Financiers, investors and white knights: What next for FV?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Financiers, investors and white knights: What next for FV?

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:00 pm

Thought we needed a new thread for financial chat, as we look upwards at the second tier and wonder how to afford it.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... an-graham/

Interesting? Or just a way to get them involved with a reason to succeed - several thousand reasons, indeed more than the manager and CEO?

More on Champo hellscape:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Financiers, investors and white knights: What next for FV?

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:23 pm

Both parties get what they need.

Bolton wanted elite data work they couldn't afford. Ludo needed a strategic partner.

We get access to the best in the business for no cash outlay. Very difficult not to be chuffed there.

Lostock is the next issue. We need to figure out how to get champagne facilities on beer money. That's miles off my area, but looks difficult. Another partnership arrangement isn't going to cut it there, you fancy, as it's millions in outlay.

Data - Facilities - Staff

2 out of 3 thus far. If you can get all three you're going places fast.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:23 pm

Decent explainer here. Edwards well regarded in the industry. Graham less well known but very respected.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... -can-help/

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:40 pm

A quite interesting article regarding Luckock and his links to a company named Trafigura HERE.

And also this video:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:45 pm

All sounds reasonable… be a test if season tickets drop off this summer - can’t see fans sticking their hand in pockets for another ‘bond’ anytime soon either.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:48 pm

Yeah interesting investors. But ultimately don’t sound like they fancy stumping up millions to cover big losses. So we will have to be self sufficient. I wonder how much we would need to recoup in fees this summer without the extra championship income? One assumes we’d be set for a loss of 3M give or take so maybe need to sell to that sort of value?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:48 pm
Yeah interesting investors. But ultimately don’t sound like they fancy stumping up millions to cover big losses. So we will have to be self sufficient. I wonder how much we would need to recoup in fees this summer without the extra championship income? One assumes we’d be set for a loss of 3M give or take so maybe need to sell to that sort of value?
How do you know our expenditure has been predicated on Champo income next season?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:02 pm

Didn’t we sign Collins to “get us over the line” or something similar? But I would hope wages are at least somewhat reflective of performance - so it’s bonus based on promotion. Collins payments should be weighted on that too. Or goals and assists - he’s doing neither!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:07 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:02 pm
Didn’t we sign Collins to “get us over the line” or something similar? But I would hope wages are at least somewhat reflective of performance - so it’s bonus based on promotion. Collins payments should be weighted on that too. Or goals and assists - he’s doing neither!
Yes get us over the line. Dunno whether that means "went out on a limb financially"

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:28 am

Michael Edwards is supposedly on the verge of taking over football operations at Liverpool again. I’d hazard a guess that this means he’s not going to be overly involved with us.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:17 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:51 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
How do you know our expenditure has been predicated on Champo income next season?
I’m not suggesting that but it was our loss last season so one assumes it won’t be hugely changed this time round either.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:40 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:17 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:51 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I’m not suggesting that but it was our loss last season so one assumes it won’t be hugely changed this time round either.
I don't know whether that sort of loss, leads us to need to sell £3m "worth" of players...not that the loss might not be similar - I mean it could be higher, you would assume we'd have turned a profit on Wembley and we've shipped out some loanees for perms.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:21 am

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... ns-future/

Interesting interview where Hart admits that ‘breaking even’ financially is impossible for Bolton Wanderers to be competitive in league one.

Let’s hope the Swiss investors stay interested. They can talk about plans in place for either scenario but we’ve been here before. It’s absolutely critical we go up because without that extra revenue and investment incentive I do fear where this financial project is headed. Who would want to foot the bill year on year for a league one club that is losing several millions of pounds each year?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:54 pm

What generally happens is, one division up, becomes less sustainable, because you still chase "success" and the numbers are larger. I dunno where this notion of "sustainable" at football actually lives (outside of bottom end L1/top end L2 type scenario. If we head up the leagues, we need investment from somewhere, almost certainly.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

https://x.com/marciles/status/177338161 ... o4TppbHkNQ

Ruh-roh.

Thats problematic. A sizeable increase in losses against a 40% increase in revenue.

Been here before….alarm bells and all that.