This Exe is on fire: Exeter (A) Sat 9 Mar, 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Wha' gwan?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:36 pm

Wanderers win by 2+
33%
Wanderers win by 1
42%
Draw
25%
Wanderers lose by 1
No votes
Wanderers lovse by 2+
No votes

Total votes: 12

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: This Exe is on fire: Exeter (A) Sat 9 Mar, 3pm

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:10 pm

Great post Worthy, probably the post of the year so far.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:18 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:58 am
They're not going to get me on the edge of my seat passing it across the back line. I doubt too many (apart from maybe the odd statistician) is going to stand up and applaud this approach. There's no steamboat tackles flying in, generally, so not going to get too excited by one of those tackles "warming it up a bit" - even the red cards are generally fairly innocuous. Ad Hoc skill is discouraged in favour of "follow the process and ye shall reap rewards of thy labours"

It's a poor product (for me) at the moment. It has very little engaging about it. It's like watching a spreadsheet recalculate percentages. It is ultimately fecking boring apart from the odd sporadic moments.

The patient build up does certainly have an effect on the atmosphere. I think that's just a natural thing.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:56 pm

Evatt on injuries
“It has to be the volume of games. Everyone wants cup runs but this fixture schedule – Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday – it has really taken its toll.
Ahem. Is all I can say!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:51 pm

Maybe he should have rearranged Cambridge away a bit later?’

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:55 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:51 pm
Maybe he should have rearranged Cambridge away a bit later?’
Ahem. Is all I can say!

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:56 pm
Evatt on injuries
“It has to be the volume of games. Everyone wants cup runs but this fixture schedule – Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday – it has really taken its toll.
Ahem. Is all I can say!
On the plus side: you think Vic is a "liability", so surely not having a liability fit and able to play for the rest of the season actually makes us stronger doesn't it ?!?!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:11 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:42 pm
And we haven't won the FA Cup since we abandoned the 2-3-5 formation :mrgreen:
[/quote]

Ah, but back then we had Eddie Hopkinson in nets, Roy "Chopper" Hartle at right back and Tommy Banks at left, while up front we had Nat loftnouse, Doug Holden and Ray Parry. All but the Chopper were England internationals, and he was a terror. Have we had five England internationals of the team since? :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:50 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:08 am
The fans at games are outstanding. We have a huge away following. We had two sides at Exeter. Wigan we took 4200 and I heard no complaints screamed just a lot of frustration and disappointment.
Excellent post Worthy and this ^ from Insane had me nodding in agreement. In terms of numbers and the backing at away games, even after defeats, our support is terrific.

Sure, there's a lot more fuss on social media, and a lack of songs and atmosphere at home games than there has been in the past, but I know for sure, that it's no different in the vast majority of grounds up and down the country.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:01 am

Mar wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:11 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:26 am
And then a great original post with some thought behind it comes along... one small question though Mar...
Mar wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:50 am
In terms of defensive mistakes, there's a number on the right side of the pitch with some intricate passing through our team that has seemingly become an issue. Hard to judge that's a result of the personnel or the style of play as we've had to rotate the squad quite considerably. Either way, there's possibly an argument for shoring up the passing channel there.
Our right or theirs?
Our right hand side.

Intricate passing to runners for 2 of Blackpool's goals, the Wigan goal and both the Exeter goals. We're not seeing the same on the left side, which I thought was strange.

Don't get me wrong, we've still conceded a few from the left, but nothing to suggest a pattern.
Cheers - interesting stuff. Geth has been getting criticism for a while and we all thought switching him to RWB and Toal to RCB would solve it, then we conceded two in the time it takes to sing a pop song...