We Must Beat-a-borough - Away v Peterborough, Sat Apr 27th 12:30

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

We Must Beat-a-borough - Away v Peterborough, Sat Apr 27th 12:30

Post by Mar » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:04 pm

Eyes on the league, we've got to beat Peterborough to stand any chance and hope Derby drop points.

It all came good in 2018 when we beat Peterborough, Derby beat Barnsley 4-1 (a certain Cameron Jerome opening the scoring and secure a playoff place themselves) and 10 man Preston ending Burton's 3 game winning streak to finish 2-1 and condemn them to relegation (Preston finishing 7th and narrowly missing out on playoffs).

We need another miracle tomorrow against the same opponents. This time it may be Jerome being the hero away hopefully cementing legendary status with a Wilbraham esque climatic finish to the season.

Or, it may all fall apart and become a dead rubber, cementing a play off position for Bolton.

There is nothing riding on the game for Carlisle other than pride at Pride Park, they've beat us and Peterborough already away so there's a slight chance. It's a dead rubber for them, and should they concede early and wallow in self pity it may be curtains for us.

I'll go for our strongest lineup available:

Gilks,
Matheson, Khumbeni, Johnston, John
CMG, Toure, Tutte
Adeboyejo, JDB, Carty

Hopefully no-ones injured or unavailable.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: We Must Beat-a-borough - Away v Peterborough, Sat Apr 27th 12:30

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:45 pm

If it were just a league match we'd be thinking a draw would be a decent result. Winning 5-0..well, stranger things have happened. One can but hope. Que Sera..:oyea:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:02 pm

Mar wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:04 pm
Eyes on the league, we've got to beat Peterborough to stand any chance and hope Derby drop points.

It all came good in 2018 when we beat Peterborough, Derby beat Barnsley 4-1 (a certain Cameron Jerome opening the scoring and secure a playoff place themselves) and 10 man Preston ending Burton's 3 game winning streak to finish 2-1 and condemn them to relegation (Preston finishing 7th and narrowly missing out on playoffs).

We need another miracle tomorrow against the same opponents. This time it may be Jerome being the hero away hopefully cementing legendary status with a Wilbraham esque climatic finish to the season.

Or, it may all fall apart and become a dead rubber, cementing a play off position for Bolton.

There is nothing riding on the game for Carlisle other than pride at Pride Park, they've beat us and Peterborough already away so there's a slight chance. It's a dead rubber for them, and should they concede early and wallow in self pity it may be curtains for us.

Gilks,
CMG, Toure, Tutte
Adeboyejo, JDB, Carty

Think you're mixing up your pitch invasions :D ?

P'Boro was the year before, we won 3-0 at home, one Jem Karacan opening the scoring to finish above Scunthorpe and Fleetwood and get promotion back to the Champo, setting the scene one year later for the Wilbraham moment.

P'Boro was the best drinking day of my life. 8 pints and a blue WKD watching us get promoted and then a full day of football in the pub, followed by a KFC, 8pm bedtime, 14 hours sleep and I woke up good as new!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:10 pm

100/1 the result in this game matters.

See where we are at half time and make sure the subs are warmed up.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:31 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:02 pm
Mar wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:04 pm

Gilks,
CMG, Toure, Tutte
Adeboyejo, JDB, Carty

Think you're mixing up your pitch invasions :D ?

P'Boro was the year before, we won 3-0 at home, one Jem Karacan opening the scoring to finish above Scunthorpe and Fleetwood and get promotion back to the Champo, setting the scene one year later for the Wilbraham moment.

P'Boro was the best drinking day of my life. 8 pints and a blue WKD watching us get promoted and then a full day of football in the pub, followed by a KFC, 8pm bedtime, 14 hours sleep and I woke up good as new!

Indeed you are right. Serves me right for trying to go tongue in cheek whilst tired and at work.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:31 pm

My focus would be on the playoffs..

