Race to the tape: 2024's League One promotion campaign

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Race to the tape: 2024's League One promotion campaign

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:18 pm

When I look at Derby, and indeed a lot of sides this season….I think we are massively underperforming.

For me we have the best squad in the league. There are issues but everyone else has them too. Pompey a whole team missing today through injury.

I don’t think Evatt is bad or even necessarily actually want him to leave. He’s done a good job here and stabilised the club. The issue I have and probably why it’s such a mess on social media is that some of the hyperbole about Evatt that is virtually non stop is ridiculous. He can’t even be mentioned in the same breath yet as Allardyce. He’s miles off. As it stands he’s a promising young manager who started awfully here off the back of Covid promotion at Barrow then we had a worldie second half of the season. Got up. Did well for half a season in league one then fell apart and we rebuilt. Same thing happened season after where another rebuild did well and we got into the play offs and then lost in pretty insipid fashion. Ok but this season it’s a much weaker league and we are bound to do it. He needed backing from the board though and got it. Boy did he get it. Started like an unstoppable train but slowly and surely the same cracks we had the last two seasons have been exposed. Lose to teams we shouldn’t who just set about us. Lose the ‘big’ ‘more significant’ ‘higher pressure’ whatever games you want to call them too often and don’t really win any. Have game after game where we talk about how good we were we just couldn’t find the finish or messed up defensively. And every so often we pulverise someone to show how good we are. But leagues aren’t built on that. They are built on grinding out result after result and doing that more than everyone else.

Derby and Portsmouth both show us huge respect. Because we are a better team than them. But they find ways to win. When it really matters. And we find ways to lose.

The style of football is irrelevant. Ultimately we all want success. I hope it can be success with Evatt as I can’t in all honesty think of a magical replacement anymore than anyone else can. I just think that we should accept that he’s no messiah or managerial genius. He’s not as it stands close to our best managers at this club and has in some ways had a much more favourable scenario in front of him.

He’s a lower league manager at a big club struggling to get us out of league one. He won’t be the first in that position and won’t be the last but that is the long and short of it. It’s not like better managers haven’t struggled to achieve this. But we do need to accept that he can’t keep doing the same things not least because one assumes there isn’t an endless pot of money. At some point he may have a lesser group of players but we will still need to find a way out. That’s the test. I don’t think you need to be a good manager to get us up this season. Next season you might need to be.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:27 pm

Next season, Rotherham and Sheff Weds are currently looking likely...then a bit of a cluster with some fairly chunky names in it. I suspect you're right that it feels a chunk more problematic next season.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:30 pm

Stockport and Wrexham both well backed could be up as well. Charlton look to have made a good appointment. Will be tougher next season. I’m a plus one on the above… this was our best chance. Need to turn it around in the play offs.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:02 pm

Derby one down at half time, come on Northampton
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:07 pm

Come on the fecking Cobblers!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:33 pm

Things not all going to plan in the League. Carlisle two up....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:07 pm

Derby lost to Northampton. Leaderless, soft, bottlers.....

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:07 pm

Fat lady has laryngitis.

It's not over till it's over.

COYWM!!!!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:08 pm

Get in there.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:11 pm

Oh be joyful.. :oyea:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:13 pm

Bradley sent off at the end too.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:14 pm

Great result if and only if we can take advantage. Given recent results, I have serious doubts. Obviously hoping I will be proven spectacularly wrong this time next week.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:23 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:14 pm
Great result if and only if we can take advantage. Given recent results, I have serious doubts. Obviously hoping I will be proven spectacularly wrong this time next week.
It’s certainly a huge boost. We’ve hit the fabled international break rest we’ve been talking about for so long and had the massive boost of derby losing a game I think we’d have given them at least a point in.

So it’s sort of now down to us. We have to string wins together and that’s the challenge. Win one lose one isn’t cutting it. We need to win maybe 6 games out of 7 and it’s down to the players to show they have the ability to do that.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:23 pm
jmjhb wrote:
It’s certainly a huge boost. We’ve hit the fabled international break rest we’ve been talking about for so long and had the massive boost of derby losing a game I think we’d have given them at least a point in.

So it’s sort of now down to us. We have to string wins together and that’s the challenge. Win one lose one isn’t cutting it. We need to win maybe 6 games out of 7 and it’s down to the players to show they have the ability to do that.
No way on God's green earth you didn't have Derby down for three in this, oh merchant of doom! 🙂

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:17 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:48 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:23 pm
jmjhb wrote:

No way on God's green earth you didn't have Derby down for three in this, oh merchant of doom! 🙂
IIRC he was saying we needed to win 7 out of 8 (n-1) of our remaining fixtures for us to go up. It's been a common theme for weeks that wed have to win the majority of our remaining games. Maybe that still rings true depending on results elsewhere but I don't think anyone would've thought Derby would drop points against Northampton. I'm fairly certain the presumption would've been Derby dropping points against Pompey and us having to win just to keep up.

Still the result in the Portsmouth v Derby game can resonate. Any points Pompey pick up mean that we could overtake Derby by winning our games. A win for Derby means we could get into 3 points off Pompey and a point behind Derby. Which would mean we'd be well in contention. All ifs and buts of course. Weve got to win our games.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:04 pm

TBF (and it was tongue in cheek), think I said I could see similar too. I mean it's all relative, but decent for us yesterday. :-)

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:49 pm

Not looking good tonight!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:56 pm

Pompey are just a better version of this. Still thick. The football gods are on the side of football terrorism.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:35 pm

We really will have fecked up if we don't go up automatically. Pompey and Derby not a shade on any of the three who went up last season.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:01 pm

How the feck are they in 1st and 2nd?

Pompey limping towards the title?