Getting hairy: Portsmuff at home 13/4/24 3pm KO

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Getting hairy: Portsmuff at home 13/4/24 3pm KO

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:12 pm

Can’t remember the last time I started a match thread, so a massive gamble! Basically this lot are up with a point and champs with a win; so we need to win to keep a lid on it.

Have to say fair play to them - I think they are a well organised team playing better than the individual parts - got a good manager and will earn their promotion.

Decent crowd so that smelly prick with the bell will be drowned out 👍

Which Wanderers will turn up? Ian Evatt has sought to channel his inner Bruce Rioch. Let’s hope for the same outcome as my debut footballing watching season where we sneaked into the autos and got promotion against Preston at Burnden out of this division.

Come on you white men!!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Getting hairy: Portsmuff at home 13/4/24 3pm KO

Post by The_Gun » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:57 pm

I’m genuinely interested to know how confident Insano is feeling about this one, so if you’re reading this, mate, please get your account reinstated.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:00 am

A point from the game would be minimum for me. We need to get something and not lose. A win, I would take that if it came but not feeling optimistic when I remember the game in December. We were outclassed save for Charles open goal miss after Bods header was pushed to him. I remember Yengi destroying Santos in that game and me thinking that they were a notch above us.

Hope we can put that aside and show that we have improved with Collins and Ogbeta added to that side.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:38 am

Outclassed is a bit strong. First half was even, we fell apart a bit after the Charles miss and they were better in the second, we faded away. They’ve been the better side all season no doubt about it - and they’ve had injuries, just dealt with them better. But they are not going to be remembered as one of league one’s greatest ever sides - they are very much beatable if we play to our best and they don’t.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:33 am

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:57 pm
I’m genuinely interested to know how confident Insano is feeling about this one, so if you’re reading this, mate, please get your account reinstated.
Agreed..

I'm confident about this one. Think we'll be bang up for it and if they're already planning their night out after the game, as is often the case, we could really take advantage. Any news on Santos and Sheehan? I haven't listened to the managers presser
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:43 am

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:33 am
Any news on Santos and Sheehan? I haven't listened to the managers presser
Good news. Per Iles:
Josh Sheehan and Ricardo Santos should both be available for the visit of Portsmouth – while Dion Charles is set to return to the squad.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... -showdown/

Evatt on Charles:
He won’t be ready to start but he is ready to play a part, and I think that is hugely important for everybody. He needs to build some confidence. He is a fit lad anyway, his physical attributes will have no issue with the intensity of the game.

It is just really building confidence in the knee that he can strike the ball the same way etc. That will grow day-to-day but it will be a huge boost for us to have him back involved.

Dan Nlundulu is very, very close to being back involved as well. There are huge positives from the squad at the moment with the availability we have got.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:02 am

Same team to start as vs Gas but with Charles on the bench then?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:28 pm

You'd have to imagine that would be the case with Dion on the bench. Certainly think that JDB and Collins combo has been well worth it so it would be a shame to disrupt that.

Earlier in the season it seemed like JDB hadn't justified his contract extension but I thought that was down to lack of game time rather than his ability on the ball. Now he's had a decent run I think we're getting back to seeing what he can offer and how influential he can be.

Having Charles on as impact sub sounds like a decent prospect. I'd expect JDB would be able to do the full 90 but i suspect we'll see the lesser spotted Jerome and Charles combo.

We had enough chances in the first game against Portsmouth to get something from the game and I'd like to think tomorrow will be no different. Likely to be a competitive game.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:56 pm

Really difficult to call for me. We can beat anyone at our best, just whether our best shows up. I'm more confident with Baxter between the sticks and the injury situation is easing.

If I'm them, I'm also pitching can beat anyone and we're champions elect.

No nerves, please, just play with commitment and positive intent (whilst shutting the back, obvs).

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:28 pm

North Westward Ho. We stay home and the Pompey sail up the map to visit the famous Unibol stadium. Here's how they are seeing a visit to the home of the Mighty Whites:

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/202 ... 13-apr-24/
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:42 pm

This must be the biggest match in years and years.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:42 pm

3-2 The Whites. A repeat of a game I went to at the Bok a few years back: We'd played well an were 3-1 up against Pompey with five minutes to go when chief assassin Andrew Cole popped up from nowhere and scored. The next five minutes seemed like an hour. We held out an won, but it was nerve-jangling. Not sure why that particular game stuck, but I'll be happy to repeat the result.. :oyea:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:14 am

Which way will the BWFC rollercoaster ride today? Massive high or massive low, no inbetweens possible!

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:20 am

Dream big, a Derby and Peterborough loss today and two wins for Bolton would give us the chance to get automatic promotion at home on our final home game of the season. Dreaming bigger, Portsmouth losing all their games would mean we'd have the chance to win the title on the final day of the season.

Daydreaming of course, I fully expect this to go down to the final day of the season.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:01 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:14 am
Which way will the BWFC rollercoaster ride today? Massive high or massive low, no inbetweens possible!
It's funny, it does seem like this team only does 10/10 or 3/10 performances.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:01 pm

Hope Iredale isnt dropped for Jones with Toal shunted left. Though I suspect that’s what might happen.

BorsdaneWhite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BorsdaneWhite » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:04 pm

What it’s all about.

I could be sick.

But it’s what it’s all about.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:10 pm

Show nerves and they'll be exploited. Go in with hunger and desire and we can't be matched. If they come to play we should be able to score.

Last team that came with an expectant swagger was Sunderland and we sent them home with their tails between their legs.

Confidence without arrogance is key.

COYWM!!!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:30 pm

Domed. YhIhf... far too much ying/yang chakra or whatever...

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:32 pm

Anyone reckon it'll be a "what were we so nervous about" game? No? me neither.