Re: Twixt Cups and Lips. Home to Shrewbury Town, Tuesday Apr 16th 7-45.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:06 pm

Just. Keep. Winning.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Cups and Lips. Home to Shrewbury Town, Tuesday Apr 16th 7-45.

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:53 pm

The hows and the whys matter not. Must win.

A proper spanking would do wonders for three things, though - 1) our goal difference, 2) our confidence, 3) potentially instilling a bit of "oh-God-that-train-is-coming-up-behind-really-effing-QUICK" fear into Derby...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:10 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:53 pm

A proper spanking would do wonders for three things, though - 1) our goal difference, 2) our confidence, 3) potentially instilling a bit of "oh-God-that-train-is-coming-up-behind-really-effing-QUICK" fear into Derby...
Momentum, too. Even if we're in the play-offs, I want us to be the form team in there. Oxford are making a play for that but if we go in off the back of a strong run, with key players back, I think we can prove we're worth promoting.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:16 pm

Saturday takes The pressure off a bit - think we’ll be ok.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:11 pm

I duplicated the match thread title then deleted both in error. My only point to make was for caution against the Shrews. It's all too easy to stand on a banana skin as Posh found out at Oxford, so keep the size tens on the pedal lads. As Auntie Doris once said " Whatever will be, will be; the future's not ours to see, Que Sera, Sera.."Go get em lads. :Jedi:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:16 pm

Just stick pictures of Lang in the back of each net we're shooting towards and tell Santos every player says they've had him on toast.

Simple.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:25 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:10 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:53 pm

Momentum, too. Even if we're in the play-offs, I want us to be the form team in there. Oxford are making a play for that but if we go in off the back of a strong run, with key players back, I think we can prove we're worth promoting.
Certainly the case that we need to give Derby a few sleepless nights especially if we can overturn some of that goal difference.

I'm also of the opinion that momentum matters here. Regardless of whether we go up via the autos it's crucial we keep up decent standards.

I'm not seeing Barnsley as realistic challengers despite their retention of top six. I just hope that any momentum we do get doesn't fizzle out like Lincolns has.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:37 am

3-0 to the super whites.

Derby to draw on Saturday while we win and we go into the last day in 2nd place
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Re: Twixt Cups and Lips. Home to Shrewbury Town, Tuesday Apr 16th 7-45.

Post by jmjhb » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:25 am

1-0 will do. Don't think we need to worry about GD any more.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:44 am

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:37 am
3-0 to the super whites.

Derby to draw on Saturday while we win and we go into the last day in 2nd place
They can't do better than a draw and a loss, for your 87 points prediction to work. So if it pans out thus, do we start the party on Saturday night? :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:47 am

It's going to be a bit heavy going after all this rain and an energy sapping match only three days ago, so let's hope we can play this one at a bit less frantic pace. Ideally, get a couple in front and not be fighting uphill, which we seem to be doing too often. We really are a good side with classy players and if we can make things a little less hard for ourselves we'll be unplayable. Maghoma and Ogbeta have added icing on an already good cake and all we need do now is light the candles. ( Oh, and get Dion back on the goal trail) COME ON YOU WHITES

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:58 am

jmjhb wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:25 am
1-0 will do. Don't think we need to worry about GD any more.
Hmmm. I think we'll fall just short on points, but taking away another safety net for Derby would be no bad thing on the additional pressure front. I'd quite like to make sure. :-)

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:41 pm

Whilst we should win tomorrow, I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion. I’d be slightly concerned about a mental hangover from the weekend given we likely cost ourselves the chance of the automatics.

Anyway, I’d be tempted to make a few personnel changes to avoid overworking some key players ahead of the playoffs.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:57 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:41 pm
Whilst we should win tomorrow, I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion. I’d be slightly concerned about a mental hangover from the weekend given we likely cost ourselves the chance of the automatics.

Anyway, I’d be tempted to make a few personnel changes to avoid overworking some key players ahead of the playoffs.
I hope the players and management haven't given up yet mate!!

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:06 pm

We take care of our business is all I ask. Every game will take a massive effort. I have been around the block too long to believe we "should" win 3-0 or whatever... The ball is round and games unpredictable. You can dominate and lose. That's why we love the game. Full of surprises. All I ask is that the players give their all. Win, draw or lose, that they gave their all. All the best guys.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:40 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:06 pm
We take care of our business is all I ask. Every game will take a massive effort. I have been around the block too long to believe we "should" win 3-0 or whatever... The ball is round and games unpredictable. You can dominate and lose. That's why we love the game. Full of surprises. All I ask is that the players give their all. Win, draw or lose, that they gave their all. All the best guys.

There will be those who throw back to "if only" what ever happens. Such is football. As ever, Que Sera for me. :oyea:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:41 pm

Got to win the next two by hook or by crook to take it to the last day.

Worth noting that if we do that, Peterborough would need to win all three of their games up to that point to still have a shout of going up automatically (they aren't the hardest games but all back to back). One draw in that and two wins for us and they'll have nothing to play for on the last day hopefully making that much more winnable.

Can only do our bit and hope Derby crack. The last few weeks in all divisions have shown the effect of pressure, far from guaranteed any of us win them all.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:43 pm

The other thing I wondered in the last 20 on sat where we had a go but didn't throw the kitchen sink was whether "do not lose" was a big message. One Derby draw now puts it in our hands again. If we'd lost we'd have needed them to lose too (or a biggish GD shift).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:28 pm

I think the ref killed the last twenty mins on Saturday. He was utterly fecking useless. Fell for every trick in the book. A red card (second yellow) to lang and a forced rethink on their sub would have nailed it. Hard not to abuse the useless feck* at times.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:47 pm

It was certainly warranting of a second yellow that piss-take. Refs aren't bothered though. They're often not quite fit enough for the rigors of the modern game and as a result, are very happy for it to be slowed down