Stay with Taylor to start at CB instead of Santos
Morley instead of Sheehan
Dempsey for Maghoma
Cameron for Collins

Baxter
Jones Taylor Toal
JDC Dempsey Morley Thommo WIlliams
Charles Cameron

Yeah, I know Evatts ego will not pick a side like this, but Posh will not be full strength either, so this is a dead rubber for me. Keep our dribblers and game changers on the bench ..Collins. Maghoma, Ogbeta. Dont give Posh a chance to learn/preview how to stop them before the final. If a 100/1 miracle is taking place at Derby we make changes accordingly during the game.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:24 pm

Baxter

Jones Santos Iredale

Sheehan

JDC Maghoma Thomason Ogbeta

Charles Collins

The above is on the proviso that all those players are fully fit.

If Derby are winning at HT then sub off Santos, Sheehan, Maghoma, JDC and Collins.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:31 pm

Think you need to start strongish anyway. Can't have Derby go 1 down and then suddenly decide to win by 3.

Dion and Collins need time together. Can sub then at HT if needs be.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:35 am

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:24 pm
Baxter

Jones Santos Iredale

Sheehan

JDC Maghoma Thomason Ogbeta

Charles Collins

The above is on the proviso that all those players are fully fit.

If Derby are winning at HT then sub off Santos, Sheehan, Maghoma, JDC and Collins.
Seems a sensible side you've picked there. Were it not for the case of us needing to score a load of goals to catch the goal difference I'd be looking to get Williams some game time to freshen him up.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:59 am

Williams could start on the right I suppose. Anyway team will be picked now. My gut is we’ll peter (ha!) out to a draw here as Derby will take an early lead, Carlisle will equalise late on but we’ll end the day as we started.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:02 am

Hopefully we can relax and play our best stuff in the knowledge that 2nd is a long shot. It'd certainly do us no harm to put in a dominant performance in advance of next weekend.

Will the coach be out for this one?

BorsdaneWhite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BorsdaneWhite » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:14 am

Does anyone know how we’re doing with “must win” games this season?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:18 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:59 am
Williams could start on the right I suppose. Anyway team will be picked now. My gut is we’ll peter (ha!) out to a draw here as Derby will take an early lead, Carlisle will equalise late on but we’ll end the day as we started.
You'd have to expect the team to have been picked by now. Odds are we've taken quite a few down given what the outcome could potentially be and i'm sure that there will be a fair few keen on being in contention in case someone gets injured.

Not that anxious about this match, feels like we're play off bound. Any improvement on that would be delightful.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:43 am

Santos and Dempsey in for Taylor and Maghoma.

Paris is ill.

Otherwise unchanged.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:45 am

Damn, no Maghoma.

They're saying he's missing out due to illness and we've got to take them at their word, but it wouldn't surprise me if the club have thought it's a bit of a lost cause and we'd benefit from resting him. Not that they could come out and say that of course, so illness it is.

Hopefully it'll leave him fresher for the play offs. Would've been good to give him a good send off as a thanks, if we get promoted. Would be even better if we signed him permanently.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:50 am

A rhyme in time:

The time has come, the Gaffer said,
To talk of many things:
Do we charge from Midfield
Or leave it to the Wings?

Can we score a pan-full
By playing to the letter,
Will Dion be the hero,
Or Williams and Ogbeta?

Sheehan, Dempsy, Eoin Toal,
Collins or Jerome,
We don't care who gets a goal,
A shame we ain't at home.

Banjo's and cows asses,
Just won't do the trick
Thomason or Gethin Jones,
Collins, or Big Ric ?

Will we beat the savage foe,
Can the Posh lot tame us?
Let's just go, cos I don't know
My name's not Nostradamus. :D

Get in there and sort it Whites... :Jedi:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:58 am

Well an interesting day today. On the one hand there's always the chance of the Fat Lady singing a belter and hitting the right note. More than likely a seeing out of the season and making sure no one gets needlessly injured. I'll go for the latter but with a little piece of me hoping the first actually can happen :D
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:06 pm

BorsdaneWhite wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:14 am
Does anyone know how we’re doing with “must win” games this season?
Only had a quick look back. Pretty good it seems. 🤣🤣

Edit: I think this is the first league game where if we don't win we can't go up...when did we start "must wins?" About December?
Last edited by Worthy4England on Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:12 pm

Sorry peeps, the couch has blown up today and I have to set off for work in 20 mins.
I will try to sort it for the second half. I know the club are allowed to stream it today so it's available if you would like to purchase it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:15 pm

Cheers for taking time out to let us know, mate.