Wandering, Why come back home? Bolton v Wycombe - 13th Feb 2024 19:45pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Wandering, Why come back home? Bolton v Wycombe - 13th Feb 2024 19:45pm

Post by DJBlu » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:43 pm

This is just a test. I am going to see if I can start a thread in which the game is not abandonded within 9 minutes.

Fresh from battering Peterborough 5-2 at home Wycombe travel to the Tough Sheet to take on Bolton looking to extend their winning run to three.

Head to Head in the last 7 doesn't look too good but a repeat of the 3-0 would be welcomed.

stats.png
stats.png (102.06 KiB) Viewed 668 times

I'm not going to make a prediction as I haven't got a clue.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Wandering, Why come back home? Bolton v Wycombe - 13th Feb 2024 19:45pm

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:01 pm

We really have to strike now. The times when we were happy to settle for a draw and a point are long past. Time to see who really are the one and only Wanderers? Not said jokingly, because games in hand are no use unless you win them. That time is NOW...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:47 pm

I've seen on certain players' twitter feeds that they weren't matching their high standards, so to have this acknowledged should hopefully be a step towards resolving the issue.

Thomason should do a good bit of reflecting on that red card. It's unacceptable to be the jumping in like that giving the referee an easy option for red carding the player. There's a good chance he's gone for the ball and there's a good chance the ref could've been more lenient, but it's an obvious possible red. Anyone paying attention to our forums and podcasts could quite easily see that we thought he was a risk of a yellow card, so he's just played into that narrative. I'm a big fan of Thomason and i'm confident he'll learn from this. It's just a shame that we've had to miss him for a few games only for him to recklessly end up missing some more.

As for the Wycombe game. I'm hoping Baxter's back. Coleman makes me nervous.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:53 pm

We’ve won 2 out of the last 7 games so this is very definitely a slump in form.

I think we’ve probably exhausted our ‘chances’ now and seriously need to start winning games. Starting from this one.

Have to start with proper intensity on the front foot looking to score goals. Not tentative or sloppy. Have to score first and also really need to start defending properly. No more sloppiness. Can’t afford to throw away the season with indifferent performances.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:27 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:43 pm
This is just a test. I am going to see if I can start a thread in which the game is not abandonded within 9 minutes.
I'm not going to make a prediction as I haven't got a clue.
Ha, good luck buddy. I got banned from thread starting for just getting a draw. Best hope for a win.. :lol:

:oyea: ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:53 pm
Call it a slump if you will but context should play a part.

L Luton (H) 1-2 - Premiership opposition always going to be a tough ask
L Leyton Orient (A) 0-1 - League One's most in form team
W Cheltenham (H) 1-0 - Job done
W Carlisle (A) 4-1 - Job done and then some
D Blackpool (A) 0-0 (out on pens) - Heavily rotated team almost got through
D Barnsley (H) 1-1 - Bogey team of sorts
D Northampton (A) 1-1 - Result against 10 men and early goal

Match abandonments haven't helped, neither will the disruption to playing staff, both incoming and injuries.

The defeats have been close run games (Blackpool for example). The frustration has come from not going that extra mile and winning the match like we'd become accustomed to.

We're picking up points, but really need to get winning again.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:04 pm

Mar wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:49 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Match abandonments haven't helped, neither will the disruption to playing staff, both incoming and injuries.

The defeats have been close run games (Blackpool for example). The frustration has come from not going that extra mile and winning the match like we'd become accustomed to.

So….its a slump…

The context doesn’t change that and context doesn’t matter at the end of the season.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:52 pm

We need two wins from two home games. Is where I am at!

Baxter
Jones/Toal/Iredale
Dacres Cog / Ashworth
Sheehan/Morley/Carlos
Collins/Dion
Would be my team.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:01 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:52 pm

Baxter
Jones/Toal/Iredale
Dacres Cog / Ashworth
Sheehan/Morley/Carlos
Collins/Dion
Would be my team.
Agree with the sentiment. Team looks fine but others might work too. Def need 6pts though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:16 am

officer_dibble wrote:

Baxter
Jones/Toal/Iredale
Dacres Cog / Ashworth
Sheehan/Morley/Carlos
Collins/Dion
Would be my team.
Yeah I like this team. Victor has definitely run out of chances for me for now. Taylor looks a bit lost.

I'm not sure I'd through Carlos in as a number 8 though - I want to get him in somehow but not convinced that's his role. Maghoma for me there.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:36 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:16 am
officer_dibble wrote:

Baxter
Jones/Toal/Iredale
Dacres Cog / Ashworth
Sheehan/Morley/Carlos
Collins/Dion
Would be my team.
Yeah I like this team. Victor has definitely run out of chances for me for now. Taylor looks a bit lost.

I'm not sure I'd through Carlos in as a number 8 though - I want to get him in somehow but not convinced that's his role. Maghoma for me there.
Team-wise I'm largely in agreement - although think he might opt for Taylor's physical presence in the centre of the back 3 (harshly, at the expense of Iredale), and possibly Maghoma for CMG as you say.....

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Vic & Collins up top to give Dion a break and take him out of the firing line and use bring him on at 60 mins....

Gives us some pretty powerful options from the bench - any combination of CMG/Dempsey/Dion/Bod/Ogbeta (if fit)/Ramsay

Do we know if Baxter is fit enough to play yet?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:38 am

Wouldn't be at all confident that we'll see Baxter tomorrow, but of course it would be tremendous if he is fit.

