Not exactly a Derby. Away to The Rams, Sat 16th March 3-0'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Not exactly a Derby. Away to The Rams, Sat 16th March 3-0'clock.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:58 pm

Barnsley 0-0 Cheltenham, FYI

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:58 pm

Nope. 0-1. Gah.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:59 pm

Clearly can't defend for 90 so Playoffs it is then.

Goals the difference, we're not scoring them when we need them.

How many games have we had sitters saved or hit wide?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:03 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:57 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:50 pm
5 minutes to save the season again.

People are annoyed but I’ve watched thousands of football games. I’ve seen teams be better without ever really threatening too much and the keeper make a few saves. It’s not surprising what happened.

It’s gutting but predictable.

The difference between these two sides is Derby are rock solid yet we concede soft goals like the one here. Ultimately you have to be amazing going forwards to continually compensate.

I agree, and have done for a long time. I've also shared your frustration at others' refusal to even countenance the idea we have very obvious unaddressed deficiencies in our approach.

What riles people, though, is you come across as revelling in being right about the club you support failing.
I don't think anyone refuses to believe that there are deficiencies in our approach, but its more a case of making changes affects the benefits of our approach. It's a trade off.

Today's match had us the better side for the majority of that second half and yet we failed to score, and unfortunately switched off defensively on a set piece.

I'd rather us address the issues that we do have rather than swap out the approach to play like Derby did.

They had one set piece pay off in that second half. That doesn't make them a better side.
Last edited by Mar on Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:03 pm

Quality of the final pass/cross is too often poor. Either that or too intricate that it only comes off every now and again.

Derby were solid and efficient, but not that great. If we could consistently deliver better balls into the box we'd have wont this and several others.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:54 pm
Talk about Jekyle and Hyde with the attack.

Nothing in the final third compared to Oxford.

Too inconsistent.
Derby are a way better side. They were comfortable sitting in and I don’t think they ever panicked.

The games that have cost us in truth are the Wigan ones, Charlton, Carlisle, Northampton, Reading.

Should be at least 6 better off going into this. We left ourselves with a difficult run in and didn’t have the points in the tank we should have against poor opposition.
Absolute bollicks for first para. Their keeper's won them that game. They were so "way better" first half, their gaffer subbed three of them off.

Second para. Abso-fecking-lootly

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:05 pm

Wonder how full the receipts draw will be today?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:06 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:04 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
DJBlu wrote:

Too inconsistent.
Derby are a way better side. They were comfortable sitting in and I don’t think they ever panicked.

The games that have cost us in truth are the Wigan ones, Charlton, Carlisle, Northampton, Reading.

Should be at least 6 better off going into this. We left ourselves with a difficult run in and didn’t have the points in the tank we should have against poor opposition.
Absolute bollicks for first para. Their keeper's won them that game. They were so "way better" first half, their gaffer subbed three of them off.

I mean way better than Oxford mate….

We were the better side today. But we had only one real clear cut chance and their keeper made a worldie. It happens. I’m not sure there was a lot we could have done today bar maybe not conceding such a soft goal and having wing backs of the required level on the day. Short of that it’s one of those. We were the better side, they are very good defensively and more comfortable in a game like that than us as it only takes one set piece.
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:07 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:59 pm
Clearly can't defend for 90 so Playoffs it is then.

Goals the difference, we're not scoring them when we need them.

How many games have we had sitters saved or hit wide?
Our goal distribution is definitely questionable. 101 goals this season, so it's not like we can say its due to lack of goals.

Our away form just hasn't been good enough these past few weeks.

Blackpool 4-1 (10 men Bolton) - we looked crap
Wigan 1-0 - we looked good, but ineffective
Barnsley 2-2 (felt like a win) - looked reasonable, fortunate equaliser
Exeter 2-2 (felt like a loss) - looked good but ineffective (first half), fortunate equaliser
Derby 1-0 - looked good but ineffective

There's definitely a pattern. It's not about us looking bad either. We look decent, but frustratingly ineffective.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:09 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:03 pm
I'd rather us address the issues that we do have rather than swap out the approach to play like Derby did.

We just don't seem to be, though.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:10 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Quality of the final pass/cross is too often poor. Either that or too intricate that it only comes off every now and again.

Derby were solid and efficient, but not that great. If we could consistently deliver better balls into the box we'd have wont this and several others.
We wasted too much effort on thinking Derby were better than us, they aren't. We do most of the hard work for the opposition, This is "Massive","Must Win", blah blah, fecking blah. It's one game. We're a great team and can beat anyone on our day. We have to believe in this team as it's the only one we've got. If we are against, Manager and or team then why should they even try? The narative turned and people even said Derby are not not much cop.

Still lots of football to play and it's now firmly out of our hands. Ironically I think we're better placed now as we have nothing to lose.

P.S. If being right sends you to the masturbatorium then please can it wait until the new season when people have more patience.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:10 pm

I thought we were unlucky - better side second half. But I’m not surprised by the result. I suspect that’s the springboard now for a top two, well no doubt get fecking Barnsley in the play offs again….

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:06 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:04 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
DJBlu wrote:

Too inconsistent.

I mean way better than Oxford mate….

We were the better side today. But we had only one real clear cut chance and their keeper made a worldie. It happens. I’m not sure there was a lot we could have done today bar maybe not conceding such a soft goal and having wing backs of the required level on the day. Short of that it’s one of those. We were the better side, they are very good defensively and more comfortable in a game like that than us as it only takes one set piece.
Ahh, gotcha, mate. Yes way better than Oxford.

Made rod for own backs with earlier sub-par performances...

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:05 pm

It was such an odd thing to say in the lead up to such a crucial fixture.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:05 pm
Not as full as your wanking sock.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:14 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:09 pm
Mar wrote:

Show me a time in that run of fixtures where the club have had chance to take stock and fully address the problems?

We've had a lot of games in quick succession and bad weather. It's hardly like we've had chance to reflect and resolve problems. We've gone from playing a game to the players being back in to review the opposition, do a days worth of training and then go again with another match. We needed the time without a game. Thankfully now we've got it.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:16 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:14 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Mar wrote:

Show me a time in that run of fixtures where the club have had chance to take stock and fully address the problems?

We've had a lot of games in quick succession and bad weather. It's hardly like we've had chance to reflect and resolve problems. We've gone from playing a game to the players being back in to review the opposition, do a days worth of training and then go again with another match. We needed the time without a game. Thankfully now we've got it.

The deficiences pre-date this season.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:18 pm

Mar wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:
Mar wrote:

We’ve had three seasons. There is one more chance in the play offs. We are certainly due something as our run of results in big games is dismally poor.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:18 pm

4 points -
I’d of fancied it getting interesting if there was a result gap in it, but 4 is a killer. The Blackpool /Wigan double header has killed us. It will always come back to those 2 results. Hopefully we can get some of those injured players back for the play offs - Cameron ‘goals’ Jerome off the bench just isn’t going to cut it…

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:21 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:16 pm
Mar wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:
Mar wrote:

The deficiences pre-date this season.
Disagree.

We had 7 clean sheets in a row this season and have had one of our best seasons defensively, up until this latest run. The problems were considered solved. Just like our ability to attack effectively (101 goals anyone).

We're not bad, we're unfortunate. Our first choice GK and first choice striker would undoubtedly benefit us.