Not exactly a Derby. Away to The Rams, Sat 16th March 3-0'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Not exactly a Derby. Away to The Rams, Sat 16th March 3-0'clock.

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:23 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:16 pm
Mar wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:14 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:09 pm
Mar wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:03 pm
I'd rather us address the issues that we do have rather than swap out the approach to play like Derby did.

We just don't seem to be, though.
Show me a time in that run of fixtures where the club have had chance to take stock and fully address the problems?

We've had a lot of games in quick succession and bad weather. It's hardly like we've had chance to reflect and resolve problems. We've gone from playing a game to the players being back in to review the opposition, do a days worth of training and then go again with another match. We needed the time without a game. Thankfully now we've got it.

The deficiences pre-date this season.
They do. And other teams have problems too. The ones that go up in the autos are the ones that solve them.

You can afford a couple of slip ups heading towards play-offs. You don't get as many for the autos. We spend way too much time congratulating ourselves on 5-0 wins and not enough time on working out how to edge tight 1-0's

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:28 pm

Does any of this really matter? We lost 1-0 and they got three points. That's all that does. The referee was a fanatic who'd give handball in a goldfish bowl. We were worth a win and didn't get a draw. Football is hard to take sometimes.

ae:) ae:)

p.s. This was written in answer to Mar's post but didn't go through. Sorry.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:29 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:23 pm
They do. And other teams have problems too. The ones that go up in the autos are the ones that solve them.

You can afford a couple of slip ups heading towards play-offs. You don't get as many for the autos. We spend way too much time congratulating ourselves on 5-0 wins and not enough time on working out how to edge tight 1-0's
Definitely.

There's a case of too many games where we're complaining about fine margins. The best teams find a way. I'm not going to use that term to describe Derby as we've won one and they've won one against us this season.

Today won't be the one we look back on and think that's the reason we finished in the play offs.

It'll be the Charlton, Northampton and Exeter results that will have made the difference.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:35 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:21 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Mar wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:
Mar wrote:
I'd rather us address the issues that we do have rather than swap out the approach to play like Derby did.

Show me a time in that run of fixtures where the club have had chance to take stock and fully address the problems?

We've had a lot of games in quick succession and bad weather. It's hardly like we've had chance to reflect and resolve problems. We've gone from playing a game to the players being back in to review the opposition, do a days worth of training and then go again with another match. We needed the time without a game. Thankfully now we've got it.
Disagree.

We had 7 clean sheets in a row this season and have had one of our best seasons defensively, up until this latest run. The problems were considered solved. Just like our ability to attack effectively (101 goals anyone).

We're not bad, we're unfortunate. Our first choice GK and first choice striker would undoubtedly benefit us.

They weren't considered solved by me.

The problem seems to be mostly psychological. A certain naivety in - to borrow a phrase from the youth - the "clutch" fixtures, and it stretches beyond the current season. I'd been privately hoping, against my own judgement, that we'd prove we'd gotten over being something of a flat track bully during this season's run-in but we've just had three crucial fixutres in which we've had that opportunity - Blackpool, Wigan Athletic, and today - and we've lost all three.

Credit where creidt's due, we showed courage to drag ourselves back into it against Barnsley (having found ourselves in a position where we were two goals down) so it's not as if we can't show fight. Too often, though, we go into these types of fixtures and come out the wrong side of them.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:36 pm

And not for the first time, Evatt made himself a hostage to fortune during the pre-match press conference.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:37 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:
Mar wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:
Mar wrote:

Pretty much.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:44 pm

It also seemed like our shit fans gave us plenty of support and fairly sure I heard Derby's booing (before they scored). At that point, I thought people were supposed to start feeling sorry for themselves...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:48 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:44 pm
It also seemed like our shit fans gave us plenty of support and fairly sure I heard Derby's booing (before they scored). At that point, I thought people were supposed to start feeling sorry for themselves...
Just listened to Evatt being interviewed by Derek and that was acknowledged. Deserved backing today and you can’t argue we didn’t leave everything on the pitch. Today’s not the reason we’re 4 points adrift at the business end. Like you said above, it’s not figuring out how to go to Wigan and get a 1-0. Carlisle and Bristol at home are probably the other two I would point at. Put even half of the Oxford performance into those 3 and we’re talking about where we should be in the league with the ability we clearly have.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:48 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:29 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

Definitely.

There's a case of too many games where we're complaining about fine margins. The best teams find a way. I'm not going to use that term to describe Derby as we've won one and they've won one against us this season.

Today won't be the one we look back on and think that's the reason we finished in the play offs.

It'll be the Charlton, Northampton and Exeter results that will have made the difference.
Derby have more points than us. Because they have found a way to get them that we haven’t. Derby aren’t a great side. But then I think it’s fair to say neither are we.

We need to be more ruthless and efficient and Evatt has to find a way to achieve that before the play offs or this season will be up in smoke.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:53 pm

Evatt needs...... or....... Same shit.

Out of our hands now. Pressure is off. Watch em fly.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:56 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:53 pm

It’s too late now. Prep for playoffs and try and finally win some big pressure games.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:56 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:53 pm

It’s too late now. Prep for playoffs and try and finally win some big pressure games.
They can't afford to feel sorry for themselves. Posh and Barnsley would be level on points if they land their games in hand, with Posh going in front on GD...I suspect we'd rather 3rd/4th than 5th/6th...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:09 pm

Evatt ‘we are process and performance driven not results driven.’

Yeah that’s the problem. Maybe they will award us the process and performance trophy at the end of the season. Does it come with an extra promotion place?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:09 pm

Yeah that’s the problem. Maybe they will award us the process and performance trophy at the end of the season. Does it come with an extra promotion place?
🤣

We'll be able to put it in the trophy cabinet next to the PPDA Cup.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:18 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:14 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:09 pm

🤣

We'll be able to put it in the trophy cabinet next to the PPDA Cup.
9 points clear in the ‘content downloads’ league too.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:22 pm

Evatt "It's not over. This side is capable of winning its last 7 games"

I really don't think it is. The problems that plagued us last year, not creating enough or in some cases not turning up in the biggest matches, have not been resolved.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:27 pm

21 points to play for.

Best part of a fortnight to get out first team striker and keeper back

Time on the training pitch

Play off finals, whilst not ideal, is still progression on last season.

We always, always finish strong towards the end of the season

I'm not giving up on automatic yet.

Lots of twists and turns yet.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:39 pm

Well said Gary
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:41 pm

I thought we played well but came up against a side that defended very well. No criticisms for any of our players. Derby'defenders knew they were in a game and were exhausted at the end. We came close but just not enough. Wilson made a difference for them when he came on as it gave them some attacking joy down the right, an he also scored I believe. I can see why we were after him in the summer.

We need to figure a way to defend these type of corners better however. They had 4 in a vertical line with us having 1 at the end of it before the corner. They then broke in different direction when the corner was taken. We struggled to pick them up and one of them scored.

Top 2 is now out of our hands, and playoffs looking more likely, but we need to end the season strong and hope Derby makes a mistake as Pompey seems to be out of our reach.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:45 pm

Yeah, I'm with that too GTE. We can beat anyone on our day, but so can quite a few teams on their day. The difference between average and top draw, isn't the worldie you score, it's how many times you score the worldie.