The Nostradamus file....

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Nostradamus file....

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:51 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:20 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:50 pm

By that thinking any season irrespective of what happens is a success. But every season bolton wanderers are in league one should be considered a failure by anyone who is wanting to see this club get back to where it should.

I get some people don’t care. They’d be happy surviving in the national league. We can still watch the games type thing. But in the same way as we needed to escape in the 90’s we need to find a way to do so now. The longer we are down here the worse it gets.
Thats just not true. There is a significant middle-ground between "success" and what you described as both "failure" and "disastrous" =- staying in league 1 is in that middle ground, and probably more on the "success" side of the spectrum than the "we are all doomed" side....

However, in terms of where this club "should" be - it is exactly where we are. We've all said it before, there is nowhere this club "should" be as we've got no god-given right to be anywhere other than where we are now. We've got history, yes. We've got a (relatively) shiny fancy stadium, yes, but what else do we have that tells us we are automatically in the wrong place right now? Why should we be any higher up the pyramid than other clubs in League 1???

Ask HMRC - they'll probably tell you the club "should" be where Bury are now, so given that we're actually doing alright aren't we......

I want us to be back in the big time, I really do. We all do. I'll be pee'd off if we don't make it. I'm sure we all will. But I won't see it as abject failure and I really hope it isn't financially catastrophic either. I don't want us to languish here with no ambition, but equally, I'm more pleased we seem to have a sustainable club competing on several levels. This doesn't mean I don't want more of course, but I do think a bit of realism is often required as to where our natural place at the table is....
I totally get that but I don’t agree. We’ve had two (more than a season) spells in the lower leagues in our long history.

I do agree that nobody has a divine right but we missed our last season improved the squad, acknowledged the league was weaker this year and it was as Evatt said himself, and indeed repeated two weeks ago ‘the time to do it’. We’ve spent a lot of money. I think we have the better players too. And injuries have struck the top two as much if not more than us.

It is what it is. Evatt himself has said it. I don’t think a season we went into talking solely about automatic promotion can be considered anything other than failure if you don’t hit that. And I do think in the context that we have such a good squad in what is a relatively weak league missing out is a huge issue.

Will we ever have a better chance? I doubt it.

As for sustainability I’m not sure how a 5M loss (and that’s before we were spending money on likes of Collins) is in any way a representation of a sustainable club. We’ve admitted that we can’t be run at break even in this league.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:18 pm

The Swiss investors are pulled together by Nick Lucock's brother and consists of around 25 families from Switzerland. I guess a £5m sum, split between 25 makes it more manageable coz it's only 200k a piece, and you can bet there's a tax loss deferring tax owed somewhere...What his brother said last month was...

“Everyone’s in for the journey and is aware that it costs more to run a Championship club,” said Ben Luckock. “You need to look at what you are doing with recruiting and trade sensibly,” he said.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:23 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:18 pm
The Swiss investors are pulled together by Nick Lucock's brother and consists of around 25 families from Switzerland. I guess a £5m sum, split between 25 makes it more manageable coz it's only 200k a piece, and you can bet there's a tax loss deferring tax owed somewhere...What his brother said last month was...

“Everyone’s in for the journey and is aware that it costs more to run a Championship club,” said Ben Luckock. “You need to look at what you are doing with recruiting and trade sensibly,” he said.
You can almost smell the Kalvin Klein aftershave.. :lol:
ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?