Under Starters Orders. At Home to Cheltenham Sat 13th Jan 3-0 clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Under Starters Orders. At Home to Cheltenham Sat 13th Jan 3-0 clock.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:36 am

No gold cups at stake, but the prize money is greater as The Robins flutter in for a gallop round the Toughsheet. Basement bound right now, but having won three and drawn one of the last five including a 2-1 win over Pompey, Cheltenham will be at the gallop to put one over on the Super Whites. With minds full of cups right now, we need to focus on the League chase and the winning post. Goggles on then and charge on with Sonic's cups of Typhoo for the winners. ... :Jedi:

:kettle:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Under Starters Orders. At Home to Cheltenham Sat 13th Jan 3-0 clock.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:21 pm

Statement performance, please.

Cheltenham are a very good side now. I want to absolutely tear them a new one and scare the shit out of the rest of the division.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:27 pm

Aye, Clarke seems to be doing good work at Cheltenham and they're definitely no mugs. That said, this is the type of game we absolutely cannot afford to drop points in.

Despite it being generally accepted that League One is weaker this season, there're at least three other sides I think are genuinely good (Pompey, Posh and Derby), then a few more (Oxford, Blackpool, Barnsley) that have shown inconsistencies, but if they recruit well during this month could also be threats to us. We also still have to play a lot of those teams away from home.

We're currently well positioned, but the race for automatics is going to be hard fought and I think will go right down to the wire. Three points on Saturday is a must.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:07 pm

The recent-form tables show how they're playign at a lick very far from relegation form. More "upper mid-table":

Last 4: BW 1st, CT 7th
Last 6: BW 5, CT 8
Last 8: BW 3, CT 12
Last 10: BW 2, CT 10
Last 12: BW 1, CT 9

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:34 pm

New manager bounce has to end sometime. 8-0 to the supers!

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:58 am

Did some looking on soccer stats, loads of metrics indicating we should win this with Cheltenham having only won twice away from home.

I think we should have enough to do this and then some. Cheltenham recently buoyed by their encounter with Portsmouth may be looking at us for sterner opposition and trying to put a marker down as them not being mugs.

Going to be a tough old game. Get an early goal and set the standard and we may just open some freshly closed wounds. Longer the game goes on with us not having locked in the win the more likely Cheltenham will be to cause us a few problems of our own.

As for their recent form, it should be concerning. They're in the bottom due to not registering a win till October. Now they're an mid to upper league side playing catchup.

What is interesting is that all those data sets containing early season data can be thrown out the window as this team is a completely different kettle of fish.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:36 pm

The couch will have gold trim tomorrow as I'm not working, I shall "Fingers Crossed" be adding a new keyless entry and I have managed to wangle a top loader VCR for those who miss the game and wish to rewind it and watch at their leisure. I can only power up the VCR at full time though. I will leave the door open at full time so you can use the remote on a wire!

:D

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:36 am

Baxter

Forrester Santos Toal

Sheehan

JDC Dempsey Thomason Williams

Charles Vic

3-0 Bolton

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:52 am

DJBlu wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:36 pm
The couch will have gold trim tomorrow as I'm not working, I shall "Fingers Crossed" be adding a new keyless entry and I have managed to wangle a top loader VCR for those who miss the game and wish to rewind it and watch at their leisure. I can only power up the VCR at full time though. I will leave the door open at full time so you can use the remote on a wire!

How does one jump on the couch?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:53 am

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:52 am
DJBlu wrote:

Look at the top of the forum.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:56 am

jmjhb wrote:
DJBlu wrote:

I think you'll find that one sits on the couch :roll: Jumping is only permitted when a goal has been scored :D
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:16 am

Twas touch and go as to whether I'd get to go today, with a kid down sick. However, we are on. Gyros and the footy it is! :D

My son, who was feeling distinctly ropey last night. has taken medicine (something he hates) in order to make sure he feels well enough to perform his lucky ritual of touching Nat's boot on the statue. So when we win you can all thank him.

Hopefully by the time I get to the Toughsheet/Unibol/Macron/Bok Geth will have won his first ever full international game and cemented himself as an Australian national hero.

Start as you mean to go on and all that.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:21 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:16 am
Twas touch and go as to whether I'd get to go today, with a kid down sick. However, we are on. Gyros and the footy it is! :D

My son, who was feeling distinctly ropey last night. has taken medicine (something he hates) in order to make sure he feels well enough to perform his lucky ritual of touching Nat's boot on the statue. So when we win you can all thank him.

Hopefully by the time I get to the Toughsheet/Unibol/Macron/Bok Geth will have won his first ever full international game and cemented himself as an Australian national hero.

Start as you mean to go on and all that.
Geth being in the starting lineup certainly helps. Australia vs Qatar kicks off in 10 minutes in Qatar.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:08 pm

Go Geth, and go The Whites. We need a convincing display today and hopefully three points. Easy to lose sight of the main target with so much distraction around. As ever, COME ON YOU WHITES....... :oyea:

They call us The Wanderers
Yeah, the Wanderers
We roam around, around, around.... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:05 pm

Lineup is out:
Baxter, JDC, Forrester, Santos, Toal, Iredale, Sheehan, Thomason, Dempsey, Adeboyejo, Charles

Subs: Coleman, Ashworth, Matheson, Morley, Maghoma, Bod, Jerome

Randell misses out due to injury which probably explains why he didnt play some part midweek. Extra faith in Ashworth and Matheson I guess.

Decent lineup.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:23 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:56 am
jmjhb wrote:
DJBlu wrote:

I think you'll find that one sits on the couch :roll: Jumping is only permitted when a goal has been scored :D
Sonic is correct. You might jump for joy when you refresh your screen and look under "Hello, jmjhb!"

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:02 pm

Pre-match brew in hand whilst I take a break from the decorating.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:07 pm

Wonder how much impact the midweek match would've had on Jerome. Supposedly harder to recover the older you get and he played a lot of minutes, not sure whether that'll have a significant impact on any contribution he may be able to make.

Not liking our start so far. Seems very much like Cheltenham have our game plan of winning it up top and pressing hard. Feel like this may be a game where we end up running into the channels.

Suspect it'll be a quick counter attack and hope the likes of Vic can get on it.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:11 pm

Jack Iredale is going to have to up his game a tad.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:15 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:11 pm
Jack Iredale is going to have to up his game a tad.
Can't say i've seen him do much wrong to warrant any overly obvious criticism. Most of what i've seen so far is more of a team issue in terms of being able to break out of their opposition press. Feels like we've been pinned in somewhat.