Choose the matchday music

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Choose the matchday music

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:05 pm

Right out of touch on the music scene, but "Amarillo" via Peter Kay is Bolton associated. I always liked it and it get the fans going.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:03 am

I'm never at home games but I've voted because I don't want Hi-ho silver lining either :oops:

I had a season ticket for the good years, and we had Campione 2000 and it got me going too. Gets my vote.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:07 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:05 pm
Right out of touch on the music scene, but "Amarillo" via Peter Kay is Bolton associated. I always liked it and it get the fans going.
Yeah but as Marc Iles points out it’s associated with a bygone era. Unlike day Campione 2000 - it’s got a specific Bolton association from about 20 years ago that hasn’t exactly carried on in the two decades since. So feels like it would appeal to older fans but not newer ones and also its gimmicky. That gimmick feels a bit forced now. I doubt it will be an atmosphere builder.

Iles has done his own verdict on each and pretty much nailed it I think.

None of these are ideal because none are organic.

I’m not sure you can force this. And therefore for me going back to Campione for now feels the least forced whilst maybe the club see if something more organic evolves.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:34 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:07 am
Iles has done his own verdict on each and pretty much nailed it I think.
A really good piece, nice research and good jokes.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... tmosphere/

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:57 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Yeah but as Marc Iles points out it’s associated with a bygone era. Unlike day Campione 2000 - it’s got a specific Bolton association from about 20 years ago that hasn’t exactly carried on in the two decades since. So feels like it would appeal to older fans but not newer ones and also its gimmicky. That gimmick feels a bit forced now. I doubt it will be an atmosphere builder.
Campione 2000 seems like a Bolton thing. It's not massively adopted elsewhere and genuinely feels like our club.

Wouldn't touch that Wolves song. Missed opportunity back in the day I guess.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:25 am

Mar wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:57 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Campione 2000 seems like a Bolton thing. It's not massively adopted elsewhere and genuinely feels like our club.

Wouldn't touch that Wolves song. Missed opportunity back in the day I guess.
I think it’s the closest thing to something that sort of ‘is ours’ but I don’t think it really is. It’s the best option for me out of the list and hopefully it wins but I don’t see it as ‘the thing’.

You need that to come naturally. It’s a bit like trying to impose sweet Caroline or something. It’s kind of fun for a while but it’s not really ours and eventually (or quickly) it wears thin.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:29 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:43 pm
Wolves have used it a long time - it’s far far too heavily associated with them to even consider it. Would be a complete embarrassment.
Not disagreeing but didn't they (also?) have The Liquidator (the ska keyboard instrumental that Chelsea also use)? Or maybe that was West Brom. I seem to remember one of them having it and it being banned because the fans, as one, would chorus the f-word at their local rivals.

Hope we choose a good one and it helps. That's the main thing. It's hard to "start a tradition" and it might not make sense – Everton have Z Cars, FFS – but you have to start somewhere. Or never again complain about atmosphere.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:40 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:29 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:43 pm
Wolves have used it a long time - it’s far far too heavily associated with them to even consider it. Would be a complete embarrassment.
Not disagreeing but didn't they (also?) have The Liquidator (the ska keyboard instrumental that Chelsea also use)? Or maybe that was West Brom. I seem to remember one of them having it and it being banned because the fans, as one, would chorus the f-word at their local rivals.

Hope we choose a good one and it helps. That's the main thing. It's hard to "start a tradition" and it might not make sense – Everton have Z Cars, FFS – but you have to start somewhere. Or never again complain about atmosphere.
Think that was West Brom. Wolves might have used it for a while as well. Pretty sure the hi ho thing is twenty years plus though Wednesday have had it a fair while as well.

I almost think the answer is to play some random things and see what takes off. Stuff not used elsewhere, from different times and genres. Needs to be a bit more organic I think.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:50 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:40 am
Think that was West Brom. Wolves might have used it for a while as well. Pretty sure the hi ho thing is twenty years plus though Wednesday have had it a fair while as well.

I almost think the answer is to play some random things and see what takes off. Stuff not used elsewhere, from different times and genres. Needs to be a bit more organic I think.
Liquidator: Cheers.
Organic: Which is part of what they're asking for the in "ten song playlist". Seems to me it would help if we played songs that have been adapted for player chants. Although I doubt we'll be cueing up Give Me Oil In My Lamp.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:08 pm

Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:50 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:40 am

Liquidator: Cheers.
Organic: Which is part of what they're asking for the in "ten song playlist". Seems to me it would help if we played songs that have been adapted for player chants. Although I doubt we'll be cueing up Give Me Oil In My Lamp.
It was a guaranteed banger at primary school, though.

Could work for the ‘crazy corner’?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:13 pm

HMX wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:08 pm
I doubt we'll be cueing up Give Me Oil In My Lamp.

I mention it as it's a regular football tune. See (some) England fans singing "Oh St George on my flag" aka "No Surrender". I seem to recall the tune was used recently for some or other Wanderer, but can't remember who.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:15 pm

Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:13 pm
HMX wrote:

I mention it as it's a regular football tune. See (some) England fans singing "Oh St George on my flag" aka "No Surrender". I seem to recall the tune was used recently for some or other Wanderer, but can't remember who.
Oof okay.

I can't recall who it would've been for either. Not one I've sung.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:27 pm

How about, "Yes sir, we can Boogie"... Saturday Night Fever....:mrgreen:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:33 pm

HMX wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:15 pm
HMX wrote:

Oof okay.

It's not the tune's fault it's used in unsavoury circumstances. Or for that matter the player it was adapted for. I remember Flanners turning to me and cracking a joke about modern pop songs.

BREAKING NEWS I've remembered it - "20 goal 20 goals Bakayoko," of course.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:36 pm

Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:33 pm
HMX wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:15 pm
HMX wrote:

Oof okay.

It's not the tune's fault it's used in unsavoury circumstances. Or for that matter the player it was adapted for. I remember Flanners turning to me and cracking a joke about modern pop songs.

BREAKING NEWS I've remembered it - "20 goal 20 goals Bakayoko," of course.
Of course! I might've heard it on a trip to Oxford where Baka scored the winner to make it 3-2 in the 86th minute.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
None of these are ideal because none are organic.
To be fair, though, nothing will ever be as organic as the Scoursers spontaneously bursting into song and coming out with "You'll never walk alone", a piece written about a botched armed robbery in which one of the assailants accidentally stabs himself whilst fleeing the scene.

The only time anything has ever been more on the nose it was Cary Grant hanging off George Washington's on Mount Rushmore.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:54 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:46 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

To be fair, though, nothing will ever be as organic as the Scoursers spontaneously bursting into song and coming out with "You'll never walk alone", a piece written about a botched armed robbery in which one of the assailants accidentally stabs himself whilst fleeing the scene.
By Gordon Macrae in the musical "Carousel" in 1945 before Gerry Marsden was born..

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:59 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:54 pm
By Gordon Macrae in the musical "Carousel" in 1945 before Gerry Marsden was born..
Not quite, he was born in 1942, otherwise his three No.1s in 1963 would have come while he was 17/18. Not impossible, I guess, but also not the case here... :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:04 pm

Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:59 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Not quite, he was born in 1942, otherwise his three No.1s in 1963 would have come while he was 17/18. Not impossible, I guess, but also not the case here... :D
Okay, my bad. I was going off the fact that my wife( who is a Welsh Scouser) used to know him at the Cavern. :oops:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:09 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:04 pm
Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:59 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Okay, my bad. I was going off the fact that my wife( who is a Welsh Scouser) used to know him at the Cavern. :oops:
She's underestimating her age :mrgreen: but she's entitled to do so!!