South to East (London, that is) Leyton Orient away Sat 20th Jan 3-0'clock..

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: South to East (London, that is) Leyton Orient away Sat 20th Jan 3-0'clock..

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:15 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:13 pm
Yeah, it was Posh I had in mind, hadn't spotted we had a spare, spare against Pompey, so assumed we could catch neither, my bad! :-)
Hopefully you're not correct by Wednesday morning :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:42 pm

Missed the game, mid-air over the Atlantic. Zero interest in getting into the quarrels on here but here’s some thoughts.

The goal has been ascribed to Toal’s poor passing and Iredale’s lack of strength. Both true, IMO. Were it the other way round, we’d have been alright - but “incomplete” players is where we are.

We are too reliant on Dion Charles finishing chances, which he may never do fully reliably. He’s improving year on year - time was he only scored v lower teams, now he’s a more regular threat - but for a goalscoring striker he is also very prone to missing. It’s a shame but what would help is us having other strikers who also score.

We need a fast striker off the bench. Ennis or whoever. Sending the old slow dudes trundling on for Dion/Vic must be prompting high-fives among the oppo.

We need to return to winning when under par. And not be under par. It is, again putting the “tight” into title race - and I expect all our rivals to strengthen, in Derby’s case considerably: as *their* striker signing they might hire our usual buzzkill Michael Smith. That will make them, like him, a huge problem.

Games thick and fast. Win the next one and the questions get quieter.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:23 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:42 pm
We need a fast striker off the bench. Ennis or whoever. Sending the old slow dudes trundling on for Dion/Vic must be prompting high-fives among the oppo.
Trouble is that his Blackburn reviews include people pointing out that his recent injuries have cost him a yard. If that's correct, as it was with Williams when we got him (he's still not where he was), then he may not have the terrifying impact we're hoping for.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:16 pm

Not sure I take Blackburn as good judges - Kevin Davies etc - but I did also say “or whoever”.

If we recruit someone slower than Cameron Jerome then I suggest we rehire Tobias Phoenix.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:54 pm

Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:16 pm
I suggest we rehire Tobias Phoenix.
No need for that king of language.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:54 am

Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:16 pm
Not sure I take Blackburn as good judges - Kevin Davies etc - but I did also say “or whoever”.

If we recruit someone slower than Cameron Jerome then I suggest we rehire Tobias Phoenix.
We've already got 3 strikers slower than Jerome

We were poor on Saturday. As bad as we've been this season away from home, but created enough clear chances to win the game. Some days you finish them, some you don't, but I won't be writing them, nor Dion off for a couple of missed chances. As easy as they were

It's vital we win tomorrow
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"