Alas poor Yor(i)k, I knew it well. Home v Barnsley, Sat Feb 3rd, 3-0' clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Alas poor Yor(i)k, I knew it well. Home v Barnsley, Sat Feb 3rd, 3-0' clock.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:21 pm

Yet another War of the Roses on the calendar as the Tykes sally forth from the Dales to visit The Toughsheet Stadium this weekend. With four new faces in the possible line-up, the Whites have to hope the injury jinx hasn't disrupted the promotion hopes of the Supers too much. Ogbeta (one appearance already), Ramsay, Collins and Taylor wear the Bolton shirt with the hopes of us all for a win over the Rad Roser's. (Note the Oxford Comma, very vernacular, us Trotters) :wink: Captain Cool and Toal are both declared injured unavailable so...que-sera.

Anyway we have to expect a real ding-dong do because little separates us from each other (we have five points and a game in hand to the good as it stands) and The Tykes won't come here to lose. In short, no mercy and get the first goal. It will, without doubt be a rough-house scrap, so up and at em as ever... :Jedi:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Alas poor Yor(i)k, I knew it well. Home v Barnsley, Sat Feb 3rd, 3-0' clock.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:24 pm

Hmm, not 100% I'm going to make this one.

My wife has said I'm too sick to go and threatened to tie me to the bed. Whist that might ordinarily be a cause for celebration, I'm not sure she meant it that way.

I don't think we can expect to be some kind of unstoppable juggernaut because we've had a decent window. Collins is fully fit, but not adjusted. The other 3 aren't properly match fit yet.

I would hope wed put on a real show, but I'll take any kind of win against a good side with an exceptional striker for the level.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Alas poor Yor(i)k, I knew it well. Home v Barnsley, Sat Feb 3rd, 3-0' clock.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:42 pm

Some big choices to make. Does Collins start or bide his time? Do we open with the threat of Ogbeta and Ramsay or the solidity of Ashworth and JDC? Does Taylor or Toal start in the middle of defence? With Thomo still suspended, is a midfield of Sheehan-Dempsey-Maghoma strong enough?

In all those cases it’s good to have options, as the squad now gives us. As I’ve said I don’t expect this game to be anything like as drum-tight as last season’s playoffs; Barnsley score lots but concede lots, and with a defence in flux we would be slightly surprised and wholly delighted to keep a clean sheet. But so would Barnsley.

I don’t think the first goal wins this, although as ever it would help. But we should be able to change the game from the bench - and play a high-tempo game throughout.

If we start with, say:

Baxter; Toal, Taylor, Iredale; JDC, Demps, Sheehan, Maghoma, Ashworth; Adeboyejo, Charles

Then we should be able to bring on Ogbeta and Ramsay out wide, serving a front two of Collins and Bodvarsson (who could play at point with Collins dropping off him), with Mendes Gomes asking questions centrally to replace Demps/Maghoma.

That, you have to say, is a very strong refresh of half the team, able to come on and run at Barnsley’s wobbly defence. Meanwhile, those substitutes get a breather and get ready to go again in the next game - whether from the start or the bench.

Now cast your mind forward and think that after this game we can add Thomo to the midfield. Then Forrester, Gethin and after that Rico to the back-line options. And before you know it Randell’s back as a weapon on either side.

It’s good. I’m genuinely excited to see what this squad could achieve. And I’m damn glad my team’s not facing it.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:50 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:42 pm
With Thomo still suspended, is a midfield of Sheehan-Dempsey-Maghoma strong enough?
This is the big one, for me.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:31 pm

Sheehan/Demps/Maghoma is the strongest midfield we have available. I’d like to see Ramsay continue at RWB. Ashworth has earned his shirt. Up front I wouldn’t mind seeing Victor and Collins.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:21 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:31 pm
Sheehan/Demps/Maghoma is the strongest midfield we have available.
Sorry, not my best word choice. By “strong” I don’t mean “good”. I mean “defensively aware”.

To me, Demps and Maghoma are good as free 8s when we are in possession - so fed by Sheehan, yeah they’ll rip some sides apart. But when we lose the ball, are they switched on positionally?

Evatt seems to expect this game to be won and lost in transition. Not to state the obvious but I think it’ll be partly that and partly chance creation/conversion. I’m confident but I think we will miss Thomo and had he been available he’d have started, with one of Paris or Demps on the bench. Right now I don’t think Morley is a contender - but I don’t pick the team.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:09 pm

I think the operative bit mighta been "available" DSB. :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:21 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:09 pm
Possibly aye. :D

But what I think is our “best” midfield depends on opponent strength(s). Home to a drop-dodger, Sheehan behind Demps and Paris is possibly our best starting trio (for now…). Against a team with a good attack, as Barnsley’s unquestionably is, I might prefer Thomo as one of the 8s.

It’s not just a dry academic discussion either - from the sound of Collins’ interview it seems to have been mentioned in conversation with Evatt that the new lad might “even” play at 10 behind two strikers on occasion. If so we would need a strong (heh) balance in the midfield two behind him.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:56 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:21 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:09 pm
Possibly aye. :D

But what I think is our “best” midfield depends on opponent strength(s). Home to a drop-dodger, Sheehan behind Demps and Paris is possibly our best starting trio (for now…). Against a team with a good attack, as Barnsley’s unquestionably is, I might prefer Thomo as one of the 8s.

It’s not just a dry academic discussion either - from the sound of Collins’ interview it seems to have been mentioned in conversation with Evatt that the new lad might “even” play at 10 behind two strikers on occasion. If so we would need a strong (heh) balance in the midfield two behind him.
Yes sir, nothing to disagree with there, but with that said and considering our opponents, Thomo's game off and Morley's at best patchy form, then Maghoma, Demps and Sheehan probably should be our pick.

How we doing for CB's who might at a pinch fill a defensive MF role? :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:36 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:56 pm
How we doing for CB's who might at a pinch fill a defensive MF role? :-)
Heh! Well soon enough we’ll have Rico, Toal and Taylor as the Big Lads plus Iredale, Forrester and Gethin as the Littler Fellas… of those, I can imagine Geth and Jack doing a job in midfield at a push… but we shouldn’t need it now 😃

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:56 am

Baxter

Taylor Toal Iredale

Sheehan

JDC Maghoma Dempsey Ogbeta

Vic Charles

Would be what I'd plump for.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:30 am

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:56 am
Baxter

Taylor Toal Iredale

Sheehan

Vic Charles

I can't see any way Ogbeta starts tbh - assuming Ashworth is fit. Evatt was talking about needing to get Ogbeta and Ramsey up to speed but not wanting to 'break them' I don't think either are 'starting' bar an emergency.

I also wonder whether IF Forrester and Toal are deemed fit to play and in Forrester's case 'ready', that Taylor might not start. It is a pretty big ask to arrive then a day later be chucked into a back three having not played much this season. I mean needs must of course but if Evatt has a way not to do that....if the risk of WF and ET isn't too big? Wouldn't surprise me. Evatt has said though that Taylor will play centre of a back three initially.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:38 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:30 am
The_Gun wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:56 am
Baxter

Taylor Toal Iredale

Sheehan

Vic Charles

I can't see any way Ogbeta starts tbh - assuming Ashworth is fit. Evatt was talking about needing to get Ogbeta and Ramsey up to speed but not wanting to 'break them' I don't think either are 'starting' bar an emergency.

I also wonder whether IF Forrester and Toal are deemed fit to play and in Forrester's case 'ready', that Taylor might not start. It is a pretty big ask to arrive then a day later be chucked into a back three having not played much this season. I mean needs must of course but if Evatt has a way not to do that....if the risk of WF and ET isn't too big? Wouldn't surprise me. Evatt has said though that Taylor will play centre of a back three initially.
The impression that i'm getting is that Taylor's the likely replacement cover for Santos/Toal to keep them rested and healthy.
Forrester is likely to be available but that may just be a case of too soon.

It wouldn't surprise me if we see JDC in the back three with Ramsay wide right. If Forrester is available and no longer needs careful consideration then we'll see him play, but I wouldn't be surprised to see JDC, Toal and Iredale.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:57 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:24 pm
Hmm, not 100% I'm going to make this one.

My wife has said I'm too sick to go and threatened to tie me to the bed. Whist that might ordinarily be a cause for celebration, I'm not sure she meant it that way.

I don't think we can expect to be some kind of unstoppable juggernaut because we've had a decent window. Collins is fully fit, but not adjusted. The other 3 aren't properly match fit yet.

I would hope wed put on a real show, but I'll take any kind of win against a good side with an exceptional striker for the level.
Want me to save you place on the couch? We have Lemsip.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:02 am

DJBlu wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:57 am
I appreciate the offer, but I think I'm going to load up on ibuprofen and brave it.

Huge game in the season and probably Collins' first appearance. My kid would hate to miss it.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:03 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:02 am
DJBlu wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:57 am
I appreciate the offer, but I think I'm going to load up on ibuprofen and brave it.

Huge game in the season and probably Collins' first appearance. My kid would hate to miss it.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:09 am

DJBlu wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:03 am
Nice to be properly appreciated :lol:

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:11 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:09 am
DJBlu wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:03 am
Nice to be properly appreciated :lol:
:lol:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:15 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:50 pm

This is the big one, for me.
For me too. Always a hard one to call at best as Barnsley are among the best in our League. Harder still now with the Four Horsemen of the Tansfer List in the frame. Dare we take chances on the unknowns based just on reputations or do we have enough without some of our first teamer's missing.? We have to consider a draw here (much as we don't want to) but not losing has to be the big priority, which will leave our relative league positions unchanged as long as Posh and Derby don't win. ( we still have our games in hand :Three on Portsmouth, two on Derby and one on Posh) but winning must still be our prime target. It's all that close up the top end barring Portsmouth who must be favourites for three points over Northampton..??

So then, in the words of Mr Shakespeare, hopefully to describe the Tykes manager at 5-0'clock come Saturday:" “You have a February face, so full of frost, of storm and cloudiness.” ... :mrgreen:

"COME ON YOU WHITES !" .... :oyea: :oyea:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:18 am

We'll shit em!

COYWM!!!!