Brexit or Britin

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Brexit or Britin

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:30 pm

I'm a little annoyed - a minor personal matter - that I recently spent a fairly large sum (over $200) to a new UK Euro passport valid for 10 years. If Britain pulls out it is no good. Will the government sent me a new allBrit one for free (and refund the cost of photos)? Will they issue 40 million new passports? This may have been answered by the Leavers, but I didn't notice anything. :evil:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:32 pm

So in summary

£18.2Bn extra a year for the NHS - as seen above promised by plenty of people including Tory ministers
£1.7-2Bn a year off gas and electricity prices - as reported in the Sun - again promised by Tory Cabinet ministers - Gove/Johnson
£2.4Bn-£3Bn that they promise the Farming industry would continue to get promised by the current farming minister - Eustice

So I'm at £22Bn against about half that, (£9.8Bn + farming subsidy coz I can't take it off twice) so call it £12.2Bn that we actually spend.

It's going to be really tough funding that lot.

Any more for any more?

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:35 pm

Worthy4England wrote:So in summary

£18.2Bn extra a year for the NHS - as seen above promised by plenty of people including Tory ministers
£1.7-2Bn a year off gas and electricity prices - as reported in the Sun - again promised by Tory Cabinet ministers - Gove/Johnson
£2.4Bn-£3Bn that they promise the Farming industry would continue to get promised by the current farming minister - Eustice

So I'm at £22Bn against about half that, (£9.8Bn + farming subsidy coz I can't take it off twice) so call it £12.2Bn that we actually spend.

Any more for any more?
Well, there's all the regions that voted leave seeking assurance that they'll continue to get the same funding from the UK government. Then all the spending from the EU on research. Probably another few billion there.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:37 pm

Prufrock wrote:I put a pound in the trolley I took home on Thursday coz, you know, I'm not carrying my shopping home. Took it back Friday and this came out:
Why would you put money in a shopping trolley? :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:41 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:I put a pound in the trolley I took home on Thursday coz, you know, I'm not carrying my shopping home. Took it back Friday and this came out:
To get it off the stack of shopping trolleys?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:45 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:I'm a little annoyed - a minor personal matter - that I recently spent a fairly large sum (over $200) to a new UK Euro passport valid for 10 years. If Britain pulls out it is no good. Will the government sent me a new allBrit one for free (and refund the cost of photos)? Will they issue 40 million new passports? This may have been answered by the Leavers, but I didn't notice anything. :evil:
You'll keep your nice new shiny passport and get a new snazzy British one when the other expires or you lose it. It will no doubt cost more, but that'll pay for the nice new tough border security types that'll be manning the battle stations to stop all those Europeans coming over.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:48 pm

Any more for any more?
You haven't accounted for the setting up/ramping up of agencies to take over the work that EU Agencies do on behalf of member states. No idea how much, but you'd best stick a billion in for starters. Big shiny offices cost lots you know.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:50 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
Beefheart wrote:

Any more for any more?
Well, there's all the regions that voted leave seeking assurance that they'll continue to get the same funding from the UK government. Then all the spending from the EU on research. Probably another few billion there.
My (pro Leave) friend who's been following this all with a microscope is saying that in the interim there's a vague promise from the Leave camp that all funding will be matched until it's all reviewed. Anecdotal, but just throwing it out there. I can try and ask for a source if desired.

Well if true, it's less of the money available for the NHS. Once you've promised nothing that the EU funded will lose out and the £350m figure was a complete fabrication anyway you suddenly find there's a lot money to play with than people were led to believe. Before factoring in the lost tax receipts from this impending recession. Bendy Bananas and Sovereignty are dead import though, so.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:58 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
:conf:

You just go and pull one off the stack. Well, you do by us anyway.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:03 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Presumably you live somewhere where the stack doesn't gradually move to outside some pikey's house or the nearest canal.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Clearly more upper crust where you are. :-) Round here, you have to put a quid into a release mechanism to get a trolley. You get the quid back, when you put it in the stack again.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:Economic sh1tstorm?? It's been less than 4 days of traders trying to make a fast buck wherever they can. Give it 2 weeks and the markets will be roughly back where they were, the pound will still float and all will be well(ish) with the world.

I don't see that the Brexit campaign are rowing back on promises as yet. No one said £350 million would go into the NHS and it's disingenuous to suggest that was the case. I'm sure that in time, the government of the day will invest more cash into the health service. I'm also sure that they will try to secure our borders and negotiate trade deals. I don't happen to think that in the meantime, the UK economy will collapse, millions will lose their jobs and there will be catastrophe.

If a few bankers leave, they leave. Weren't these the people who crashed the economy in 2008 through endless market manipulation and speculation? I thought folk would be cheering the removal trucks off.

The world will still turn, little will change. We will still end up with a London centric government, the regions may be a litte less ignored. I've just been paid and I notice I'm not 38 quid worse off this week. It's a good start.

Patience people, patience.
Be-have!

And you took this seriously did you?? My impression was that the government could allocate a part of that sum. Yes, the language suggests differently, but to be honest, I took it as pointless rhetoric. A bit like the stuff from Remain.

Hands up all those whose lives will be vastly different as a result of the refendum. Anyone?? Anyone at all?

Panic Fannies the lot of you! :mrgreen:
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:35 pm

No. It's one of a number of promises by Tories including those in government that they now need to deliver upon.

