This Exe is on fire: Exeter (A) Sat 9 Mar, 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Wha' gwan?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:36 pm

Wanderers win by 2+
33%
Wanderers win by 1
42%
Draw
25%
Wanderers lose by 1
No votes
Wanderers lovse by 2+
No votes

Total votes: 12

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Re: This Exe is on fire: Exeter (A) Sat 9 Mar, 3pm

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:49 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:01 pm
Cup finals. 10 of 'em.

No play offs then? 😁
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:11 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:49 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Cup finals. 10 of 'em.

No play offs then? 😁
Fck me. Cup finals. 13 of 'em. Thanks TD!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:46 am

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:52 pm
In all run in's, the seemingly "easier" games against teams fighting to stay alive are usually more difficult that the games considered "hard" so I expect many twists and turns.
Yeah, BWFCinsane and others have pointed out over the years that a team a point above the drop zone might fight harder than one marooned in midtable, especially the nearer we get to the end of the season. It’s not an exact science - they’re there for a reason and I’d rather play a Carlisle than an Exeter - but it’s about resistance and persistence.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:08 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Cup finals. 10 of 'em.
And everytime we don't win, will be the end of the feckin world
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:25 am

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:08 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Cup finals. 10 of 'em.
And everytime we don't win, will be the end of the feckin world
That started around October!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:10 am

Coleman

Toal Santos Iredale

Sheehan

Ramsay Maghoma Thomason Williams

Vic Collins

I realise Evatt, and probably most of you lot, will pick Jones at RWB, however, I feel that with the extra defensive solidity of Toal at RCB we can afford to play a proper wing back in front of him. Jones is a solid right back, and can do a job at wing back if necessary, but in a situation where we need to win I'd be more aggressive and go for the superior attacking option in Ramsay.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:58 am

Dunno, as a "most of you lot," I've only seen Ramsay for about an hour.

I've seriously no idea whether he's any good. He had a good two hours under his belt at Preston and about 90 minutes at Aberdeen. So in that sense, whatever Evatt decides will probably be decent enough to convince me!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:08 am

I think, unless Jones is fatigued, he'll start. Not the time for experimenting and testing unknowns away from home. Better the devil you know this week I reckon

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:24 am

I’m in the opposite camp and feel now is the time to be bold. We’ve brought a talented wing back in from Liverpool - let’s use him.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:30 am

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:24 am
I’m in the opposite camp and feel now is the time to be bold. We’ve brought a talented wing back in from Liverpool - let’s use him.
I understand the principle. Is he any good and ready for a L1, must win? I dunno. I couldn't even tell you if he can kick straight, can do the defensive elements of RWB, cross decently....

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:34 am

Yeah I’ll caveat that by saying he might’ve been shite in training and is not in Evatt’s thoughts. However, he was playing for Aberdeen when he was very young and Liverpool paid good money for him, so don’t have too many concerns over his ability to kick straight etc.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:44 am

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:34 am
Yeah I’ll caveat that by saying he might’ve been shite in training and is not in Evatt’s thoughts. However, he was playing for Aberdeen when he was very young and Liverpool paid good money for him, so don’t have too many concerns over his ability to kick straight etc.
I think for sure, you'd rather be playing a RWB at RWB :-) If he's near Bradley then you probably give it a whirl, if he's nearer Beck (know he was opposite side) - you might not.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:48 am

I'm not against it. I just don't see it

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:11 pm

If Evatt isn’t even putting Ramsay in the squad that speaks volumes.

Jones is important to us and should play. I think wing back if Cogley is out. Not sure that away from home Jones, Toal, Santos, Iredale and Williams wouldn’t be our strongest option now…I think it might be.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:11 pm
If Evatt isn’t even putting Ramsay in the squad that speaks volumes.

Jones is important to us and should play. I think wing back if Cogley is out. Not sure that away from home Jones, Toal, Santos, Iredale and Williams wouldn’t be our strongest option now…I think it might be.
I think maybe Jones at RWB even if Cogz is fit, personally. Certainly for this sort of game - an away that, while maybe not the toughest on paper, is one of those where you might need to grind out the win. As Iles has noted, we did so at Exeter last season, four days after Wembley and without Rico or Toal; I;m also reminded of Division Four wins like Vale, where our boy Gethin bagged the winner. You just want leaders like him on the pitch, I'd say. Give Cogz a rest, or have him on the bench cos he can cover both sides.

I agree with BWFCi's back five for this game. Maybe it changes Tuesday, who knows. But for now, I'd go with that.

As for Ramsay, clearly there's a player there unless Liverpool are laundering money through Aberdeen (Legal Ed: which they most certainly are not). Champo sides were after him in January and it was a surprise they sent him here, not least as Cogz is so Duracell - but he (Ramsay) is essentially the Kane Wilson type, more attacking and a good provider.

I wouldn't say that his absence from mathcday squads means he's useless, just that he only covers one position; Ashworth (absent for the last three without any reported injury) is arguably harder done to. Mind, Forrester has remained on the bench for the last six games despite Iredale being there with him for the last three. Gotta leave someone out.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:26 pm

Yeah certainly don’t think it means he’s useless it arguably means Evatt doesn’t see him as ready to chuck into games yet. So for me a tough trip to Exeter is not the time to do that or test it.

I suspect from the little I’ve seen of him here he’s one who needs time to adjust and settle and build fitness.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:41 pm

I think the most important thing from Tuesday was the difference Iredale made - to get him in the side you need to move jones to RWB…which is where I hope he goes with the team.

Other than that it probably picks itself…

Ramsay not even being in the bench speaks volumes - be surprised if we see much of him at all.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:34 am

"The time has come, the Walrus said, to speak of many things; Of Exeter and Wanderers and who will end up kings? "
"On whether it will rain some more, if our attack can sting, Of whether we have full backs, or use them on the wing?"
"Not ships or shoes or sealing wax, or money much to spare, but we have George and Paris who we think will get us there."

The day of reckoning dawns and talking the talk gives way to walking the walk. It won't be poetry, but we can create art on the grass, so get in there . COME ON YOU WHITES.." :Jedi:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:00 pm

Pretty much as most predicted/requested. Morley out of the 18, with both Ogbeta and Ashworth on the bench but still no Ramsay.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:10 pm

Aye - only the bench you can question. Two LWB, no keeper, no Morley, no Ramsay. Ogbetta looked shagged on Tuesday and Randell didn’t. Could switch him if the right side isn’t working.