To be continued. Home to Cheltenham, Tues Jan 23rd , 7-45.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: To be continued. Home to Cheltenham, Tues Jan 23rd , 7-45.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:48 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:45 pm
Embers of the Derby game on the couch for those that care.
Ghost’s lad Azeez is no.11

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:50 pm

I actually think Cheltenham ran out of steam as well - we gifted them a couple of late chances, but they did the same to us. Thankfully Big Vic striiiiker in form made his own match winning goal, whattaplayer.

I did not see us keeping a clean sheet, but they fluffed a couple of chances and wasted set pieces. We were a bad refereeing decision each a-piece.

Didn’t play well, won, and I’ll take it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:53 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:28 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:25 pm
Please can of you two forwards break your (league) duck tonight!
It’d be nice. But I’d settle for an oggie in our favour. Or even zero more goals tonight, at Bolton and Reading.
I think Oggies are well clear of Dan+Bod+Cam+CMG..Aren't we on 4 or 5?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:54 pm

Positives for me - Thomason - outstanding.

Williams looked back to his best before getting injured again.

Baxter very good generally bar some distribution.

Front two - I don’t think had very good games but worked very hard and Vic took his goal well.

We defended the box bravely.

Rest wasn’t great to to be honest.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:54 pm

FT Derby lose!!

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:55 pm

Anyone going to say Derby are shite after losing away to 4th bottom?

No didn't think so. What a difference 3 days makes.

COYWM!!!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:56 pm

17 wins out of 26. Imagine if we were any good.
Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 17.55.50.jpeg.png
Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 17.55.50.jpeg.png (94.74 KiB) Viewed 326 times

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:04 pm

Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:56 pm
Is that the most in the league DSB? I can't see the teams below.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:05 pm

3 points was important. So happy in that sense. Dunno where another pretty flat performance came from, but now feels like it would be a good time to land whatever "exciting" prospects we're close to.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:06 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:04 pm
Yes, if anyone below had 17 wins, they'd be on at least 51 points (so wouldn't be below :-) )

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:08 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Well, it’s a long way down.

In the whole 92, only Leicester have won more league games.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:13 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:06 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Yes, if anyone below had 17 wins, they'd be on at least 51 points (so wouldn't be below :-) )
Sorry my retort went over a fair few heads there. It was an attempt at an obvious observation that there are few teams above us and more below. This was clearly an attempt to display to others that we are in fact not as bad as most make out.

I apologise for said humourous attempt and shall don both cap and coat.

:oyea:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:26 pm

O I C :oops:

BorsdaneWhite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BorsdaneWhite » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:30 pm

Don’t know how much there is to it, but Santos looked injured to me. Toal gave it away countless times, but twice—in exactly the same way as at Leyton—in the first 10. Iredale, too, struggled winning headers. All three looked very shaky, but really can’t fault some of the last ditch stuff.

Our play in possession has deteriorated, but the simple long ball to Vic, while hugely inconsistent, is beginning to pay dividends.

Saw Demps in the car park and, perhaps callously, said, “I do hope you didn’t get injured…” He replied, “ahh, I’ll be alright”. SO NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.

Really going to have to improve for the Feb fixtures. There’s some horrid ones there. But an excellent three points against, I thought, a decent side. Lovely round of applause for the away fans, too.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:33 pm

Okay, I'm ready to get shot down..:

Of two sides on show tonight a neutral might be tempted to think Cheltenham were in third spot and Bolton at the bottom. Hardly a vintage display. Two or three players apart, we looked looked really jaded right through. Dion needs a goal to boost him as he gave everything all the time he was on. Vic was great for me as was Thomason, but if it isn't happening around you it can soon get dispirited. Our defence is worrying me, particularly Santos who isn't the commanding general he was. I'm seeing too many blatant fouls being let go and not always from the opposition. .

It's in midfield we need a general. We won't get a Paul Scholes, De Bruyn or a Luja Modric, but we need somebody who can go forward with the ball. We won almost nothing against their long balls (Did their keeper pass the ball to a Cheltenham player once all game?) and we were totally guilty of dormant ball-watching, and our set ups against their free kicks that had my nerves jangling knowing Baxter doesn't command his box well. .. You might claim being a goal in front we didn't need to chase the ace, but all it needed was one of their chances (and they had them) to go in and we're fighting uphill again.

We won, scored a good goal and got three points, but it felt a bit like getting a pair of woolly socks for Christmas when you were expecting a Wanderers video. Ah well, on with it... :pissed: :wink:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:36 pm

BorsdaneWhite wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:30 pm
Don’t know how much there is to it, but Santos looked injured to me. Toal gave it away countless times, but twice—in exactly the same way as at Leyton—in the first 10. Iredale, too, struggled winning headers. All three looked very shaky, but really can’t fault some of the last ditch stuff.

Our play in possession has deteriorated, but the simple long ball to Vic, while hugely inconsistent, is beginning to pay dividends.

Saw Demps in the car park and, perhaps callously, said, “I do hope you didn’t get injured…” He replied, “ahh, I’ll be alright”. SO NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.

Really going to have to improve for the Feb fixtures. There’s some horrid ones there. But an excellent three points against, I thought, a decent side. Lovely round of applause for the away fans, too.
I hate to admit it but the back line is missing Jones. It's his leadership more than anything. I think somebody said that Toal is better with Santos at the back but I think it's when they're both in there.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:42 pm

In other news is this the professional equivilent of next goal wins?
nextgoalwins.png
nextgoalwins.png (220.19 KiB) Viewed 241 times
"Referee Adam Herczeg was caught in a midfield sandwich and - after a delay lasting the best part of 20 minutes, while a qualified official was found in the crowd - he was replaced in the middle by fourth official Steven Rushton."

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:47 pm
Looked on Twitter post match first few posts saying exactly what I feel after that. Need some signings urgently as this is a team that looks like it is running on empty.

Three or four in.

We were let’s be honest second best today. Cheltenham had almost double the efforts we had and more on target.

We’ve won and that’s all that matters but you can see tiredness in these players. We need fresh bodies in because what’s coming off the bench isn’t doing it.

Thomason and Dempsey limping round at the end is not a good sign.
FFS, here we go.

We weren't clearly second best - I'd say it was a decent contest between 2 decent teams - and presumably affected somewhat by the wind (and I know its the same for both teams, but I suspect it impedes out style of play more than Cheltenham's?).

We were far from our best, but we stuck at it and in the end we won. Plain and simple. The league table doesn't have a "chances created" column, so all that matters is we took one of ours and they didn't. Simples.

Thought Thomasson was excellent (again), and was Vic (do you still think he's a liability?) and Dion. Williams, JDC & Iredale also solid (despite the latter's propensity to shove their forward). Thought Maghoma and Sheehan were below their best, and Santos to me looked like he was playing through illness or something - seemed to be struggling (by his own ridiculously high standards), although was there when it mattered.

New signings - as long as they are the right signings - will of course be welcome to alleviate some of the pressure....

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:48 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:36 pm

I hate to admit it but the back line is missing Jones. It's his leadership more than anything. I think somebody said that Toal is better with Santos at the back but I think it's when they're both in there.
100% agree. Jones is a massive miss. He's another one the whingeing "fans" (read: Pricks) like to have a go at, but he's a massively steadying influence across the back and a decent outlet down the right. Hope he comes back fired up and full of confidence after how he's playing for Australia (and more importantly, comes back fit and not injured!)

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:47 pm
Looked on Twitter post match first few posts saying exactly what I feel after that. Need some signings urgently as this is a team that looks like it is running on empty.

Three or four in.

We were let’s be honest second best today. Cheltenham had almost double the efforts we had and more on target.

We’ve won and that’s all that matters but you can see tiredness in these players. We need fresh bodies in because what’s coming off the bench isn’t doing it.

Thomason and Dempsey limping round at the end is not a good sign.
Yep, we definitely need something to get the spark back in the squad. Everything just seems very stale.

It’s only Bristol Rovers and us in L1 who are yet to sign somebody in this window and Rovers are just about to sign a promising young CM from Grimsby for a fee, so it’ll just be us once that’s announced.