Remain will need to deliver on their stuff when they win the vote. As they didn't, this is rather moot.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Presumably you live somewhere where the stack doesn't gradually move to outside some pikey's house or the nearest canal.
You've started summat now. Apparently there's only me in our office whose local supermarket doesn't require a coin inserting in its trolleys. One of my colleagues, it transpires, even has a fake coin for this very purpose. Who the fecking Dickens might want to pinch a supermarket trolley anyway? :conf:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:48 pm

The trolley "pound" isn't designed to stop you stealing the trolley it is merely incentive to return your trolley to a trolley bay rather than just dumping it any old place in the car park that you feel like.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:50 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:And you took this seriously did you?? My impression was that the government could allocate a part of that sum. Yes, the language suggests differently, but to be honest, I took it as pointless rhetoric. A bit like the stuff from Remain.

Hands up all those whose lives will be vastly different as a result of the refendum. Anyone?? Anyone at all?

Well, as I said a few pages back, if we actually leave then I likely will be; the organisation I work for will earn less on EU/EC contracts as non-EU members which is where a lot of our work comes from, and we'll likely lose out on Euratom funding too; and my gf will too as her company will have increased costs from trade, which likely drive business away and lower their operating budgets. Both statements coming from senior management in our respective companies. Some companies are enacting hiring freezes too, I've read a few forum posts just today from people who have job offers/interviews cancelled due to hiring freezes coming in. And farmers are warning that food costs could increase, at least in the short term.

Respectfully, just because it's not affecting you personally (yet) doesn't mean it has been or is going to be ripple free. It's not the end of the world, but at the same time there's a lot of implications both current and upcoming due to the referendum.
Respectfully, just because a few farmers are saying that food prices might go up, a few people have had job offers delayed in the short term and some senior managers are intimating something might change, it doesn't mean an apocalypse is nigh. Yes, there will be short term unpredictability and uncertainty, but I still suspect little if anything will change, even if we do trigger Article 50. And let's face it, the moment they do trigger it, the doom merchants will be out in force again.

I remember eons ago walking to Burnden and seeing several blokes on the car park holding up placards on which were written, "The end is nigh" and "Repent your sins before it's too late". This feels a bit similar to be honest. In the intervening period, I've had a ball, whereas I suspect the blokes with the placards have probably felt too guilty/ridden with angst/filled with doom to enjoy themselves and get on with life.

Oh, and clearly Bruce hasn't walked by any canals or set foot on Johnson Fold/Mancroft Avenue recently!
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:The trolley "pound" isn't designed to stop you stealing the trolley it is merely incentive to return your trolley to a trolley bay rather than just dumping it any old place in the car park that you feel like.
It's a bit of both. Trollies cost a surprising amount to manufacture, and supermarkets lose a not insignificant bit of cash to them being nicked each year. As I said above it's costing them enough that they're actually looking into using technology like GPS enabled wheel locks and locators.
Right, but if I nick a trolley I have trolley and my pound.....so I'm up on the deal! :wink:

Rjs37
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rjs37 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:05 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:It's a bit of both. Trollies cost a surprising amount to manufacture, and supermarkets lose a not insignificant bit of cash to them being nicked each year. As I said above it's costing them enough that they're actually looking into using technology like GPS enabled wheel locks and locators.
Already been in place for years at Tesco in Bury. One of the wheels on the trolley lock up as soon as you take it past the perimeter. The poor sods still try and drag it on regardless, usually not far though.
BWFC_Insane wrote:Right, but if I nick a trolley I have trolley and my pound.....so I'm up on the deal! :wink:
Good luck getting that pound out of the trolley :wink:
Last edited by Rjs37 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:24 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:Economic sh1tstorm?? It's been less than 4 days of traders trying to make a fast buck wherever they can. Give it 2 weeks and the markets will be roughly back where they were, the pound will still float and all will be well(ish) with the world.

I don't see that the Brexit campaign are rowing back on promises as yet. No one said £350 million would go into the NHS and it's disingenuous to suggest that was the case. I'm sure that in time, the government of the day will invest more cash into the health service. I'm also sure that they will try to secure our borders and negotiate trade deals. I don't happen to think that in the meantime, the UK economy will collapse, millions will lose their jobs and there will be catastrophe.

If a few bankers leave, they leave. Weren't these the people who crashed the economy in 2008 through endless market manipulation and speculation? I thought folk would be cheering the removal trucks off.

The world will still turn, little will change. We will still end up with a London centric government, the regions may be a litte less ignored. I've just been paid and I notice I'm not 38 quid worse off this week. It's a good start.

Patience people, patience.
Be-have!

And you took this seriously did you?? My impression was that the government could allocate a part of that sum. Yes, the language suggests differently, but to be honest, I took it as pointless rhetoric. A bit like the stuff from Remain.

Not the best rebuttal, BB - you are on a sticky wicket. To state categorically no one said such and such, and then, when shown to be wrong, to say 'well no one took it seriously' or it was pointless rhetoric. Psychologically, Leave had an easier sell. They could state all the good things that would happen if the status quo changed whereas Remain were stuck with negativity stating the bad things that would happen. I suspect, when all is said and done, history will show the discourse of fear told fewer untruths than those sunny leavers.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:56 pm

So, Cameron has in Parliament today apparently condemned a series of "hate crimes against EU migrants in the aftermath of the referendum result". Was this reported, have I missed it?