Alas poor Yor(i)k, I knew it well. Home v Barnsley, Sat Feb 3rd, 3-0' clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BorsdaneWhite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Alas poor Yor(i)k, I knew it well. Home v Barnsley, Sat Feb 3rd, 3-0' clock.

Post by BorsdaneWhite » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:07 pm

Entertaining game. Collins looked everything Charles is not at the moment. Dangerous, decisive, and every shot on target.

I thought Paris was woeful. So frustrating. Did far too much, far too slowly. Cannot wait to have Thommo back. Sheehan had a weird one: sometimes excellent and sometimes dangerously complacent.

Plenty of stylish play, but not ruthless enough in the end. And lucky, too—particularly first half.

Bod and Collins looks a superb combination.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Alas poor Yor(i)k, I knew it well. Home v Barnsley, Sat Feb 3rd, 3-0' clock.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:08 pm

Worth noting that Tuesday at Cambridge is the first of our games in hand; Posh also play, at Exeter, but top two don't. Stevenage host Reading, too.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:08 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:05 pm
Dug in. We didn’t deserve any more than that. Collins looked encouraging. Shame Dions reacted to competition for his spot by performing like that!
I think Dion is in a slump at the moment.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:11 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:06 pm
Really entertaining game, all us then Barnsley had a right go then back to us. Collins and Bod, are our top 2 strikers right now. Shame we couldn't get the winner. Maghoma, Taylor, Dion and Victor were not so great for me, the rest were 10/10.
Harsh on Taylor. Dion and Victor must be shitting themselves as that was night and day difference when they went off. Agree with Paris, too many times he did too much when the easy ball earlier would've worked. One moment at the end when the ball to JDB was too late. JDB would've been clean through.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:11 pm

BorsdaneWhite wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:07 pm
I thought Paris was woeful. So frustrating. Did far too much, far too slowly. Cannot wait to have Thommo back. Sheehan had a weird one: sometimes excellent and sometimes dangerously complacent.
As I say I only saw the last half-hour but Paris did disappoint with his decision-making, which was often both ponderous and plain wrong. With Sheehan - Evatt wants us to be confident and be bold on the ball, and I can imagine that sometimes looks complacent when it doesn't work!! However, Barnsley's high press did worry us and we might need to work on what to do in that situation.
BorsdaneWhite wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:07 pm
Plenty of stylish play, but not ruthless enough in the end...
Bod and Collins looks a superb combination.
I hope Collins can get Dion out of his funk. I would expect the new boy to start at Cambridge but probably not with Bod. Big calls to make, again.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:12 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:11 pm
Agree with Paris, too many times he did too much when the easy ball earlier would've worked. One moment at the end when the ball to JDB was too late. JDB would've been clean through.
Demps did some of this too; too busying ball-carrying to look up.

I think/hope Collins will be more aware of the quick ball and hopefully he can get the others doing it too.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:13 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:08 pm
Worth noting that Tuesday at Cambridge is the first of our games in hand; Posh also play, at Exeter, but top two don't. Stevenage host Reading, too.
Not to put the pressure on, but Cambridge is a must-win I think.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:21 pm

When do we turn up as the 12th man at home?

Believe people, believe.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:24 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:00 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:58 pm
Not the result I was after, but enjoyed that overall. :-)
I missed the first hour, which maybe helps
We were progressing to final 1/3rd well first half, but with best chances probably from corners, they were countering. Lucky not to be 2 down at HT, but it didn't sorta feel like that. As someone who's been somewhat disengaged this season, it wasn't disengaging. They harried, they bent the rules, we usually found our way out when we had possession. They were all over us after HT, we fought back. At the end, bit disappointed we didn't snatch it. But entertained? Aye.

BorsdaneWhite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BorsdaneWhite » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:39 pm

I should say: it’s a good point against a side who customarily seem to have us sussed. I’m happy with it. And we looked to have had them worried as much as they, us. See how it goes, but it’d be good to see Charles get a rest and have him fight back to his blistering form.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:46 pm

Bit of context, two wins in our next two and this becomes a great result. It's stopped Barnsley gaining 3 on us. It's still in our hands to get back in the top two.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:59 pm

It's potentially already a really good result. Usually we end up struggling physically with these sides and despite them trying to outmuscle and physically impose themselves on Sheehan we seemed to come away with a level contest rather than capitulate.

