Brexit or Britin

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Rjs37
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Brexit or Britin

Post by Rjs37 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:43 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:What do we do then, re-build Hadrian's Wall?
Nah, we'd be sacrificing part of England if we did that :D. Part of the wall is 68 miles from the border!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:51 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Funny thing to me is how the leave campaign look absolutely terrified. I don't think they thought they'd win and I already see backtracking and softening up of messaging "well we can take our time". "We're still European and they are our friends" etc etc...

I think they're beginning to brick it. Think they also thought Cameron would stay to deal with the flak for a while.
Ah, you've been round and visited them all have you? All this from the comfort of your lounge and B.B.C newsround. Great.
Chill dude.

Watch Boris and Gove's statement and tell me they don't have a look of "oh shit we didn't expect this to actually happen, what have we done" about them!

EDIT: Seems many leave voters have this feeling...
Louisa Compton ‏@louisa_compton 2h2 hours ago

With leave voters in Manchester for BBCNews -most told us they woke up thinking "what have I done?" & didn't actually expect the uk to leave
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:54 pm

I'm finding it hard to believe (although I shouldn't really) that the UK components are so very ready ( almost overnight) to believe that they can just stick passport control cabins up on the borders of their respective camps and become suddenly independent selling kilts and bottled Guinness. . It's our combined futures we're talking about here, not the European Cup.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:11 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Important matters first though. The office airhead has just asked if her Euro Millions ticket for tonight is still valid. God love her. :lol:
Ha! I overhead someone in a high-viz ask another "how can we even leave the UK?"
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:15 pm

I just want to make clear as a Remain supporter, that I don't want Michael Gove reaching out to me consensually. Or in any other manner.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:16 pm

Good ole fox news...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:18 pm

God there's some panic fannies about.

If the vote had been reversed it would have been "A ringing endorsement, nothing to see here, carry on etc etc" all conveniently forgetting the 48% & umpteen millions that voted against it.

We've hardly told the EU to sod off. Like the French. the Swedes, the Danes and umpteen others, millions of our citizens have said they want no part of Europe as it is. Only difference in our case (& in the Danes 1st time around) is our outers slightly exceeded our inners.

There'll be some fudged compromise, a bit more reform and another referendum. Possibly
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:22 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:God there's some panic fannies about.

If the vote had been reversed it would have been "A ringing endorsement, nothing to see here, carry on etc etc" all conveniently forgetting the 48% & umpteen millions that voted against it.

We've hardly told the EU to sod off. Like the French. the Swedes, the Danes and umpteen others, millions of our citizens have said they want no part of Europe as it is. Only difference in our case (& in the Danes 1st time around) is our outers slightly exceeded our inners.

There'll be some fudged compromise, a bit more reform and another referendum. Possibly
No there won't. The EU have very categorically stated no renegotiation, please enact article 50 as soon as possible.

We're out. Simple as that. No renegotiation, no half measures. Vote has been made. Out. Now the leave campaign must come good on its promises.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:22 pm

Think it would take something pretty drastic to justify another referendum. Europe caving on free movement and us basically getting our wishlist being one, which I can't see happening. The financial world falling over and everything going to absolute shit in the next two years being another, which I also can;t see happening.

Think we're gone, and rightly so (whilst also IMO wrongly so, but you catch my drift). It'll be choppy, we'll lose some business and some companies will leave, but we'll be reet eventually, if a bit poorer.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

No there won't. The EU have very categorically stated no renegotiation, please enact article 50 as soon as possible.

We're out. Simple as that. No renegotiation, no half measures. Vote has been made. Out. Now the leave campaign must come good on its promises.
I think we'll leave but if you think there won't be talks going on behind closed doors as we speak and continuing until we go you're off your head.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:25 pm

Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I think we'll leave but if you think there won't be talks going on behind closed doors as we speak and continuing until we go you're off your head.
Talks between who?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:39 pm

Our next PM (who let's not forget entered the fray by declaring he was voting out to stay in with better terms) and the EU.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:45 pm

Prufrock wrote:Our next PM (who let's not forget entered the fray by declaring he was voting out to stay in with better terms) and the EU.
Don't think that could possibly happen, given the identity of the next PM is presumed, but by no means a dead cert.

He's the favourite but then so was Heseltine once...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:49 pm

I don't think you understand how back-channels work!

And it will be Boris. Nailed on.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Oh well, that's Britain, Europe and some of my investments buggered for the foreseeable. Unlike Insano I am surprised at the result but it was basically done and dusted when I went to bed.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:58 pm

Prufrock wrote:I don't think you understand how back-channels work!

I think it will be contested. And I think it is likely Boris, but far from nailed on.

But if we assume it is Boris, there is no way he can backtrack and do anything other than enact Article 50 quickly and get us out and fulfill his leave campaign mandate.

If you're after some sort of compromise I suspect May (being a quiet remainer) is the only one who would dare tread that route. But yeah, we're out. The EU have very politely asked us to get a move on.

People must have what they want. And I see no reason to delay.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:06 pm

Boris can't backtrack? You are aware who we're talking about right?

I don't think he'll be able to do it, as I say he'd need to get huge concessions to justify another referendum, but penny to the pound he is asking the question.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:26 pm

The over-reaction of the Remainers is almost as disgusting as the result itself

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:46 pm

Prufrock wrote:I don't think you understand how back-channels work!

I thought you were giving up on predictions?

And, being someone who can claim a result on both the general election and the referendum, I look forward to the hat-trick when I predict that the Tories are going to tear themselves limb-from-limb after the fallout from this one.

Boris will win, and become the Tories' Ramsey Macdonald. Fetch the popcorn.
Last edited by Lord Kangana on Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Rjs37
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rjs37 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Well that's utter rubbish, we're not out at all. We've voted to leave yes but until we enact article 50 (and kick the 2 years off) we are very much still in the EU.
If we never enact article 50 then they (the EU) could do absolutely nothing about that. Once it's been enacted then it can only be stopped with the full backing of the other member states. And yes that we would never get.

Though as we've already found out today, Cameron has postponed the article 50 enactment until the new PM comes in, and the majority of the Conservatives campaigning for Brexit were saying weeks ago that they didn't want it enacting immediately - to give more time for negotiations.

I voted Brexit and I stand by that, but there will definitely be some talks going on over the next few months, to see if they can come up with a deal that would be enough to convince the public not proceed. It may (and probably will) come to nothing but they're (the EU) most certainly going to be trying.
Last edited by Rjs37 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.