (on social) is justified, either. It was a really tough night for a player like him. Dodgy conditions, small pitch and a physical side. He kept going and was all over the attacking third trying to make things happen. Sometimes all you can demand is that players keep working for a result and he did that. It was a night for Iredale and that looks like the initial intention, but he stepped in and did his job.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:04 pm

Good win, that. Feared the worst when the wind was whipping and we hadn’t scored by half-time, but the second half was text book away work.

Sheehan was great and dispelled the myth that he’s a shirker or a fair weather player or whatever. Got a fair bit of treatment from them with no protection from the ref and got on with it and bossed it. Back 3 were good; solid and workmanlike.

Thomason had a poor first half but was everywhere second half. Great to see both our main strikers on the score sheet again too.

A fine evenings work
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:07 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:04 pm
Sheehan was great and dispelled the myth that he’s a shirker or a fair weather player or whatever. Got a fair bit of treatment from them with no protection from the ref and got on with it and bossed it.
Sheehan has come back from three career-threatening injuries. Gone through agonising, lonely rehab and pushed himself all the way back to a Wales call-up.

Lad is nails. Physically and mentally.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:20 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:45 pm
I don't think the general criticism of Williams (on social) is justified, either. It was a really tough night for a player like him. Dodgy conditions, small pitch and a physical side. He kept going and was all over the attacking third trying to make things happen. Sometimes all you can demand is that players keep working for a result and he did that. It was a night for Iredale and that looks like the initial intention, but he stepped in and did his job.
Sometimes I think that its not criticism that's levelled at players, but a recognition of 'that could be working better'.
They've set high expectations from earlier in the season and are bound to go through periods where they have mixed fortunes.

Whether the weather was impactful tonight, if a player has a lot of the ball and doesn't quite manage to deliver, question marks will be raised. There's significantly less acknowledgement that for a player to be that involved in play, they've had to do the hard yards in the first place. Williams did well tonight, tough old game, but out of the two sides I thought he had more of the ball.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:27 pm

Yeah I like Williams. He’s decent enough for us and I also don’t get the criticism. Same with JDC on the other side. They’re fine. Albeit a little inconsistent… which is why they’re playing in League 1
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:28 pm

Mar wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:20 pm
Sometimes I think that its not criticism that's levelled at players, but a recognition of 'that could be working better'.
They've set high expectations from earlier in the season and are bound to go through periods where they have mixed fortunes.

Whether the weather was impactful tonight, if a player has a lot of the ball and doesn't quite manage to deliver, question marks will be raised. There's significantly less acknowledgement that for a player to be that involved in play, they've had to do the hard yards in the first place. Williams did well tonight, tough old game, but out of the two sides I thought he had more of the ball.
I think "Williams is proper shit" and "feck off Williams" probably count as criticism of a less than constructive nature :D

There was also a lot of less abusive stuff that was also clearly just generally having written him off.

The wings need to improve, generally. We got a transitional cross into the box today and Vic's on the board. Like I said yesterday, it's not rocket science. The goals are there and usually we need the wingbacks to be providing the service - today a mid made it happen.

No issue with criticism of the wide players, but no player in that 11 deserves proper criticism tonight. They all stood up, took their bruises and walked over Fleetwood. Sometimes you've just got to acknowledge what a player did well.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:33 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:27 pm
Yeah I like Williams. He’s decent enough for us and I also don’t get the criticism. Same with JDC on the other side. They’re fine. Albeit a little inconsistent… which is why they’re playing in League 1
In both cases I feel like they need players really pushing them for their places. Both have gone off the boil after looking like serious players early doors. Competition improves players. Would love to see a wingback come in who can play down both flanks and see them step up to keep the shirts.

However, it's also not just about their form. We were so close to what was needed tonight, but when Randell and Cogley were fed in behind the conditions meant the ball wasn't quite right. We looked for it time and again, though. It was clearly an instruction.

I think Evatt knows where the goals are and we'll see more of that blindside run with the diagonal ball in from the opposite centre half. Burton have that weakness behind the fullback, so we'll see if one comes off.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:37 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:33 pm
Competition improves players. Would love to see a wingback come in who can play down both flanks and see them step up to keep the shirts.
Well, tis the season, and we’ve had two such suggestions just today - your lad Sorinola and Fevrier at Colchester. So they do exist… and Ian likes a flexible player.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:46 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:37 pm
Well, tis the season, and we’ve had two such suggestions just today - your lad Sorinola and Fevrier at Colchester. So they do exist… and Ian likes a flexible player.
Aye. We're a League One club with coaches who can be trusted with talent.

So many ways we can improve our lot.

I could probably name a dozen players we'd be able to get and who would kick us on on the flanks. Though not sure I'd want to test that claim late on a Friday night :lol:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:58 pm

Everyone stood up tonight - all the players turned in a performance of effort and quality. Anyone who has played the game on a grass pitch in a storm and shite weather can appreciate what we had on our plate tonight, as well as a nightly opposition who knew they couldn’t compete with our football ability. Couldn’t ask for more in the circumstances. Well done.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:16 am

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:27 pm
I like him too. Not been at his peak after his injury but before that I had him down as one of our most consistent this season.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:22 am

I think injuries are a an issue for a few.

Iredale has looked to be struggling and now his knee has swollen up. Evatt says he'll be back for Monday, but it's clearly not right yet.

Derby have improved as their lot have gained fitness. I think Iredale, Dempsey, Williams, Bod, CMG, etc can all hit higher levels in the second half of the season. Assuming they stay fit.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:26 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:28 pm
Mar wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:20 pm

I think "Williams is proper shit" and "feck off Williams" probably count as criticism of a less than constructive nature :D

There was also a lot of less abusive stuff that was also clearly just generally having written him off.

The wings need to improve, generally. We got a transitional cross into the box today and Vic's on the board. Like I said yesterday, it's not rocket science. The goals are there and usually we need the wingbacks to be providing the service - today a mid made it happen.

No issue with criticism of the wide players, but no player in that 11 deserves proper criticism tonight. They all stood up, took their bruises and walked over Fleetwood. Sometimes you've just got to acknowledge what a player did well.
The Twitter bunch certainly are an odd bunch at times. Thought you were referring to comments posted on here.

Williams is arguably our best left back in quite a while.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:34 am

Mar wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:26 am
The Twitter bunch certainly are an odd bunch at times. Thought you were referring to comments posted on here.

Williams is arguably our best left back in quite a while.
Ah, okay. Its why I said "on social."

I like Randell. I think he's capable of more.

If we want to get the most out of Vic we need that ball moving across the box. He and Cogley are capable of it.

There are goals in this team we're not currently scoring, which is frustrating but also means we can improve.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:26 am

Evatt
“We know what we need to do on nights like this now, when to build, play and be expansive, but also when to utilise the front lads and play into good areas.

“There is no right or wrong way to win football matches but they are all about winning. This has been the last one of what I think has been a pretty good 2023.”
More of this please. We all know that we can’t be promoted just doing one thing and the change in tone is welcome. We need that variety.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:13 am

Yesterday's goal cemented Vic's position as the 3rd most efficient non-pen goal scorer of any regular starter under Evatt.

The two to outperform him are Dion this season and Dad Bod when he first got here.

If we can get Bod back anywhere close to that goalscoring form we absolutely will go up.