A Load of Cobblers. Away to Northampton Sat, 10th Feb.3-0'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: A Load of Cobblers. Away to Northampton Sat, 10th Feb.3-0'clock.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:16 pm

What's most surprising to me; from the point of impact the cobbler travels so far through the air . I reckon he saw it coming. Sorry.
I'm in no way saying it wasn't a foul, but a red-card intentional one..?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:22 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:16 pm
What's most surprising to me; from the point of impact the cobbler travels so far through the air . I reckon he saw it coming. Sorry.
I'm in no way saying it wasn't a foul, but a red-card intentional one..?
I think it’s not a question of intention more one of reckless and dangerous.

Intention is only really relevant where it’s accidental. He smashed him in the head but didn’t know he was there…intention matters.

But this challenge I think is probably a genuine attempt to win the ball but doesn’t matter because it’s dangerous and reckless.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:15 pm

And so The Whites have appealed Thomasons red from Saturday and are awaiting a decision from the FA.
I think the chances of it being overturned are exactly that .... FA.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:22 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:15 pm
And so The Whites have appealed Thomasons red from Saturday and are awaiting a decision from the FA.
I think the chances of it being overturned are exactly that .... FA.
Doesn't he end up serving an additional match ban if we fail in the appeal?

I thought we were only appealing the Evatt red card?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:29 pm

I think the additional ban is a judgement call for them - if we are deemed to be wasting time. The case seems to centre on the fourth official telling the ref it wasn’t a red card at the time. I’m dubious!

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:30 pm

If Memory serves, it used to be that flippant appeals could incur further punishment but I'm not sure that's still the case.

According to the BEN we are appealing both.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:45 pm

'Frivolous' was the word.

Interestingly, the FA rules state you can appeal any red card except for two reasons - (1) a second yellow and (2) "use of offensive or insulting or abusive language/gestures"... which is what Evatt is supposed to have been done for, no?

I don't think these appeals will help.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:36 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:33 am
Prufrock wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:22 am

Sounds like he did it in the game on Tues. I'm not convinced he actually touched it with his hands, and certainly didn't have a meaningful save to make. So I'm assuming it's something from kicking long.
As a ref, what's your view on the Thomason red Pru. ? See, I have a theory that the Cobbler's medicine man made a mid-week pilgrimage to Lourdes and got a supply of Holy Water than can have the victim of a horrendous foul up and running about a very short time later totally cured. Maybe we should get some for Baxter and co... :wink:
I've been called some names in my time TD, but a referee?! How dare you :) !

Assuming one season as a 15 year old doesn't qualify me...

Their RB was a tosser from minute one, that awful L1 combination of being a thug when dishing and a mard-arse when receiving.

And I do think George was going for the ball, he's trying to tackle/block a bouncing ball down the line, and unfortunately for him their guy sees him coming and gets his body in the way to protect the ball.

I'm not sure how much contact there was (though as noted, their RB did hobble off not long after), and I don't think it was an absolute stone wall ref, plenty refs would've only booked him.

But equally I'd be surprised if it was overturned unless we've got a magic angle to show there was absolutely no contact. The issue with going off your feet is that you're out of control and in the lap of the gods that everything goes where you think it's going. He's lunged, off the ground and got nowhere near the ball. I'm not holding my breath for later on.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:02 am

^^ Do you wear black? Just a little ditty running through my head.... :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:27 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:36 am
And I do think George was going for the ball, he's trying to tackle/block a bouncing ball down the line, and unfortunately for him their guy sees him coming and gets his body in the way to protect the ball.
Interesting perspective because I don't think he "gets his body in the way to protect the ball" - at least, not in the way I'd most often use that phrase (think of strikers "drawing the foul" by getting between ball and marker, etc).
GThigh.gif
GThigh.gif (11.09 MiB) Viewed 330 times
Indeed, it's a peculiar movement - he sort of dangles the 'wrong' leg (particularly for a No.3 - is he usually a right-back?). Maybe that's because he'd already run past to where he'd expected the return ball, but his made had made a poor pass – a hospital ball, as it turned out. Maybe he made the split-second decision to draw the foul - he was that type of niggly game-player - but if so it's a risky one... as proven by his subsequent early substitution.

