Alas poor Yor(i)k, I knew it well. Home v Barnsley, Sat Feb 3rd, 3-0' clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Alas poor Yor(i)k, I knew it well. Home v Barnsley, Sat Feb 3rd, 3-0' clock.

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:35 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:26 pm
I suspect CamJem will be back to being the “defensive forward” sub.

What’s more fascinating to me is Evatt’s use of CMG. He can play as a second forward but presumably that’s now Collins’ domain. He could be an attacking 8 but perhaps only when we’re either chasing the game or totally dominant - not, I’d suggest, for a day like today. Could also play as an attacking WB but now we have options there, too. Maybe as a pacy forward if that’s what’s needed?

I'd only like to see him tried in the latter.

That and the No. 10 are the only two positions we have where he could reasonably accommodated in my opinion.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: Alas poor Yor(i)k, I knew it well. Home v Barnsley, Sat Feb 3rd, 3-0' clock.

Post by Mar » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:48 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:09 pm
Oxford now drawing, if we don't finish above them we won't be in the top six.
They're playing their way out of contention. Middling form since mid November.

They could still get promoted, but they'd need a turn around to really kick start any promotion push. I suspect the wake up call they'll need is when they drop out of the play off spots.

As for our squad its good to see make-shift captain Toal fit and raring to go. Not sure about the ultra attacking bench especially with the physical approach Barnsley usually are associated with. The defensive capabilities of Jerome must've won out over the safety of a backup goalkeeper. Guess it makes sense when we're shy of big bulky players on the bench.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:55 pm

The couch is out, right window curtains are closed but I'll open them shortly for those that care about the view that way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:56 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:34 pm
Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:28 pm
I think we are all gonna have to get (back) used to a goalieless bench.

Oh and FWIW I think it’s currently a four-way battle for the top two with the rest squabbling over playoffs. Could change but only with ling strings of results, positive or negative.
I think that's likeliest, just that I wouldn't write a top 6 side out, just yet, on the "never give a mug a chance" principle. :-)
It's a principle that's stood you well, sir. I'd certainly be annoyed and worried if we lost a game to a top-sixer.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:57 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:35 pm
Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:26 pm
I suspect CamJem will be back to being the “defensive forward” sub.

What’s more fascinating to me is Evatt’s use of CMG. He can play as a second forward but presumably that’s now Collins’ domain. He could be an attacking 8 but perhaps only when we’re either chasing the game or totally dominant - not, I’d suggest, for a day like today. Could also play as an attacking WB but now we have options there, too. Maybe as a pacy forward if that’s what’s needed?

I'd only like to see him tried in the latter.

That and the No. 10 are the only two positions we have where he could reasonably accommodated in my opinion.
I think it depends on the opposition and the game state. If we're chasing the game against a low block he could be an 8. Against transitional high-scorers like Barnsley, it'd be very risky.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:58 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:48 pm
Not sure about the ultra attacking bench especially with the physical approach Barnsley usually are associated with. The defensive capabilities of Jerome must've won out over the safety of a backup goalkeeper. Guess it makes sense when we're shy of big bulky players on the bench.
Are they as physical this season, though? They lost their manager and entire defence over summer.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:02 pm

Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:58 pm
Mar wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:48 pm
Not sure about the ultra attacking bench especially with the physical approach Barnsley usually are associated with. The defensive capabilities of Jerome must've won out over the safety of a backup goalkeeper. Guess it makes sense when we're shy of big bulky players on the bench.
Are they as physical this season, though? They lost their manager and entire defence over summer.
No, they're not. But that's not to say they're not going to look back on last season's game and think we won this through our physical approach. It's incentive for a repeat for them surely, despite them being overly physical in most games.

Little bit of animosity between Connell and Evatt in the past, so i'd imagine that's likely to be a seed in the mind of some (Connell / Evatt / fans).

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:05 pm

Bodes well that Earl has started for them, not yet had chance for him to get up to speed. Although, we can say the same with Taylor.

As for the, are they as physical comment, would certainly look like they are given the number of physical challenges Dion's had in the opening 3 mins.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:07 pm

feck, Toaly should’ve buried that.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:07 pm

Oh feck off, get the fecking head on it you daft twots.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:08 pm

Freedom of the City.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:08 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:07 pm
feck, Toaly should’ve buried that.
Taylor, and others were all queuing up behind him. Missed opportunity.

At the other end... fk. Sloppy defending.

Queue Barnsley timewasting. Silly pirouette's from their keeper.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:09 pm

Plenty of time left.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:11 pm

That's piss poor. No way should we be conceding goals like that.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:14 pm

Pompey go 1-0 up over Northampton. Plenty of time.

Should've had two goals up top, both seemed like free headers. Some positive signs, despite us being behind

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:15 pm

Terrible decision from Dion.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:16 pm

Maghoma and Vic both as annoyed as us fans with that shot Dion. Low cross ffs.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:19 pm

Our front two are a comedy act. Bumbling through and losing it.

FFS some cohesion please.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:20 pm

Taylor looks pretty dominant at the back, although often doesn't know what to do when in possession! Suppose that will come with familiarity

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:21 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:20 pm
Taylor looks pretty dominant at the back, although often doesn't know what to do when in possession! Suppose that will come with familiarity

And also when the players in front of him start showing for it.