Breaking pots... Home v Port Vale Sat 20th Apr. 3-0'Clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Breaking pots... Home v Port Vale Sat 20th Apr. 3-0'Clock.

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:36 pm

With regards to play offs Barnsley could drop out and Blackpool sneak in. God I'd hate to face Blackpool with our track record against them. If we have to do the play offs I'd rather Oxford and Lincoln make it along with Peterborough.

Anyway, that's moot as we're going to sneak the auto's in glorious fashion :D
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:44 pm

Collins is beginning to look like the player we all hoped he would be. Not afraid to have a pop at goal and he drifts nicely all along the front line.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:57 pm

And the other good thing about today was that we relegated Vale as well.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:00 pm

Feel pleased for Cameron and his goal. A good Pro. Its also nice when we score from a header. All season our wingbacks play in crosses on the floor to our forwards/midfielders which 90% of the time in my estimation are cleared. I guess the reason is that even although we have tall players such as Ade, Dadbod and Dan, they are not good headers of the football and prefer it on the ground. With Collins and recently Jerome who is getting more time on the field, we should really "stand it up" some more into the area as both are good headers of the football.

A nice win, hopefully with no injuries. With a spine of Baxter, Santos, Sheehan, Maghoma and Collins with a decent support cast, we do stand a good chance of going up through the playoffs.

I thought Dempsey coming on gave us more impetus, Dan looks physically improved as he held it up well, and even when Portvale change to 3 up front in the 2nd half, and created those 2 openings, we defended better. Why is it we continue to leave a free man on the 18 yard box for corners is beyond me. We AGAIN nearly conceded from it. A fascinating end to this season is in store for us.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:03 pm

I've swung from optimistic about the playoffs to deeply pessimistic, I just don't think we can defend well enough and we're struggling to score from the millions of chances we make. It feels like there is an easy formula to play against us, put 10 behind the ball and try hit us on the break or from a set piece. Home leg for the second game is an advantage, and I'm more confident about Wembley but if that first round is against Lincoln or Blackpool, I'd be very worried that we'll just fall short again. It's strange and frustrating because I look at our team as individuals and I'm really struggling to pick out a poor player, yet the performances recently just haven't quite been good enough.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:12 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:03 pm
I've swung from optimistic about the playoffs to deeply pessimistic, I just don't think we can defend well enough and we're struggling to score from the millions of chances we make. It feels like there is an easy formula to play against us, put 10 behind the ball and try hit us on the break or from a set piece. Home leg for the second game is an advantage, and I'm more confident about Wembley but if that first round is against Lincoln or Blackpool, I'd be very worried that we'll just fall short again. It's strange and frustrating because I look at our team as individuals and I'm really struggling to pick out a poor player, yet the performances recently just haven't quite been good enough.
The difference for me is that in the playoffs, teams are playing to win, and not to draw, so at some point, they will have to open up which provides us with more space to attack, which we enjoy. Outside of Pompey and Derby, I am pretty confident that we can take care of the other teams in the league.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:14 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:04 pm
dave the minion wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:02 pm
2 nil / 27 shots / 82% possession

Just got over the line.....
It's the first one that matters, plus 20 of them shots weren't on target. We've had 71 shots over 3 games and scored 5. To be fair, that's a piss poor return as two games have been draws.
Sadly, hard to disagree with....

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:17 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:19 pm
dave the minion wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:03 pm
Every credit to big Dan - looked good when he came on
I don’t know what you were watching but I admire the optimism.
Well, I watched a big strong forward come on after a long injury lay off and scrap for every ball and hold it up well.
I know you don't like him, but I thought he looked decent...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:23 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:12 pm
Spartan2 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:03 pm
The difference for me is that in the playoffs, teams are playing to win, and not to draw, so at some point, they will have to open up which provides us with more space to attack, which we enjoy. Outside of Pompey and Derby, I am pretty confident that we can take care of the other teams in the league.
I think the issue is the away leg. If a team gets a lead in that they will fancy their chances of not losing at out with a behind the ball approach.

As noted it’s a concern that we look vulnerable on the break and set pieces at the back as better sides could replicate a defensive first approach and pick off their chances against us.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:34 pm

Lets face it, we're play off bound.

I struggle to see a reality where:

- Derby lose to Carlisle at home
- Bolton beat Peterborough away
- Overturn a 4 goal deficit

Might be better to do the Barnsley Semi and meet Lincoln in the final given the form of the teams.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:38 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:34 pm

Might be better to do the Barnsley Semi and meet Lincoln in the final given the form of the teams.
Play offs can change everything. Form isn’t too much of a concern. Barnsley might not even make them!

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:14 pm

If we're to be successful, it'll be through Collins. Gets us something out of nothing, that lad.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:22 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:34 pm

Don t see the problem there.

It'll be reet

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:31 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:14 pm
If we're to be successful, it'll be through Collins. Gets us something out of nothing, that lad.
He’s been a cracking signing. Another distinct air of ‘stop fecking about with this lads’ about his goal.

I know we had to try and claw some goal difference back so it won’t necessarily translate to the play offs, but we we have two excellent chances away after we scored - one from a run where we missed tackles on the press and left ourselves exposed and another off the usual - set piece. Baxter of course is a nice safety net. And we can’t change who we are now - but my play off fear is a 1-0 away leg defeat we don’t manage to overturn… same as last year.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:02 pm

A laboured performance but a win against surely the worst team to come here this season?

All I can see in the play offs is a narrow away defeat then a draw at home. Whoever the opposition are. Stick a fork in us. We're done.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:24 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:17 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:19 pm
dave the minion wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:03 pm
Every credit to big Dan - looked good when he came on
I don’t know what you were watching but I admire the optimism.
Well, I watched a big strong forward come on after a long injury lay off and scrap for every ball and hold it up well.
I know you don't like him, but I thought he looked decent...
Not without hope DTM, but I'm not seeing it yet..Our 37 year old has looked a better investment.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:28 pm

He played well Dan in that cameo. I’m not convinced he’s the man to bring on if you need a goal, but he helps make the ball stick, noticed we got a lot more throw ins to him. It’s just the goals tho innit.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:36 pm

Yup. That's where I'm at. Just wanted to get in there with some positive praise for.him before the usual.diafribe of shit comes his way.

Also noticeable how close he seems with the rest of the team - not unlike our 37 year old, seems a good egg to have around the team.

I'd love him to be a 20 goal a season striker, but to be honest we don't need him to be, we've got 2 already in Collins and Charles...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:42 pm

Really hard to judge him. Really hard. I worry he’s a bit fragile - cos he’s never gonna go on a run like Collins is on now for goals. And if we’re one down at Wembley with 10 to go and it’s a choice between him and Jerome, it’s probably Cameron you would back to score. But he’s a good footballer and he gives a different dynamic. Just so hard to tell with him missing for so long. He needs a season at this level next season - can see his confidence disappearing in the championship.