It's a game where previously we would've struggled and possibly wilted with the early set back, but now we settled well and kept going. Sure it was a bad goal to concede but the response was really good and bodes well for the future

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:35 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:08 pm

I think Dion is in a slump at the moment.
I May be wrong, but his attitude seems a bit petulant right now. Except when he/we score, he never seems Mr Happy. I've watched him to be sure I wasn't imagining things' but the last three or four times he's been subbed for Bod he never shakes his hand, just barely touches fingers. I really like the man, but in fairness he isn't top striker and his form is wild to say the least. He has his magical moments occasionally, but we need a bit more than that. Come on Dion, get back to the man we know and love.. :oyea:

Three stand-out gems today were: Our super keeper, Kyle Dempsey and young Ashworth. Get some class around Dempsey's play making and we're smoking.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:41 pm

I think the result was better for us than Barnsley given they could and should have been 4-0 up before we scored.

Taylor clearly not fit yet and went down with cramp.

As some wag mentioned someone should check Sheehan’s betting slips tonight as he tried his best to get assist after assist for Barnsley. No idea what he was doing but clearly Barnsleys physical press rendered him absolutely useless. I was surprised he wasn’t hooked much earlier. No idea what went on but it was utterly abysmal.

Collins showed what a quality forward looks like with a cross that I don’t think can be beat and the sort of movement and quick feet that really excite. Bodvarrson also looked really good and suddenly the ball stuck up front.

Dion. I don’t know what’s happened to him but seriously it’s become a problem. He is in a rut. Play him out of it or give him a rest? It’s a conundrum.

Victor - I’d say that performance sums him up. A complete lack of any discernible football ability. Ask him to shove a defender and he’s fine but expect him to play football - might as well pick someone out of the crowd.

We massively missed Thomason. Maghoma was pretty weak. A few nice moments but far too much running into trouble.

Ashworth was excellent and wasn’t given enough of the ball.

Cogley also excellent.

Baxter MOTM as he kept us in it.

Onwards and upwards hopefully.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:41 pm
I think the result was better for us than Barnsley given they could and should have been 4-0 up before we scored.

As some wag mentioned someone should check Sheehan’s betting slips tonight as he tried his best to get assist after assist for Barnsley. No idea what he was doing but clearly Barnsleys physical press rendered him absolutely useless. I was surprised he wasn’t hooked much earlier. No idea what went on but it was absolutely abysmal.

Collins showed what a quality forward looks like with a cross that I don’t think can be beat and the sort of movement and quick feet that really excite. Bodvarrson also looked really good and suddenly the ball stuck up front.

Dion. I don’t know what’s happened to him but seriously it’s become a problem. He is in a rut. Play him out of it or give him a rest? It’s a conundrum.

Victor - I’d say that performance sums him up. A complete lack of any discernible football ability. Ask him to shove a defender and he’s fine but expect him to play football - might as well pick someone out of the crowd.

We massively missed Thomason. Maghoma was pretty weak. A few nice moments but far too much running into trouble.

Cogley also excellent.

Agree with most of that.

However, FFS can you please lay off Sheehan and Vic. Please.

Sheehan was kicked off the park every time he had the ball. Yep, I'll admit he made 3 (I think) very sloppy passes to Barnsley players, but he kept on trying to play his usual game under a lot of pressure. In posts of yours today you've described him as "a liability", "utterly abysmal" and utterly useless" (have I missed any?). I mean - come on - really......

He's one of, if not the, best midfielders in the division - which is exactly why Barnsley targetted him to nullify him. Calling him a liability is a f*cking joke.....

As for Vic - you've labelled him a liability before as well - and he simply is not. Granted I don't think today was his best performance, but in recent weeks he's been superb. I'm sorry to say it, but your description of him having "a complete lack of any discernible football ability" says a hell of a lot more of your understanding of the game than it does about Vic's standing within it.

Why can't you just accept that sometimes it doesn't always go our way, and ultimately we ended up with a hard-won point in a game we could easily of lost?

On the others, then I like the look of Taylor - he saw a lot of the ball and ran himself into the ground given the amount of football he's played recently. He can - and should - be very proud of his debut for us.

Iredale was solid and tried to progress us up the pitch when he could - I just wish he would keep his hands down when challenging and he was lucky to avoid a yellow.

Toal / JDC were solid as well, and I thought Ashworth was excellent - quickly allaying any fears we had of him being able to step into Williams' shoes.

All in all, a very good point gained, when it would have been all too easy to have lost all 3....
Last edited by dave the minion on Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:02 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:16 am
WRT social media, life works the way you choose to let it. Social media is not compulsory.
Try telling that to professional footballers whose kids get beaten up at school because of stuff written about their dad online.

Sorry, but you're well out of it here.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:03 pm

I’d of backed Vic on that chance Bod got near the end. Him and Collins up top for me. Charles? Not even sure he should be on the bench on Tuesday!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:04 pm

We were dire for a lot of that. We set up expecting the "new and improved Barnsley" and they played us like it was the play-offs.

We were better for a short spell at the start of the second, but then fell to pieces.

Only real positive was that the subs had a genuine impact.

Tie it off and move on. Winnable games coming up and we need the points, because it starts to get hard soon.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:12 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:03 pm
I’d of backed Vic on that chance Bod got near the end. Him and Collins up top for me. Charles? Not even sure he should be on the bench on Tuesday!

It feels like he's completely tailed off. We're at the stage now where a spell on the sidelines would probably do him good.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:17 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:00 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:41 pm

As some wag mentioned someone should check Sheehan’s betting slips tonight as he tried his best to get assist after assist for Barnsley. No idea what he was doing but clearly Barnsleys physical press rendered him absolutely useless. I was surprised he wasn’t hooked much earlier. No idea what went on but it was absolutely abysmal.

Cogley also excellent.

Agree with most of that.

However, FFS can you please lay off Sheehan and Vic. Please.

Sheehan was kicked off the park every time he had the ball. Yep, I'll admit he made 3 (I think) very sloppy passes to Barnsley players, but he kept on trying to play his usual game under a lot of pressure. In posts of yours today you've described him as "a liability", "utterly abysmal" and utterly useless" (have I missed any?). I mean - come on - really......

He's one of, if not the, best midfielders in the division - which is exactly why Barnsley targetted him to nullify him. Calling him a liability is a f*cking joke.....

As for Vic - you've labelled him a liability before as well - and he simply is not. Granted I don't think today was his best performance, but in recent weeks he's been superb. I'm sorry to say it, but your description of him having "a complete lack of any discernible football ability" says a hell of a lot more of your understanding of the game than it does about Vic's standing within it.

Why can't you just accept that sometimes it doesn't always go our way, and ultimately we ended up with a hard-won point in a game we could easily of lost?

On the others, then I like the look of Taylor - he saw a lot of the ball and ran himself into the ground given the amount of football he's played recently. He can - and should - be very proud of his debut for us.

Iredale was solid and tried to progress us up the pitch when he could - I just wish he would keep his hands down when challenging and he was lucky to avoid a yellow.

Toal / JDC were solid as well, and I thought Ashworth was excellent - quickly allaying any fears we had of him being able to step into Williams' shoes.

All in all, a very good point gained, when it would have been all too easy to have lost all 3....
Sheehan has been superb for most of this season. But today and notably on a few other occasions when a team targets him with a physical press he and we tend to fall apart.

That’s not to say he’s no good. But he does struggle in those games and I think it’s a thing we need to find a solution for. Because better sides in the run in will do that. It’s not all on Sheehan a lot of the time because the solution lies often in going behind him into the other midfield lads. Today Baxter didn’t do that and Taylor struggling second half physically compounded our problems. But I mean Sheehan almost gifted them goal after goal. He got it in bad areas at times but still. Bad day at the office.

As for Vic - he’s fine if you are playing a certain way. Gus best game against Luton where we asked him to run the channel and fight and rough up their defenders. Against a physical press the ball goes into him and then bounces out. Even nice passes rolled along the ground end up being lost because his touch is abysmal. It is. Nobody can suggest it’s not. There is a place for him when we need that physical presence and running but today we needed the ball to stick. He works hard but I just don’t think he’s very good at all. He simply can’t do with his feet what Bod or Collins for example can.