There's a Moose loose about these U's Take Twos. Cambridge United Away. 20/02/2024

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

There's a Moose loose about these U's Take Twos. Cambridge United Away. 20/02/2024

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:30 pm

Getting this one in early as I don't think I've started a thread this season.

We're going to embarrass a team soon and I do hope it's sooner rather than later.

I'd say our strikers need some goals so this would be a lovely time to start getting some.

Not predicting as I don't know what side will turn up.

All I can say is

COYWM!!!!!

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Re: There's a Moose loose about these U's, Cambridge United Away 6th Feb 2024

Post by jmjhb » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:43 pm

This is a must-win imo if we have automatic promotion targets. It's all well and good having games in hand but gotta get the points eventually.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:08 am

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:43 pm
This is a must-win imo if we have automatic promotion targets. It's all well and good having games in hand but gotta get the points eventually.
I mean yes but equally we have to acknowledge we are going through a tricky patch here with key injuries and new players being integrated. It feels like a classic mini Evatt slump period and then we come through the other side hopefully.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:15 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:08 am
jmjhb wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:43 pm
I mean yes but equally we have to acknowledge we are going through a tricky patch here with key injuries and new players being integrated. It feels like a classic mini Evatt slump period and then we come through the other side hopefully.
Hopefully not. The next 4 should all be winnable. After that, tougher games start coming again and I’m sure we’ll be dropping some points there no matter how well we’re going. The next 4 feel like an ideal opportunity to get some points on the board.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:32 am

Think the top 5 are all on the same "run" which is helping. Last 5 league games everyone is at W3 D1 L1...in that sense, it's no more of a "slump" than any other team...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:26 pm

Got a persistent feeling that every game for the rest of the season is going to be a low scoring one. I base this on the fact that most of the teams will have sussed that we are beatable if they keep us out and grab a chance when it comes; in other words, emulate ourselves. High scores, going off the seasons stats so far, are as rare as rickshaws in Ramsbottom and alligators in Halifax and we are no exception.. It used to be "Where no vultures fly", but they are circling round Cambridge like wasps round a Jaffa-cake just waiting to pounce.

With this firmly in mind I have to do a boring Sherlock and say we really must finish our chances off. Near-misses, hard lucks and referee rantings won't change that. Add to that the amount of defensive errors we made against Barnsley could have seen us lose by five goals. We need that bit of confidence a decent win brings, so come on lads, show us the Bolton we know and love... :oyea:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:42 pm

I want six points from the next two, then see where we're at. Remember this (Cambridge) is one of our games in hand. Posh also play Tuesday (at Exeter), but Pompey and Derby don't.

I expect Collins will start - question is with who. Obviously we all want Dion to start firing again and I suspect Collins is the man to load the bullets. It's partly about striker types and whether they work well together as a partnership; not just the starting pair but the two "finishers". Does Vic-and-Bod make sense? I dunno...

Thomason into midfield - probably for Maghoma, as Dempsey had the better game, although Evatt seemed to have kind words for Paris. I would expect Sheehan to start again unless he's been kicked insensitive; if so, Morley has to prove himself as the quarterback, or Tomo might soon take over as Sheehan's deputy with Paris and Demps (or CMG) as the free 8s. But that's futurology.

Ramsay will be pushing for a start and JDC could use a rest - though probably only to the bench. On the other side, Ogbeta needs minutes despite Ashworth's impressive showing; Evatt might swap them out with kind words for the kid, whom he might well plan to reinstate for the next game. There's a world with Ashworth and JDC as the starting wingbacks and Ogbeta and Ramsay coming on as subs, but we do also need to rotate - it's a demanding role, when we're playing 3x per week.

At the back, we need to ask the medics (and hope they give better advice than Palace's did re Olise...). Evatt says Rico's out for 7-10 days or 2-3 games. Also said Caleb Taylor was just cramp so he'll be fine. Didn't mention Forrester; though he might be ready, Evatt seems to see him as more of a "box defender" than an attack-minded creator - so while it'd be nice to rest Toal, are these two games the right ones to play Forrester? Moreover, we may well see the return of Gethin - if fit and ready.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:17 pm

I don't think Collins will be left out either but I think Vic might be up there with him. Dion is trying too hard for me at the minute. Needs to chill and refresh the batteries.

70 min swap for them, JDB and Dion then to see the game out.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:24 pm

It comes down to what Evatt thinks is best for Dion. He’s our top scorer. Having a rough patch. Does he need rest. Does he need backing?

End of the day the long term plan must be to play them in the same side. Collins should be able to supply the chances for Dion which I think most of the season we’ve been missing.

Bod showed the sort of performance we need Vic to show. Make the ball stick. Use it quickly and intelligently. Stop tripping over your own feet. The goal we scored had the two strikers linking up beautifully. But it relies on them having some sort of touch that isn’t awful.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:56 pm

Yeah we now have the luxury of rotating the team without weakening ourselves, so I hope and expect Evatt to take advantage of that.

Ramsay, Ogbeta, Thomason, Collins and Bod all in from the start, for me.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:22 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:17 pm
I don't think Collins will be left out either but I think Vic might be up there with him. Dion is trying too hard for me at the minute. Needs to chill and refresh the batteries.