Whatever the plaintiff's motives, the perp can't expect to fly through the air and not get punished. And his beardy defence lawyer's protestation that he's "not that kind of player" is somewhat undermined by the evidence of 15 yellow cards before this red – it's quite a charge sheet.

In all seriousness I don't think George is a dirty player, but he's one who is frequently booked. Assuming the three-match ban is upheld, that will be seven games he's missed this seaosn - plus an hour of the Northampton game and the second half of the Fleetwood home game, when he was subbed before he got sent off. It's a lot of games to miss, and credi tot GT that he's missed when he's absent, but he needs to learn. He's usually good at that.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:01 am

^^ He was already playing with a dodgy hammy, as I understand it and maybe only playing on the principle of "rushed back least wounded" - apparently the injury relating to his sub seems to have been related to the original. Might account for some "odd movements" if he's not moving freely on his pins anyhow...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:02 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:01 am
^^ He was already playing with a dodgy hammy, as I understand it and maybe only playing on the principle of "rushed back least wounded" - apparently the injury relating to his sub seems to have been related to the original. Might account for some "odd movements" if he's not moving freely on his pins anyhow...
Ah, thanks. Odd all round.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:17 am

I think he clocks the pass is behind him and goes to get his body in the way and flick it round the corner, but he's expecting to get his body in the way of George just closing him down, not flying through the air like he's in Tekken.

I'm assuming he's right footed given the effort with his left foot early on, but the number 3 did offend me.

He's the cock who was involved in the argy with Vic and (I think) who's theatrics got him the softest booking you'll ever see from your classic "this has got heated, I know what will calm it down, throwing cards around" wanker in the black (credit Worthy c.2024)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:19 am

The lack of appeal for foul and abusive reds seems odd to me particular given I think Evatt has already had one of those rescinded (maybe it's different for managers).

I can see how it would be tough (but not impossible) to prove you didn't say it, but I can't see how they justify it if e.g. the 4th official backs up that he said something else

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:21 am

Feels a bit mad to appeal that one. Hard to foresee a good outcome.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:22 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:17 am
I think he clocks the pass is behind him and goes to get his body in the way and flick it round the corner, but he's expecting to get his body in the way of George just closing him down, not flying through the air like he's in Tekken.

I'm assuming he's right footed given the effort with his left foot early on, but the number 3 did offend me.

He's the cock who was involved in the argy with Vic and (I think) who's theatrics got him the softest booking you'll ever see from your classic "this has got heated, I know what will calm it down, throwing cards around" wanker in the black (credit Worthy c.2024)
:mrgreen:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:25 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:36 am
[

As a ref, what's your view on the Thomason red Pru. ? See, I have a theory that the Cobbler's medicine man made a mid-week pilgrimage to Lourdes and got a supply of Holy Water than can have the victim of a horrendous foul up and running about a very short time later totally cured. Maybe we should get some for Baxter and co... :wink:
I've been called some names in my time TD, but a referee?! How dare you :) !
[/quote]

Ah, sorry, Should have read, as a ref, what would be your view? ...Subjunctively of course... :wink:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:19 pm

I'm glad we've appealed it. Never a red card
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:14 pm

Haven't heard if it's been overturned. I suspect the clubs should know by now and if they don't know then surely that impacts ourselves and Wycombe.

Imagine trying to plan ahead and finding out at the 11th hour.

Perhaps the clubs know but are keeping it quiet to save from fan backlash either way against ref decisions.

Would've thought word would've got out by now.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:35 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:19 pm
I'm glad we've appealed it. Never a red card
Couldn't agree more. His eyes are firmly on the ball. Hope they notice that.