Raising the Bar: Barnsley (A), Tue 5 Mar 7.45pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Whappen?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:06 pm

Wanderers win by 2+
15%
Wanderers win by 1
46%
Draw
15%
Wanderers lose by 1
8%
Wanderers lose by 2+
15%

Total votes: 13

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Raising the Bar: Barnsley (A), Tue 5 Mar 7.45pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:11 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:08 pm
You realise you can't break quickly on a team already in a low block, right?

There's definitely a discussion over tempo and thrust but it depends where the other buggers are standing....
Barnsley were in a low block at the point we are talking. We got men into the box and put balls in. And hit the channels to get out quicker.

It was very different to Wigan where we brought Bod and Jerome on and they watched it go side to side. I don’t think bod had a touch.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:15 pm

I'm not being negative.. Wigan were in front of us for 90 mins sitting in, not pressing, not expending energy. They were physically and mentally fresher in that second half than Barnsley were

What I'm warning against is a new found belief that yesterday's last 30 mins is what we'll see every game we are not in front. It won't happen and not because we don't want it to, or don't try it, but because we're not the only team on the pitch, as DSB said earlier
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:42 pm

We have to treat every game as a "Barnsley" if we want that promotion. We know we have it in us and that some games will be harder than others, but the pattern emerging from our opponents is remarkably similar: pen Bolton in with big throws and long balls and they'll crack. Do that and park the bus when they come forth and hit them on the break. It has to be said, looking back at goals against us, that they are mostly( not always) from liabilities on our part to know when to pass and when to put the laces through the ball. Wise after the event is an easy game, so let's be wise before it. We know we're good enough, so let's prove it. :oyea:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:47 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:15 pm
I'm not being negative.. Wigan were in front of us for 90 mins sitting in, not pressing, not expending energy. They were physically and mentally fresher in that second half than Barnsley were

What I'm warning against is a new found belief that yesterday's last 30 mins is what we'll see every game we are not in front. It won't happen and not because we don't want it to, or don't try it, but because we're not the only team on the pitch, as DSB said earlier
Of course we can’t repeat it every time. But the reality is that we very easily could have played like that at Wigan and didn’t try. We carried on going sideways. Even when we brought the two strikers on.

And that isn’t because Wigan were fresh. It’s because we didn’t inject the tempo.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:02 pm

We were brave on the ball as well - Sheehan got crocked, straight back up and took a quick free kick to set Collins away, with a pass that we might often put backwards. Can only play each game and opponent as they are - and deffo agree Barnsley wore themselves out, particularly in midfield. Connell in particular disappeared I thought.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:27 am

Hadn't clocked until now that our first goal game from Sheehan getting leathered and bouncing up, taking a quick few kick playing a quick pass through three of them. Thomo -> Collins -> Vic -> Goal.

Lovely to see.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:12 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:27 am
Hadn't clocked until now that our first goal game from Sheehan getting leathered and bouncing up, taking a quick few kick playing a quick pass through three of them. Thomo -> Collins -> Vic -> Goal.

Lovely to see.
Collins the only player in EFL to register 20 goals and 20 assists since the start of the 22/23 season to now
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"