Tall dark strangers at the door. At home to Burton Albion New Years Day 3-0 clock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Tall dark strangers at the door. At home to Burton Albion New Years Day 3-0 clock

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:09 pm

That keeper of theirs is a large sized yoof and commands his box well. Might say their M.O.T.M. On the Auntie Fanny o'gram scale, we could have had about six. Any win is a good win though and ended the hoodoo. Well done the lads. :oyea: :oyea:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Tall dark strangers at the door. At home to Burton Albion New Years Day 3-0 clock

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:12 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:08 pm
Burton had no threat and we couldve played for 180 mins and not conceded.
Third successive game that our opponents have had a single effort on target. Lincoln and Fleetwood registered the second- and third-lowest xG against us this season (Exeter being the worst), so I'll be interested to see how Burton did when those stats come out.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:15 pm

Four wins twelve points over the festive period, well clear of 7th place and hopefully win the game in hand to put us five clear of third.
Very very happy wanderer
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:17 pm

George Thomason is captain of this club within three years if we are fortunate enough to keep him.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:19 pm

Think we’ve played well. Should have scored more but done the job.

Abeboyejo was very good. Credit to him - best he’s played since September.

I said at HT we needed a wing back to step up and Cogley did. Great second half bar end product at times which I wish he’d improve on as he has a great right foot but it’s decision making.

Thomason also stepped into the game and made a big difference.

Defence solid and they only threatened really from an occasional set piece. Charles not at his absolute best and a few frustrating scenarios where better decisions generally would have finished the game off.

Jerome looks much sharper but really should be scoring that. The lad needs a goal like never before.

Dempsey also should probably have buried that late one.

Are there negatives beyond missed chances? Yeah a few. Centre halves at times gave the ball away too often. We missed Jones very clearly as we lacked impetus from centre half. Morley…not for me. Sorry. He struggled and almost threw it away towards the end with slack play. Maghoma similarly for me a bit too in and out and often I feel like he’s wanting to do something spectacular rather than playing the right ball.

It’s nitpicking - everyone put a real shift in. Got a bit of luck with the goal that we more than deserved.

Burton are a horrible side. No attempt to do anything but time waste and whilst I fully accept any style of football timewasting in the 3rd minute is not a good look.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:19 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:17 pm
George Thomason is captain of this club within three years if we are fortunate enough to keep him.
This. He’s absolutely superb. In every single way. Love him.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:22 pm

DJBlu wrote:
One of them where I thought we'd never score. Thankfully O.G. turned up today.

Final third was very poor today from all of em.
Don't think we were poor up top, just frustrated. Hard to score when they're parking the bus. Couple of seasons ago we'd be dropping points on games like this.

Great dominant performance. Another day and we'd've had a few. All our strikers came close today.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:25 pm

Only one thing mattered today and that was that we got three points and we did.

Granted, we didn't help ourselves in and around the final third but there was only one team in it, and had a couple of delieveries in been a few inches closer it could've been very comfortable.

Vic and Tomo the standouts for me. Both had a good afternoon.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:28 pm

Mar wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:22 pm
DJBlu wrote:

Don't think we were poor up top, just frustrated. Hard to score when they're parking the bus. Couple of seasons ago we'd be dropping points on games like this.

Great dominant performance. Another day and we'd've had a few. All our strikers came close today.
Should've said final ball.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:32 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:25 pm

Granted, we didn't help ourselves in and around the final third but there was only one team in it, and had a couple of delieveries in been a few inches closer it could've been very comfortable.

Agree with this. Result all that matters. Gonna be that way from now on.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:35 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:15 pm
Four wins twelve points over the festive period, well clear of 7th place and hopefully win the game in hand to put us five clear of third.
Very very happy wanderer
The game in hand is away at Barnsley
I would happily settle for a draw in that one
What goes around may still come around

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:38 pm

bw@bw wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:35 pm
knobpolisher wrote:
Very very happy wanderer

Is it not against Cambridge United?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:41 pm

Happy with that - can’t say we didn’t deserve it. Just better decision making in the box stopped us winning comfortably. Happy new year!

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:44 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:28 pm
Mar wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:22 pm
DJBlu wrote:

Should've said final ball.

Yeah, we can all get behind that. We had 21 shots apparently with 4 on target. Quite easily around 40+ chances in todays match if you consider the ones we didnt get a shot off.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:45 pm

Excellent commanding performance which deserved more goals than one. Four wins in four is something to be very proud of, no matter who the opposition is because every team we play are not going to hand it to us on a plate. We have to work for our dinner every game, and we should never take winning for granted as if we are giving out sweets to kids. We have to work very hard for every 3 points.

That said, we look a very focused team. Today, Ade led admirably from in front, both wing backs really stepped it up in the 2nd half, Thomasson, what more can I say about this young man, class in the 2nd and starting to learn how not to get yellow cards. The central defenders were ace, with Toal catching my eyes with his solid display, and Baxter distribution was good. Man of the match - JDC.

If we are able to keep this consistency going, and learn how to handle to top teams in the league - still a question mark in my mind - then we should be able to meet our target at the end of the season.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:53 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:38 pm
bw@bw wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:35 pm
knobpolisher wrote:
Very very happy wanderer

Is it not against Cambridge United?
In January, with 20-odd games to go, the opponent is a slightly under-important matter.

If circumstances dictate that you have to play the champions-elect twice in April, that’s a bit different - but we’re only halfway through the race. Doing well though…

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:34 pm

Not wishing to say I told you so, but my comments about wolf-pack defending must have been noted. There was a visible urgency about us fighting for every ball and not just "shadowing" the opposition today. We really looked the part until that final ball and we're capable of some fine football. It's a nice feeling. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:38 pm

nicholaldo wrote:

+1 - an accurate summary
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:59 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:38 pm
nicholaldo wrote:

+1 - an accurate summary
+1+1 :D

Vic turned so many bad passes into decent balls just through sheer sweat.

Vic + Thommo = 3 players.

Final ball today was dross and if it hadn't been we'd be scraping Burton off the pitch with shovels. Vic was free and clear 8 separate times and not once did a pass find him. Was delighted to see him finally bollocking people for it. Doing his absolute nut. About time.

Bod came on and showed some quality. Shame he messed his feet up for that chance. Man needs one to go in off his arse and he's at the races.

That was a hell of a performance for a last game of the festive period. So much energy. Quality not where it should have been, especially in midfield; but we were always winning it somehow.

12 points from 4 games is stupidly good in such a tight run. On to the cups!

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:42 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:12 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Third successive game that our opponents have had a single effort on target. Lincoln and Fleetwood registered the second- and third-lowest xG against us this season (Exeter being the worst), so I'll be interested to see how Burton did when those stats come out.
From memory, a single effort on target, plus a shot that went out for a throw in!!!!