Up Winter Hill Bah't hat. Home to Barnsley, Tues 7th May 8-0 clock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Up Winter Hill Bah't hat. Home to Barnsley, Tues 7th May 8-0 clock

Post by Prufrock » Sat May 04, 2024 10:56 pm

That Mason-Clark is some player isn't he?! Yeesh, don't fancy him against Geth on a big pitch (again). Come on you yellows.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Sun May 05, 2024 3:53 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 9:48 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 9:37 pm
Peterborough looked dangerous after conceding. Well played Oxford.
Posh did look dangerous and came near a couple of times, but Oxford played like they were more interested in hanging on to that 1-0 lead. Proceed with caution must be our own mandate whoever we play.

p.s, I'd be marking Joel Randall of Peterboro down in the notebook as one to chase for us next season. Class player that lad.

ae:) ae:)
Aye he's looked very tidy in the two games I've seen of him.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 05, 2024 6:53 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 10:56 pm
That Mason-Clark is some player isn't he?! Yeesh, don't fancy him against Geth on a big pitch (again). Come on you yellows.
Or Poku up against Toal…..

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 05, 2024 10:16 am

Let's abandon any negative thoughts. We got here and made a good start in something that's pretty unpredictable due to the different ambience that sudden death type matches (that's what this is relevant to) bring. All the players involved are decent and even Sherlock Holmes would probably hedge his bets on the end result. One thing's for sure, it will be an all out scrap where none but the brave will triumph.

Personally, I hope Oxford can win through, because quality wise, Posh are the biggest threat. Oxford won't agree, that's for sure, but that's just my view. I'm not thinking Wembley and although Ian Evatt will be trying to keep the lads focus on Barnsley, the big arena will be at the back of everyone's minds. Let's keep those Tykes a couple of goals behind us and just play good football. We could also have a secret wish for a friendly ref (if such a thing exists)..To battle then and may the best team (us) win. Que Sera Sera...:Jedi:

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 05, 2024 12:22 pm

That’s very true TD. We have a huge job to do Tuesday. Tie is not over. It will be hard. And it’s easy to get carried away but hopefully the players aren’t and are completely focussed on Tuesday. Have to play the game as though it’s 0-0 and we need to win. Anything less than that spells trouble.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 05, 2024 1:15 pm

We don't have to look too far back to a side 4-0 up, who didn't make it...

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Sun May 05, 2024 5:27 pm

I see the play off final will take place at 16.15 on the 18th May. As I shall be in Norway on a fjord cruise and no Internet access I won't know the result until Sunday morning, the tension will be unbearable
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 05, 2024 9:36 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 5:27 pm
I see the play off final will take place at 16.15 on the 18th May. As I shall be in Norway on a fjord cruise and no Internet access I won't know the result until Sunday morning, the tension will be unbearable
You mean they don't know Ric and the lads in Norway... :shock: :lol:

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun May 05, 2024 9:45 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 5:27 pm
My good man. That cruise will likely have WiFi aboard, potentially for a fee.

I would consider that you're ability to access the match could possibly be achieved given a bit of tech wizardry.

https://cruise.blog/2023/06/how-get-fre ... and%20more.

If they can get Internet on board planes you should be able to get Internet via ships.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Sun May 05, 2024 11:27 pm

Yep I've checked and my phone package allows roaming in Norway so as long as we are not too far from land I may be able to use my roaming data.
I've also apparently got some giga-wallops included in my onboard package, as well as the all important drinks package, so all may not be lost

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon May 06, 2024 1:32 am

knobpolisher wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 11:27 pm
Yep I've checked and my phone package allows roaming in Norway so as long as we are not too far from land I may be able to use my roaming data.
I've also apparently got some giga-wallops included in my onboard package, as well as the all important drinks package, so all may not be lost
Good stuff, only thing you gotta worry about now is whether or not the country you're in gets Skysports / ifollow?

Although I suspect that would be easily fixed by adding a VPN app on your phone.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Mon May 06, 2024 8:50 am

If I can get Internet via mobile data I will pick a drink from the bar and try and find a comfy couch

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 06, 2024 9:15 am

knobpolisher wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 8:50 am
If I can get Internet via mobile data I will pick a drink from the bar and try and find a comfy couch
Feels like we maybe have to get there first before worrying about the practicalities of how to watch a match that might not even happen?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon May 06, 2024 9:34 am

I'm already feeling a bit sick about tomorrow. I know we've got what it takes to beat em but a typical Bolton scenario sees us go a goal down at the very least.

