Up Winter Hill Bah't hat. Home to Barnsley, Tues 7th May 8-0 clock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Up Winter Hill Bah't hat. Home to Barnsley, Tues 7th May 8-0 clock

Post by dave the minion » Mon May 06, 2024 12:55 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:52 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:06 am
Only sold just over 22K for this. I never really understand Bolton fans. 26 for what was always likely to be meaningless against Portsmouth. Then our biggest game of the season so far and likely to be under 25 thousand. What’s the issue? Tickets are reasonably priced. Is it KO time? Or are too many just happy to watch on TV?
Probably all those reasons and it's a schoolnight as well.
I think this is the biggest reason unfortunately. Me & my lad are going, but TBH its a pain the Harris - we've got a well over an hour "commute" either side and it makes it very late back for him on a school night. If its on telly in any case then I can see a lot of people preferring to stay at home and watch

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 06, 2024 1:23 pm

It’s a bit modern footballitis I guess. At burnden back in the day people would queue for hours for these occasions.

Now the biggest game of the season rocks round and it’s ’oh it’s an evening game bit tricky’.

I get it to an extent it just feels odd. If we go through I will be interested to see how many we take down to Wembley. Same sort of caveats apply. Term time. More expensive than PJT final. Awkward kick off time. I’m thinking could be quite a low contingent travelling.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon May 06, 2024 2:10 pm

We sold out in 95 for the league cup final the took about 25k for the play off. It is what it is.

Weeknights on the motorway coupled with work patterns limits me to Saturdays. If we wanted to sell out to plastics week in week out we’d turn into one of the premier league lot and frankly I’d rather be us!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 06, 2024 2:22 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 2:10 pm
We sold out in 95 for the league cup final the took about 25k for the play off. It is what it is.

Weeknights on the motorway coupled with work patterns limits me to Saturdays. If we wanted to sell out to plastics week in week out we’d turn into one of the premier league lot and frankly I’d rather be us!
Yeah I get that. I used to have a 4 hour drive each way and for years I went to most home games I probably missed two evening ones a season at most. But you’d not have kept me away from a play off second leg regardless.

However, that was then. Now if you offered me 8 hours travelling and hassle with sorting out work to accommodate it, with the other option being paying a tenner to watch it on telly or even watching it on my existing subscription etc….then yeah I might have been less likely to bother in those circumstances.

I guess I just find it surprising given our attendances generally that when the really big one comes round it’s not completely sold out.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 06, 2024 2:23 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 2:10 pm
And that was the division above. For our 1991 third-tier final against Tranmere, which Elton Welsby had tumescently predicted to attract 70,000, there were 30,217 rattling round the old Wembley. They literally piped in noise from the Tranmere end - you could hear it through the tinny Tannoys - and I'm sure they did the same for them too.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 06, 2024 3:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 1:23 pm
It’s a bit modern footballitis I guess. At burnden back in the day people would queue for hours for these occasions.

Now the biggest game of the season rocks round and it’s ’oh it’s an evening game bit tricky’.

I get it to an extent it just feels odd. If we go through I will be interested to see how many we take down to Wembley. Same sort of caveats apply. Term time. More expensive than PJT final. Awkward kick off time. I’m thinking could be quite a low contingent travelling.
Have we got all of South open? Didn"t they only give us 2.5k roughly?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 06, 2024 3:18 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 3:13 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

They’ve got south upper we are selling home tickets in south lower.

I assume that’s why they only gave us the small allocation as we were doing that.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 06, 2024 3:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 3:18 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I assume that’s why they only gave us the small allocation as we were doing that.
Their forum suggested they might have wanted the cap away. South Lower doesn't look well subscibed at the minute..

Dunno about others, but there are plenty of seats, that if they were the only ones available and it was on telly, I might think cba going. Don't like upper tier or first few pitchside rows...maybe a bit different if your regular spot is also your preferred spot on an ST.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 06, 2024 3:52 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 3:34 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 3:18 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Their forum suggested they might have wanted the cap away. South Lower doesn't look well subscibed at the minute..

Dunno about others, but there are plenty of seats, that if they were the only ones available and it was on telly, I might think cba going. Don't like upper tier or first few pitchside rows...maybe a bit different if your regular spot is also your preferred spot on an ST.
I suspect we decided to give them south upper early so we could sell south lower and they retaliated by offering same allocation in that massive stand.

South lower looks all gone to me bar the west stand corner?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon May 06, 2024 4:04 pm

Yeah, looks to me like the biggest mass unsold blocks are the South West corner, and the entirety of North Upper. Given that South West is normally not home fans, and the North Upper is usually families, guess it sorta tracks that it's term-time school night and TV factors keeping folk away...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 06, 2024 4:06 pm

Guess we'll never know who did what, when, just quite a few on theirs called it t'other way round as their attendances hadn't been great at home, recently, due to indifferent form. Dunno.

Agree it's the couple of blocks to WSL that have chunks missing...NSL (my preferred stomping ground) also seems to have chunks of capacity...

Guess it is what it is.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 06, 2024 4:12 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 4:04 pm
Yeah, looks to me like the biggest mass unsold blocks are the South West corner, and the entirety of North Upper. Given that South West is normally not home fans, and the North Upper is usually families, guess it sorta tracks that it's term-time school night and TV factors keeping folk away...
Maybe but it’s also likely that north upper folk have moved given it’s cheaper for families there normally so people probably ‘put up with it’ but for this no reason not to move elsewhere.

Apparently ‘short notice’ also a factor. People need more advance warning as to when the game is to make arrangements and was only confirmed last week. Can see that for some I guess.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 06, 2024 4:14 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 4:06 pm
Guess we'll never know who did what, when, just quite a few on theirs called it t'other way round as their attendances hadn't been great at home, recently, due to indifferent form. Dunno.

Agree it's the couple of blocks to WSL that have chunks missing...NSL (my preferred stomping ground) also seems to have chunks of capacity...

Guess it is what it is.

Yeah maybe but wouldn’t they have fancied selling 4-5K away tickets in that case? Lot of money to turn down that especially when you aren’t selling out the home end.

BorsdaneWhite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BorsdaneWhite » Mon May 06, 2024 4:24 pm

Bolton were offered the 2k and Bolton matched it in response. Can understand it from their perspective—they were taciturn before their goal—but it is a shame not to have that raucous atmosphere for the sake of game management.

I’m sure their tannoy announcement said there were only 13k there, but I may have misheard.

I fully expect us to be 0-1 down in the first 10 and it to be a horrid 90. Sure they’ll start Cosgrove, too, as he’s well under our skin.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 06, 2024 4:27 pm

I *think* last year we announced allocation first (our home leg first) and they were irked by how few they got, so they retaliated. This year, the other way round.

But I could be wrong.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 06, 2024 4:32 pm

BorsdaneWhite wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 4:24 pm
I’m sure their tannoy announcement said there were only 13k there, but I may have misheard.
Aye, 13,846
Last season, attendance at theirs was 16,274 (first leg at ours 23,450)

Their avg home league attendance this season was 12,730 (us 21,080) so I think it's fair to say the streets of Barnsley are not awash in Wembley fever

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon May 06, 2024 4:44 pm

BorsdaneWhite wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 4:24 pm
I fully expect us to be 0-1 down in the first 10 and it to be a horrid 90. Sure they’ll start Cosgrove, too, as he’s well under our skin.
Can see this - it is the play offs. Got to be managed by Evatt - if we go one down, and we’re aggrieved at the ref for a none decision or whatever we’ve got to keep our heads. Worst thing that we can do tomorrow is go down to ten men. If cosgrove is successfully winding Toal up he needs to be prepared to hook him - Iredale is more than adequate. I’m fairly sure we’ll score as well - they were not good at the back!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 06, 2024 4:55 pm

Evatt ‘nothing is achieved tomorrow night’.

Agree entirely. This is the right attitude. Play offs are nothing if you don’t win them. And tomorrow night will not likely be easy. Big job to do and IF they do it then it counts for nowt unless they do the next one.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon May 06, 2024 5:10 pm

Well I'll be tuning in from the south of France so my mate had better dust off his old English kettle. None of that fancy French cafetiere shite.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon May 06, 2024 5:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 4:55 pm
Evatt ‘nothing is achieved tomorrow night’.

Agree entirely. This is the right attitude. Play offs are nothing if you don’t win them. And tomorrow night will not likely be easy. Big job to do and IF they do it then it counts for nowt unless they do the next one.
Note the date!! :shock: