Brexit or Britin

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Brexit or Britin

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Well, I'm heading down to the polling station (otherwise known as Bolton Cricket Club) this afternoon. In effect, it'll probably be just a waste of time because all I'm ( everybody) being asked is what my opinion is. It won't matter a damn one way or another and neither will the overall result of the polls. The government will do what it thinks regardless, and Cameron and a lack of confidence in his leadership seems to be the biggest reason anybody will bother voting at all.
That really is a very odd view. .
It's not as odd as demanding reparations from the leave group if they win and folk lose out financially!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:59 pm

The voting in pen one is my favorite conspiracy theory of a mad bunch. We think the govt might alter our voting slip but not just lie about it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:05 pm

Prufrock wrote:The voting in pen one is my favorite conspiracy theory of a mad bunch. We think the govt might alter our voting slip but not just lie about it.
I hadn't spotted this when Beefy mentioned it last page. I need to get my vote back from the ballot box to ensure it's not been changed and re-do it in pen.

Bastards, changing people's votes.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:07 pm

Still not got the foggiest which way to vote.
Businesswoman of the year.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Well, I'm heading down to the polling station (otherwise known as Bolton Cricket Club) this afternoon. In effect, it'll probably be just a waste of time because all I'm ( everybody) being asked is what my opinion is. It won't matter a damn one way or another and neither will the overall result of the polls. The government will do what it thinks regardless, and Cameron and a lack of confidence in his leadership seems to be the biggest reason anybody will bother voting at all.
That really is a very odd view. Nobody has said the government will do what it thinks regardless. This is a referendum not a polling of the populous to find the view. It is a decision point and the government could technically ignore the result either way but it is highly unlikely to do so.
t's the view of more than just myself if talking to folk is any guide. Who really knows what the decision either way will result in? Do you?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Rjs37
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rjs37 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:57 pm

Prufrock wrote:The voting in pen one is my favorite conspiracy theory of a mad bunch. We think the govt might alter our voting slip but not just lie about it.
Knowing our government, they'd probably stuff up altering the voting slips and would then need to lie about the result anyway.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:12 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
That really is a very odd view. Nobody has said the government will do what it thinks regardless. This is a referendum not a polling of the populous to find the view. It is a decision point and the government could technically ignore the result either way but it is highly unlikely to do so.
t's the view of more than just myself if talking to folk is any guide. Who really knows what the decision either way will result in? Do you?
So people think if we vote stay the government will decide "nah, lets just leave anyhow"?

Really? I mean there are a few mentalists who believe wild conspiracy theories but this stretches it a bit.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
So people think if we vote stay the government will decide "nah, lets just leave anyhow"?

Really? I mean there are a few mentalists who believe wild conspiracy theories but this stretches it a bit.
I would suspect it would be more like "we voted to stay in all good faith but the bastards did not come through with what we were promised - so now we will leave"
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Rjs37
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rjs37 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:So people think if we vote stay the government will decide "nah, lets just leave anyhow"?

Probably more the opposite. The only way the government would leave without the backing of a referendum is if UKIP were in power.

However if it's a slight majority for leave, the government (during or instead of initiating the notice period) could decides to use that as ammunition for further negotiations and then hold a second vote based on the result of those negotiations. Repeating a vote to get the answer the government wants certainly isn't unprecedented.

For me, the government have no choice but to respect the decision that the public make. But I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility of a second referendum. Either repeating the same question (and hoping we change our minds), or defining exactly what type of relationship we want with the EU.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:19 pm

Rjs37 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:So people think if we vote stay the government will decide "nah, lets just leave anyhow"?

Probably more the opposite. The only way the government would leave without the backing of a referendum is if UKIP were in power.

However if it's a slight majority for leave, the government (during or instead of initiating the notice period) could decides to use that as ammunition for further negotiations and then hold a second vote based on the result of those negotiations. Repeating a vote to get the answer the government wants certainly isn't unprecedented.

For me, the government have no choice but to respect the decision that the public make. But I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility of a second referendum. Either repeating the same question (and hoping we change our minds), or defining exactly what type of relationship we want with the EU.
I'd prefer a general election with the different parties putting forward their vision for how we exit, This way, we can vote a new government in with a mandate to either take us out fully, stick us in the EEA or some other version. The important thing being we have a government with a mandate to shape the future.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:26 pm

Rjs37 wrote:

Problem is that once you head down that route, the options I suspect would start to become unmanageable.

If we took the question "Do you want a free trade agreement with Europe?" for example - would that include one that encompassed free movement of people? etc.

It wouldn't surprise me if there hadn't been some thinking over the years around things like that, but I reckon you almost certainly either end up with a sh*t load of referenda/referenda questions, or you head to the more simplistic In/Out.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:31 pm

Why is this being raised now? EU have categorically said that there are no negotiations to be had. None. Zilch. This is it, take it or leave it
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:35 pm

boltonboris wrote:Why is this being raised now? EU have categorically said that there are no negotiations to be had. None. Zilch. This is it, take it or leave it
Dunno - I didn't raise it. I think we're having a take it or leave it vote. :-)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:46 pm

boltonboris wrote:Why is this being raised now? EU have categorically said that there are no negotiations to be had. None. Zilch. This is it, take it or leave it
cos tango reckons the govt will just ignore the result of the referendum...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:58 pm

thebish wrote:
And what exactly have EU's no negotiations got to do with me not trusting the government to listen to the people? As stated several times, I haven't the faintest idea what is the right or wrong of deciding either way or what the government should do. They're supposed to tell me. Nothing for you to start a debate about.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Rjs37
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rjs37 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:58 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Rjs37 wrote:

I'd prefer a general election with the different parties putting forward their vision for how we exit, This way, we can vote a new government in with a mandate to either take us out fully, stick us in the EEA or some other version. The important thing being we have a government with a mandate to shape the future.
I would certainly prefer that too, though I can't see the government stepping aside to hold a very early general election. Even if its a better way of giving the public a choice over the type of relationship we have with the EU.

Rjs37
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rjs37 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:08 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Problem is that once you head down that route, the options I suspect would start to become unmanageable.

If we took the question "Do you want a free trade agreement with Europe?" for example - would that include one that encompassed free movement of people? etc.

It wouldn't surprise me if there hadn't been some thinking over the years around things like that, but I reckon you almost certainly either end up with a sh*t load of referenda/referenda questions, or you head to the more simplistic In/Out.
Yeah it could very quickly get unmanageable, plus a huge percentage of people probably wouldn't understand the options that they have to choose between.

Though I'm pretty sure Switzerland themselves had a similar type of referendum. Then again they hold referendums for everything. They had 14 in one year back in 2014, with three of those on the same day!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:38 pm

Has anyone considered that we won't get to choose the exact basis of our relationship with Europe if we leave?

After all, everyone moans about it whilst we've got a say. I doubt our spread of options will be that large outside of n organisation we have no influence in.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:36 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
thebish wrote:
And what exactly have EU's no negotiations got to do with me not trusting the government to listen to the people? As stated several times, I haven't the faintest idea what is the right or wrong of deciding either way or what the government should do. They're supposed to tell me. Nothing for you to start a debate about.
Well - bluster asidd , you DID write that your vote was pointless cos the gov would take no notice of the referendum result...

I think that is VERY unlikely...

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:04 pm

It's looking like a North/ South divide??
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.