From a supporters point of view L1 has been great. We dominate most games we've played, play some lovely stuff at times and scored a shedload of goals against the weaker sides. It wouldn't be the worst thing if we screw up from here would it?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 06, 2024 9:45 am

I suspect this will be laughed out of town but I’ve been thinking about the fact we now go into a game (and maybe one after) where there is potential for extra time and *shudder* penalties. And was thinking about that and how Evatt uses his strikers.

Charles and Collins are clearly our first choices and rightly so. But they also are highly unlikely to play a full 120 minutes effectively given the work they get through. And we know Evatt will always change the forwards.

Is this a problem going into a game where it might be right and we might need our best strikers on the pitch in extra time. And IF we get through an even bigger question at Wembley where tiring defenders and sharp attackers towards the end might be the difference between promotion and not.

In the same way Allardyce used Ricketts off the bench at Cardiff and asked holdsworth to do the donkey work is there a case for one of, or even both Charles and Collins being held back in these games?

I guess not. But it’s a scenario where our two best strikers and two best penalty takers you’d really want on at the end if possible….ideally fresh enough to make a big impact.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon May 06, 2024 10:26 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 9:45 am
I suspect this will be laughed out of town but I’ve been thinking about the fact we now go into a game (and maybe one after) where there is potential for extra time and *shudder* penalties. And was thinking about that and how Evatt uses his strikers.

Charles and Collins are clearly our first choices and rightly so. But they also are highly unlikely to play a full 120 minutes effectively given the work they get through. And we know Evatt will always change the forwards.

Is this a problem going into a game where it might be right and we might need our best strikers on the pitch in extra time. And IF we get through an even bigger question at Wembley where tiring defenders and sharp attackers towards the end might be the difference between promotion and not.

In the same way Allardyce used Ricketts off the bench at Cardiff and asked holdsworth to do the donkey work is there a case for one of, or even both Charles and Collins being held back in these games?

I guess not. But it’s a scenario where our two best strikers and two best penalty takers you’d really want on at the end if possible….ideally fresh enough to make a big impact.
Nothing laughable about that. In fact it poses an interesting question, would we rather them on the pitch in the closing stages or on the pitch from the off?

Weve got Vic, Nlundulu and Jerome looking to get time on the pitch. Given how we played in the first leg it's a good indication we would benefit from pace down the wing and whipped balls into the box. For me that doesn't fit Jerome's remit and out of Dan or Vic I'd argue Dan's probably the best for that type of play.

It would be an interesting gamble resting one for later in the match. Resting Charles and Collins would probably get the fans backs up and give the impetus to Barnsley.

Personally I'd aim for Charles and Collins from the off and for them to do the business in regular time. Vic and Jerome to come on and see the game out. If we can't hold onto what we've got or any advantage that our main strikers bring then we don't deserve to go up.

Our strikers on the bench are good enough to worry this opposition. I'd like to see Nlundulus pace out there counter attacking when Barnsley get stretched.

We could do with another goal to kill off Barnsley hopes.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon May 06, 2024 10:37 am

If we could be so kind as to avoid defeat that would be nice as I've got the deal of the century with 6 colleagues at work that would enable me to drive from Cardiff to Wembley with 1 hour to spare.

Please don't mess this up lads!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 06, 2024 11:06 am

Only sold just over 22K for this. I never really understand Bolton fans. 26 for what was always likely to be meaningless against Portsmouth. Then our biggest game of the season so far and likely to be under 25 thousand. What’s the issue? Tickets are reasonably priced. Is it KO time? Or are too many just happy to watch on TV?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon May 06, 2024 11:50 am

I'm never normally one to defend our support, but I think the consideration here is all about kick off time. Portsmouth was a Saturday 3pm kick off, no hope of watching it on the box, and was included with your standard season ticket. This one is a work/school night, on the telly, and you need to fork out extra for it.

Could well be folk with budgets that only extend to one additional football match too, thinking that they'll catch this one on the telly and splurge on a trip to Wembley. I dunno.

I'll be there, on the flag as usual. My dad and I fork out for our STs even though we don't have to, but we haven't bought tickets for this one as it isn't a necessary purchase - we're in the ground regardless. But if we weren't you can guarantee that there'd be at least two more tickets sold for tonight...

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon May 06, 2024 11:52 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:06 am
Only sold just over 22K for this. I never really understand Bolton fans. 26 for what was always likely to be meaningless against Portsmouth. Then our biggest game of the season so far and likely to be under 25 thousand. What’s the issue? Tickets are reasonably priced. Is it KO time? Or are too many just happy to watch on TV?
Probably all those reasons and it's a schoolnight as well.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle: