Alas poor Yor(i)k, I knew it well. Home v Barnsley, Sat Feb 3rd, 3-0' clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Alas poor Yor(i)k, I knew it well. Home v Barnsley, Sat Feb 3rd, 3-0' clock.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:11 pm

The day ended much as one with two teams like ours in opposition probably would. There are no free lunches in this division, but we're holding our own and I don't reckon we're far off track. Every team we play are going to be defensive conscious. Just let's be a bit more "at home" in our own half. There were a few times today when it looked like Deane Golf Club back there, and good strikers (which there are quite a few of) don't need much invitation to come visiting. On one occasion there were five Barnsley black shirts against one White one. Luckily, offside got called. On ward and upward ( okay, Cambridge is downwards then) for Tuesday. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Alas poor Yor(i)k, I knew it well. Home v Barnsley, Sat Feb 3rd, 3-0' clock.

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:25 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:14 pm
I thought Cogley defended well and covered his side well. He always shows for it, never hides. What I do think is Ramsay looks like he has a better end product - really want him to start next match - we need to improve in that final third to get in front. JDC may well be the man to start against the top 5 or 6 teams but want to use this lad from Liverpool now he’s here!
I'm sure it was him who lost his man for the goal today. Barnsley lad drifted past to head it across goal then Paris and Ashworth stationary. A header away would negate the need to block the shot but they needed to do better too.

Other than this I thought he played well.

Just watched that Toal header, anywhere to the right and it's a goal. Big moments.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:47 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:14 pm
I thought Cogley defended well and covered his side well. He always shows for it, never hides. What I do think is Ramsay looks like he has a better end product - really want him to start next match - we need to improve in that final third to get in front. JDC may well be the man to start against the top 5 or 6 teams but want to use this lad from Liverpool now he’s here!
Too early to say on Ramsey. Few times he’s crossed it, it hasn’t been great but it’s a small sample.
To be honest I think that's a failing of the strikers. He's been putting some good balls in.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:16 am

Reference Dion, he has 17 goals this season from 35 games?

He scored 21 last season from 52 games but he's currently in crisis?

I've been frustrated during the past few games but this really did surprise me as I thought he'd scored less.

He's got a better goal to game ratio so must be due a hat trick soon.

Worth a £10 punt in the next few games.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:53 am

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:16 am
Reference Dion, he has 17 goals this season from 35 games?

He scored 21 last season from 52 games but he's currently in crisis?

I've been frustrated during the past few games but this really did surprise me as I thought he'd scored less.

He's got a better goal to game ratio so must be due a hat trick soon.

Worth a £10 punt in the next few games.

I think he looks exhausted, frustrated, and is missing very good goal-scoring opportunities.

He could well do with a rest.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:37 am

Looking at their goal again I’d say Taylor is mainly at fault as he lets their man get in front of him. He’s got to be in front and winning the ball. Then Maghoma is asleep and lets his man drift past him. It’s not a good one to concede. Understandable with new boys in the defence but key on these is not losing the first header.

Also Sheehan looks even worse in the highlights than he did live….

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:48 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:37 am
Looking at their goal again I’d say Taylor is mainly at fault as he lets their man get in front of him. He’s got to be in front and winning the ball. Then Maghoma is asleep and lets his man drift past him. It’s not a good one to concede. Understandable with new boys in the defence but key on these is not losing the first header.

I'm going to prove you factually incorrect ... again?
start.png
start.png (3.11 MiB) Viewed 461 times
Note starting position of Toal who has eyes on his man, he even starts to follow him but stops his run? Taylor has his back to him, notices the runner then tries to catch him. It might be the zonal marking but to say he's at fault for not tracking a man who was behind him is a typical Insane comment.
end.png
end.png (2.23 MiB) Viewed 461 times
Look at JDC already heading a ball that isn't there yet. If he keeps his eyes on the ball then goes for the header then it's cleared away and we reset.

The ball is to the left of JDC the other ball is out of play on a stand.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:16 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:48 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:37 am

I'm going to prove you factually incorrect ... again?

start.png

Note starting position of Toal who has eyes on his man, he even starts to follow him but stops his run? Taylor has his back to him, notices the runner then tries to catch him. It might be the zonal marking but to say he's at fault for not tracking a man who was behind him is a typical Insane comment.

end.png

Look at JDC already heading a ball that isn't there yet. If he keeps his eyes on the ball then goes for the header then it's cleared away and we reset.

The ball is to the left of JDC the other ball is out of play on a stand.
Usually on long throws Santos is the free man near post to get to the front and win the first header. I assume that is the idea here with Taylor instead of Santos. JDC is the block. Taylor is a bit too hesitant to go win that header. But it is what it is - it’s his first game.

The way we are set up to defend that Taylor comes to head it. JDC blocks the space.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:14 pm

The most annoying thing to me about their goal, is that we'd never have scored it. The throw in would have gone backwards and have been back with Baxter 2 touches later. It's my only real criticism of Evattball, it can be too prescriptive at times. Just the occasional mix-up of approach can mess with the oppositions heads, or create a golden opportunity.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"