To be continued. Home to Cheltenham, Tues Jan 23rd , 7-45.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: To be continued. Home to Cheltenham, Tues Jan 23rd , 7-45.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:40 am

Mar wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:25 am
We feel a bit light but that's the purpose of having a b team. Matheson can come in aswell as Ashworth, CMG has covered RWB aswell so there's a few extra to come in.

Central defence is coming a concern as there's seemingly little respite in the wake of Jones being away. Budgetarily speaking they probably made the right call as it was an outside chance for either Jones or Iredale to get called up. Similarly an outside chance for CMG to get called up.
They will feel like they made the right call.

My position when we left the window was that we were short and I didn't like it, but we'd probably get away with it. We're now no longer getting away with it.

It's arguably cost us a few points this season, but the finances are what they are and they will take a few points hit if it means having the time to get stuff right. That means getting it right, though. Last January really benefitted us, but not until the summer - which was kind of what I expected at the time.

This January we have to have one eye on the Championship, but we also need impact within a few weeks and preferably immediately.

We can't "break the bank", because we'll break the club; but this is our best chance to get out of this division and we need to give Evatt every possible chance. Every player we lose needs replacing and then we also need to add what we missed in the summer. Nothing less.

If these panned deals fall through (god forbid) we absolutely cannot leave it. We'll just have to do our best on reflex.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:00 am

"Unstoppable" Derby apparently put in a poor performance today too...except they lost.
Screenshot 2024-01-24 015710.png
Screenshot 2024-01-24 015710.png (85.27 KiB) Viewed 584 times

These wins make a difference. We've won the most games this season, despite playing the fewest games.

I'm travelling up to Carlisle on Friday. I sincerely hope it's a better display, but if we're shite and win I will be delighted.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:51 am

According to Evatt, the referee disallowed their goal because one of their players blocked one of ours from getting to the ball.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:04 am

Santos will be the one blocked - he didn’t get anywhere near as many headers away from set pieces - I think they did their homework on him. I’m also not convinced he was 100% fit. Ref did well to spot it if that was the case - and told the liner to flag. I had it the other way round on the stream…thought the ref was trying to allow it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:10 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:51 am
According to Evatt, the referee disallowed their goal because one of their players blocked one of ours from getting to the ball.
The player who did was offside I think. You wonder whether they really did spot that or it was just an erroneous flag and then a later spot and justification of the decision?

Either way I think it was the right call but most of the time one we wouldn’t get.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:12 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:04 am
Santos will be the one blocked - he didn’t get anywhere near as many headers away from set pieces - I think they did their homework on him. I’m also not convinced he was 100% fit. Ref did well to spot it if that was the case - and told the liner to flag. I had it the other way round on the stream…thought the ref was trying to allow it.
Yeah he looks leggy to me santos. I don’t think Charles is on top form either. Working hard for sure but especially first half he seemed to struggle to keep the ball.

I suspect Rico is carrying something as he physically looks to be struggling. Charles maybe just going through a sticky period. But I suspect when half the core of your team is struggling it does make it harder. Sheehan also struggled for the first time in a while!

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:40 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:10 am
nicholaldo wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:51 am
The player who did was offside I think. You wonder whether they really did spot that or it was just an erroneous flag and then a later spot and justification of the decision?

Either way I think it was the right call but most of the time one we wouldn’t get.

It was the referee who gave it, I think.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:45 am

We spend too long in our own half. Call that a fact or a stat, it's a reality. .....

Dion Charles is having to play too deep and consequently making runs from defensive rather than offensive positions. Is he, despite being leading goal scorer, a striker or an offensive midfielder? He does very little wrong, indeed runs himself gormless for the team, but in terms of a striker, he's not number one; Vic has stepped up to that slot. Bod, despite his skills and good football brain, seems just a little light against defenders who run at players and hit them (count most of this league). I like the man, and maybe it's just a temporary failing like the rest, so maybe Vic and Bod up front with Dion running poacher? If Dion starts to score again, I doubt he'll care what number he is. As a striker, he's currently our best box to box man. In short, we need a little more muscle up front (always assuming our defence wake up from mince pies and brandy pudding of course).Get on it Mr Evatt. :oyea:

Edit: Bolton play brilliantly against Premier Luton, lose and are praised to the skies. Play rubbish against Cheltenham, win and get slated. Lesson somewhere? Funny old game football, innit?

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:12 am

Well, we got away with one there, didn't we! Outplayed almost all over the pitch and very lucky to escape with 3 points when we didn't even deserve 1.

We need bodies in. We look jaded, short on solutions to problems that teams pose us and we're starting to look very predictable. Something needs to happen to freshen things up a bit, as we have a grueling few months in front of us.

Thank the lord for Super Nathan Baxter in Goal. I'd say he is the only one who played well. Thomason out for 2 games now with 10 yellows and he looked like he desperately wanted one last night. Did everything he could. Couple of daft tackles and a bit of a dissent thrown in. Something he needs to work on, for sure.

Pleased that Vic got the goal, we said in the pub pre-match that Dion looks like he might go on one of his everything he touched turns to shite runs for a few weeks and somebody else really needs to step up on the goal front.

Jon Dadi continues to frustrate. I know it's hard to come off the bench and even more so when the teams not playing well, but he flatters to deceive. Nice touch and some great skill, then ballses a pass up
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:16 am

Thomason suspended then Saturday…Dempsey injured so all of a sudden it’s 3 from 3, just like the defence. CMG on the bench!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:17 am

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:12 am
Well, we got away with one there, didn't we! Outplayed almost all over the pitch and very lucky to escape with 3 points when we didn't even deserve 1.

We need bodies in. We look jaded, short on solutions to problems that teams pose us and we're starting to look very predictable. Something needs to happen to freshen things up a bit, as we have a grueling few months in front of us.

Thank the lord for Super Nathan Baxter in Goal. I'd say he is the only one who played well. Thomason out for 2 games now with 10 yellows and he looked like he desperately wanted one last night. Did everything he could. Couple of daft tackles and a bit of a dissent thrown in. Something he needs to work on, for sure.

Pleased that Vic got the goal, we said in the pub pre-match that Dion looks like he might go on one of his everything he touched turns to shite runs for a few weeks and somebody else really needs to step up on the goal front.

Jon Dadi continues to frustrate. I know it's hard to come off the bench and even more so when the teams not playing well, but he flatters to deceive. Nice touch and some great skill, then ballses a pass up
I thought Thomason was superb last night but last twenty looked exhausted. Picked up a knock too and was limping at the end.

Williams also played well.

Agree with the rest.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:18 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:16 am
Thomason suspended then Saturday…Dempsey injured so all of a sudden it’s 3 from 3, just like the defence. CMG on the bench!
Think I saw Thomason’s suspension kicks in after Saturday.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:24 am

Thomason was ok. I would save "superb" for games where he has a much bigger impact
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:57 am

Yeah agreed, he was fine. One of his quieter games - he’s a steady performer and can be excellent on his day so no doubting he’s our top midfielder now. His knock was self inflicted with that ridiculous tackle attempt at the end. Thankfully no mention of it after so should be OK.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:56 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:04 am
They had a fairly intense conversation via the mics before his flag went up.

You'd imagine the ref asked the linesman if the blockers were offside rather than the goal scorer and when the lino said yes he was told to flag for offside.

If that's the sequence it's actually textbook. Fair play.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:18 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:16 am
Think I saw Thomason’s suspension kicks in after Saturday.
Sadly not - Iles says he’s out for Carlisle and Barnsley, which at least means he can play at Blackpool.

Randell expected to be 3-4 wks but Evatt hopeful Demps injury is “neural” and thus shorter.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... sle-clash/

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:53 pm

Looks like we're going to need Lady Luck on our side come Saturday.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:26 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:53 pm
Can’t under FIFA rules, as she’s already played for two other teams this season :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:32 pm

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:50 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:53 pm
We're second in the division for clean sheets. One behind Pompey, who have played 2 more games.

Will happily continue that and "nick one" in a "smash and grab" to carry us over into the post-January phase, if that's what it takes.