70 min swap for them, JDB and Dion then to see the game out.
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:24 pm
It comes down to what Evatt thinks is best for Dion. He’s our top scorer. Having a rough patch. Does he need rest. Does he need backing?

End of the day the long term plan must be to play them in the same side. Collins should be able to supply the chances for Dion which I think most of the season we’ve been missing.
Can see both sides of this. You have to imagine Evatt has been working toward the AC/DC partnership and I think Collins - an unselfish 10 if still a personally dangerous goalscorer - will dovetail well with Dion, who's, well, let's call him a striker. :D

Vic has also unselfishly changed his game to work with Dion, but as noted, when he's on point and sniffing in the 18-yard box, he's got a good completion rate. Ghost has gone into detail about how he (Vic not Ghost) needs balls across the box to tuck home; I think both our new wingbacks can provide those sorts of crosses - the ones Baka used to thrive on! - and Collins has already shown he can find a man.

That said, I don't think Evatt will be casting Dion asunder for long. He's in a rut and he's always prone to a miss, but undeniably he scores goals. If the service gets more regular he'll score more regularly.

So it's partly about managing the player - if he's out of the XI on Tuesday, will he sulk? Or conversely "try too hard" and snatch at things when he comes on? It will need careful management, in private and in public.

And it will also require, as I say, thought about partnerships. AC/DC should work; AC/VA I can imagine working. But what about after the subs, which aren't always simultaneous but often very close together? Does JDB/DC work better as a combo than JDB/VA? Should we rest Dion, hope the job's done and Cambridge are collapsing, and get him a goal late on to kickstart him? Having Dion as sub would at least lessen the feeling there's no goals on the bench – but it might also increase the noise from the fans if it's not going to plan...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:30 pm

I'm going to sweeps clause it. Perm any XI from available bodies. Win 1-0 or better! :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:34 pm

Bod seems to be a patient soul; at least there's been no evidence of his complaining. He's just the sort we need either in the side or on the bench and with five potential front men, somebody is needed to just be available and ready. Been a while since we've had such luxury in the squad and we have to just trust the Boss to handle it. Dion's current lack of form is actually making selection easier for us to see, but I doubt very much that is his view of things. If he should start firing on all cylinders, well, Quo Vadis..?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:11 pm

AC/DC - very good, DSB.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:21 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:11 pm
AC/DC - very good, DSB.
I didn’t make it up but it does amuse me

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:04 am

The Collins transfer certain makes things interesting. Charles hasn't scored a goal for a month now and it's plain to see he's having a tough time of it.

I'm hoping it's not a permanent trend.

I do wonder how much him moving house, transfer speculation, etc has played a part in his recent troubles. Imagine going to buy a new house to help settle in the area and then being told a new signing is coming in to compete up top after already having spent money on Nlundulu and Vic. You'd definitely start wondering whether you're in the managers plans going forward or whether you were likely to be touted for sale due to value being high. Buying a house is a risky prospect and I'd imagine it's given pause for thought.

I'm hoping Evatt has reached out to calm Dions concerns but Evatt doesn't strike me as the sort given his treatment of Sarcevic. I think his remit is, if a player has to go for the good of the club then so be it.

Still were on to new territory. Do we play Charles and Collins to get the ball to Charles to kick-start his goalscoring or do we play Collins and Vic given Vics high finishing percentages.

I'm hoping we go Charles and Collins to try it out. Would love Dion to start scoring again and the trickery of Bod and work rate of Vic should help going forward.

Little room for Jerome I guess. I wouldn't be surprised to see him used interchangeably with Bod as the sub to come on, more as a favour to Jerome and keep him onside like the rest of our playing staff.

I fully expect Thomason to start on Tuesday aswell as Ogbeta and Ramsay. Happy with the rotation and certainly not a critique of Ashworths performance.

There's no way I'd be expecting Forrester back in given his injury. More time to check on that recovery rather than forcing the issue. Jones on the other hand I'd say cokes straight into contention. He's been missed.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:47 am

Some of the stuff on Charles I see written is wild.

Let’s add some stats.

Last ten games Charles has 2 goals.

Adboyejo also has 2 goals.

Last 20 games Charles 7 Adeboyejo 3.

Some serious perspective needed. Charles is our top goalscorer and even in a slump is far better than Adeboyejo.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:36 am

But more importantly for you, Vic is Vic and he seems to be bearing the brunt of your current attacks on the team. Even if the stats were reversed you'd still be peddling cr@p to justify why Dion is better......

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:15 am

I think we're I Dion, I wouldn't be too worried about the new signing in respect of long term plans, given I also signed a contract extension in August until 2026 and I'm still parked as leading scorer

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:32 am

dave the minion wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:36 am
But more importantly for you, Vic is Vic and he seems to be bearing the brunt of your current attacks on the team. Even if the stats were reversed you'd still be peddling cr@p to justify why Dion is better......
Attacks on the team? Dear me. I’m responding to the nonsense I see written about our top scorer (those attacks on the team) and explaining why it is nonsense. He’s our top scorer for a reason. He’s having a hard time. For sure. But context is still he’s our best striker and if Collins does take that mantle then he’d be our second best.