There's a Moose loose about these U's Take Twos. Cambridge United Away. 20/02/2024

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: There's a Moose loose about these U's Take Twos. Cambridge United Away. 20/02/2024

Post by Mar » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:13 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:44 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:26 pm
Never in doubt. Or something…

Does anyone else think CMG looks much more effective up front than in midfield for us?
I think he looks less... potentially risky. He's very much not a "percentages" player - he'll zig when you expect him to zag. As an 8 that could be weird for his teammates (and defensively dangerous?), but as a 10 or 9 it's a kinda chaos engine, changemaker and frankly matchwinner thing.

It's an interesting conundrum. In the last 4 games he's played a half at Northampton when we'd torn up the formation, and he scored the equaliser; then tonight we played him up front and he scored the winner. In the two games between he was apologetically lobbed on in the 80-oddth minute. Give him time and he'll do things.

Tonight's performance might have given him a strong chance to play up top again, especially in away games (and they're in glut right now). Problem is that his best position might be 10, which is the same as Bod and the big new signing.
I still think he's that pacey pressure the opposition player in the same mould as N'lundulu and Charles, however, he's seemingly suited to be able to do a number of roles and contribute, CAM and RWB for example.

Different story for JDB, who you'd argue was in the same mould as Jerome and Adeboyejo.

Flexibility is the key with him.

I'm yet to figure out exactly where Collins fits into our system. I'd suspect he'd be lining up to fill that CAM role.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: There's a Moose loose about these U's Take Twos. Cambridge United Away. 20/02/2024

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:39 am

Noticeable difference in the second half. We increased the tempo and Cambridge struggled to compete. I have no idea why of late our first half performances have been so lame. There were no changes at half time so Evatt probably read the riot act. Jones was my Man of the Match. Didn't put a foot wrong.

Our big guns will now start returning. I have a feeling that despite the tougher games ahead, we will end the season strong.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:07 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:44 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:26 pm
Never in doubt. Or something…

Does anyone else think CMG looks much more effective up front than in midfield for us?
I think he looks less... potentially risky. He's very much not a "percentages" player - he'll zig when you expect him to zag. As an 8 that could be weird for his teammates (and defensively dangerous?), but as a 10 or 9 it's a kinda chaos engine, changemaker and frankly matchwinner thing.

It's an interesting conundrum. In the last 4 games he's played a half at Northampton when we'd torn up the formation, and he scored the equaliser; then tonight we played him up front and he scored the winner. In the two games between he was apologetically lobbed on in the 80-oddth minute. Give him time and he'll do things.

Tonight's performance might have given him a strong chance to play up top again, especially in away games (and they're in glut right now). Problem is that his best position might be 10, which is the same as Bod and the big new signing.
It’s the movement for me especially for second goal. He drops off the centre halves just outside the box and then makes a run across creating the angle for the little dink from Sheehan. It’s very clever and I think it’s only Charles at his best (can’t say on Collin’s yet) who offers that sort of movement.

I think he looks more natural in a forward role. I think he’s probably a wide left/right player in a front three but in the absence of that I think he’s a striker in our system. Doesn’t convince me at all in midfield beyond the chase the game type of scenario. He’s better when he can isolate a player than he is when he has stuff in front of him.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:40 am

Footballs a weird game! I missed the first 14 minutes. Turned on just after we'd gone 1 down expecting the worst and then didn't come on until after.

I thought we were excellent! As good as we've played in a long time. Controlled the first half but the final ball was off, and then stepped up again second half.

Obviously if you skip the bit of the game we were worst it'll boost the performance, but the good was very good.

Stand outs for me were Toal, JDC, Sheehan and CMG.

Toal - an absolute magnet, loves the ugly stuff, so vital in a game like this.

JDC - signed as second choice, started excellently and then dropped away, I thought maybe he'd reverted to his level, but he's stepped it up again recently. Unbelievable energy levels. 80 minutes in he's pressing their left back high to stop them freely launching it into our box, then he's back helping Geth out.

Sheehan - I honestly don't get what people see sometimes, he's always showing and always uses the ball well. If teams give him space like last night he's unplayable at this level.

CMG - absolute chaos machine, but his movement across their backline was terrific and he seemed to be involved in everything good we did. It was a great pass from Sheehan for his goal, but that finish over his shoulder was ridiculous.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:07 am

Yeah - as someone who doesn't always "see" Sheehan, I think your comment probably covers it. At this level with space, he'll boss it.

If we're a bit more back foot or they're pressing directly in and around Sheehan (notably some teams, I think maybe Barnsley stands out) they look to really unsettle him running through the back of him etc. and it showed for a while. Obviously when they do that, he looks (to me) to be a lot less effective - as you'd sort of expect - he's not quite as well controlled when "rushed".

I think defensively he's okish. Tries hard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:08 am

Dempsey reminds me of Mark Davies. He's both a good team player and an individual one. Many of our good moves originate from him taking the ball forth instead of just wellying it hopefully onward. For the rest, what happens next; do our new players fit into the current system or does it adapt to incorporate them? Collins, Jon-Bod, Vic and Dion, even Jerome, permanents or loanees ,will all be looking for starts, . Can we keep good players on a rotation basis? Is what we have good enough for the Championship?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:26 am

Like night & day that!!! Good second half effort to recover from a sub-par first half

I like that shape away from home though, with someone in the hole. I think it can work. Maghoma was getting dogs on twitter for slipping, but he continues to impress me. 3 goals in 5 games now for him, but he's got locks and he's black so Bolton twitter thinks he's shit and lazy.

We do need to pull the trigger more though. Some great opportunities to shoot not taken
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:27 am

Oh and I'd go as far saying that Sheehan is possibly the best player in the division. He's in a world of his own right now and is actually starting to look out of place

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:38 am

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:27 am
Oh and I'd go as far saying that Sheehan is possibly the best player in the division. He's in a world of his own right now and is actually starting to look out of place
I agree. There are times when he gets overrun on the break but that's about set up for me. If you're wanting a Sheehan but with physicality you're basically hoping to sign Rodri in L1. Needs one of the other two to spot those moments and get nearer to him.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:24 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:40 am
Sheehan - I honestly don't get what people see sometimes, he's always showing and always uses the ball well. If teams give him space like last night he's unplayable at this level.
He's outstanding most games. If you watch both Morley and Sheehan's game you'll instantly be able to spot the difference. I think Morley can do what Sheehan can do, but it doesn't come naturally, whereas with Sheehan his movement off the ball and his constant showing for the ball and act as a foil is just great to watch.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:31 pm

Looks like Neill Harris has left!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:50 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:26 am
Like night & day that!!! Good second half effort to recover from a sub-par first half

I like that shape away from home though, with someone in the hole. I think it can work. Maghoma was getting dogs on twitter for slipping, but he continues to impress me. 3 goals in 5 games now for him, but he's got locks and he's black so Bolton twitter thinks he's shit and lazy.

We do need to pull the trigger more though. Some great opportunities to shoot not taken
Yeah the Maghoma bit - he seemed to be getting pelters on the commentary at HT too...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:56 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:31 pm
Looks like Neill Harris has left!
Going back to Millwall, it seems. Spiritual home etc.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:39 pm

We play them again in a couple of weeks don’t we?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:53 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:39 pm
We play them again in a couple of weeks don’t we?
Next Home game, I think

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:11 pm

Just watched the post match interviews on WTV and Ogbeta genuinely seems like the nicest, friendliest and most humble man on the planet.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:31 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:11 pm
Just watched the post match interviews on WTV and Ogbeta genuinely seems like the nicest, friendliest and most humble man on the planet.
He’d be our third choice LWB when Randy comes back, for me. Still early days, but I was expecting a bit more from him.
Last edited by The_Gun on Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:38 pm

Thought he played well last night. Williams looks a little more 'rounded' I agree, but Ogbeta is certainly good cover / competition

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:42 pm

Agree that Sheehan "looks" world-class when he has space to play. Struggles badly when teams get physical and aggressive on him. That's his weakness.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:47 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:42 pm
Agree that Sheehan "looks" world-class when he has space to play. Struggles badly when teams get physical and aggressive on him. That's his weakness.
I wouldn't say he "struggles badly" - Cambridge were taking it in turns to have a go at him last night. He's able to create his own space when under pressure, as he's great on the turn