Coleman (or Baxter if fit)

Jones Toal Iredale

Sheehan

JDC Maghoma CMG Ashworth

JDB Collins

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:38 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:04 pm
Mar wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:49 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

So….its a slump…

The context doesn’t change that and context doesn’t matter at the end of the season.
Well our results against Blackpool and Luton certainly don't matter much at the end of the season - that bit of context has an impact.

In the league we could use a win. Wins are always preferable - obviously. But as for "a slump", we're 11 points from the last 6, 4 teams are on 13 from 6 with a couple of contenders in that group - Barnsley and Pompey and last 10, we're second on points to Barnsley by a point.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:39 am

Taylor can’t get past 60 mins… I want a settled back 3. I actually thought Taylor played well on Saturday for the record, but he needs some fitness!

Carlos due a chance. Evatt won’t change formation.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:54 am

We're playing Wycombe, and Gethin will start. That means we need two big 'uns in defence. I repeat: we're playing Wycombe.

Iredale is a more progressive/constructive choice at LCB than Toal, but it's risk/reward again. The difference between them going forward might get us, spitballing, a third of a goal more chance. Having two relatively short centre-backs against Wycombe (repeat: Wycombe) might lose us two goals from set pieces. So it's a no for me.

The only way Taylor will get fitter is by playing games. And Rico might be back in a week.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:02 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:54 am
We're playing Wycombe, and Gethin will start. That means we need two big 'uns in defence. I repeat: we're playing Wycombe.

Iredale is a more progressive/constructive choice at LCB than Toal, but it's risk/reward again. The difference between them going forward might get us, spitballing, a third of a goal more chance. Having two relatively short centre-backs against Wycombe might lose us two goals from set pieces. So it's a no for me.

The only way Taylor will get fitter is by playing games. And Rico might be back in a week.
I agree on the height but its two games where our defence looks all at sea early doors. I don't think Taylor has done much wrong but I also think it doesn't look cohesive (and looked more cohesive when Toal has gone central) - and we simply can't afford to concede early again. We must score first in this one and really be front foot. Not tentative, and then try and chase the game.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:12 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:02 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:54 am

Iredale is a more progressive/constructive choice at LCB than Toal, but it's risk/reward again. The difference between them going forward might get us, spitballing, a third of a goal more chance. Having two relatively short centre-backs against Wycombe might lose us two goals from set pieces. So it's a no for me.

I agree on the height but its two games where our defence looks all at sea early doors. I don't think Taylor has done much wrong but I also think it doesn't look cohesive (and looked more cohesive when Toal has gone central) - and we simply can't afford to concede early again. We must score first in this one and really be front foot. Not tentative, and then try and chase the game.
All fair. If you think Taylor's presence brings risk then that affects your calculations. And yes, I was not very impressed by the Toal/Taylor dovetailing on Saturday. To me, it's part of a longer-term problem – Eoin never looks quite at home at LCB, but he ain't shifting Gethin as default RCB. It may also be that Eoin is used to being the 'junior partner' – but Caleb is almost four years younger: Eoin's 25 this week.

I still think I'd stick with Taylor CCB and Toal LCB for this one, but it's something I'd be reconsidering against Charlton at the weekend. Freddie Ladapo and especially Alfie May will ask us different questions.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:17 am

dave the minion wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:36 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:16 am
officer_dibble wrote:

Baxter
Jones/Toal/Iredale
Dacres Cog / Ashworth
Sheehan/Morley/Carlos
Collins/Dion
Would be my team.

Team-wise I'm largely in agreement - although think he might opt for Taylor's physical presence in the centre of the back 3 (harshly, at the expense of Iredale), and possibly Maghoma for CMG as you say.....

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Vic & Collins up top to give Dion a break and take him out of the firing line and use bring him on at 60 mins....

Gives us some pretty powerful options from the bench - any combination of CMG/Dempsey/Dion/Bod/Ogbeta (if fit)/Ramsay

Do we know if Baxter is fit enough to play yet?
I doubt Baxter plays - my gut feel and reading between the lines is he's out for a while....

As for the bench - I think that its an interesting one. I'm not convinced Dion is a good 'off the bench option' at least not current situation Dion. Full of confidence and on form Dion maybe is. But his game right now is about workrate and pressing and hopefully getting the rewards and getting confidence back. I think he's not been helped by the rest of the team though and we've struggled to create the best chances. Collins may help fix that. But I do think we need to get him and Dion together to build a relationship now. I don't know which way Evatt will go - Collins may mainly still be seen as an impact off the bench, I don't know.

I think the wing back and midfield areas worry me most as for me we've seen significant drop off in form across key players there, and injury and it starts to look a bit 'square pegs in round holes'. Thomasson is a huge miss - his own fault. Ramsey isn't ready for WB yet. Ogbeta we don't know what the score is there. Sheehan has dropped form. Dempsey isn't having a great run and Maghoma after a promising start is now too in and out within games. For me we've not been getting a hold of a game and gripping it for a while now - even Carlisle where we won handsomely wasn't entirely convincing at times. Tomorrow I think we have to really control the game, grip it and take our chances. Get back on track.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:32 am

It'll be reet....

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:32 am

2-0 to us. Early goal from Jones, comfortable controlling middle of the game. Late Collins winner