Brexit or Britin

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Brexit or Britin

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:59 am

I'd stop predicting doom and gloom if it upset others. :P
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:01 am

Apparently the pound-euro rate jumped at the anoumcement that Boris wasn't going to stand. Make of that what you will.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:02 am

Hoboh wrote:I hope we can get suitable reform of the EU that will sort out this mess
Hoboh. I formally declare you a tree hugging, political elite loving, snowflake (which seems to be the new word you learned and enjoyed earlier this week). Just accept we're leaving. There will be no #Breversal.

I want us out, and I want us out now. Where's yer fcking democracy man?

I have printed this quote off, put it in a "WordArt" frame in MS Word, and it now sits proudly on my filing cabinet. Firmly affixed with Blu-tac.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:05 am

And also market stabilisation came with the anouncement of May as frontrunner... considered as a moderate by some. Perhaps not many on here, as I've discovered!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:10 am

Bijou Bob wrote:I'd stop predicting doom and gloom if it upset others. :P
What difference does it make what people predict? We're heading into an unprecedented boom with no downsides. A social and economic utopia where Britain is once great again and can fund an amazing NHS and superb public services and control immigration so that only very valuable people enter the country.

In short the good times are here now. Least that is what the leavers said. Can't wait. Surely only be a matter of days now.......

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:11 am

Lord Kangana wrote:And also market stabilisation came with the anouncement of May as frontrunner... considered as a moderate by some. Perhaps not many on here, as I've discovered!
Gove doesn't think we should bother with the single market does he? So if he gets traction the markets could get interesting....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:11 am

You're just pretending to cling on to youth. If you can't do proper grumpy middle-aged then yer no use to any bugger.

We've had 30 fecking years of the World is Going to End - from the Sun and its ilk. Not that anyone in News International would want to see anything other than monopolies stripped back to promote a better deal for Consumers - Oh no, Sir.

You'll be predicting doom and gloom, that first match in Barnstormers, when you have to stretch yer arms to reach folding stuff to put a pint on the bar. :mrgreen:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:22 am

Worthy4England wrote: Carney's outlook statement yesterday
Confirmed to me that the man's a penis, batting above his average. According to him we're going to have to print more money and interest rates are going to get even lower. :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:26 am

Is that not because of how heavily the housing market is leveraged? In laymens terms, we've all got f*ck off mortgages and inflation would reap untold damage to the housing market?

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:29 am

Worthy4England wrote:
You're just pretending to cling on to youth. If you can't do proper grumpy middle-aged then yer no use to any bugger.

We've had 30 fecking years of the World is Going to End - from the Sun and its ilk. Not that anyone in News International would want to see anything other than monopolies stripped back to promote a better deal for Consumers - Oh no, Sir.

You'll be predicting doom and gloom, that first match in Barnstormers, when you have to stretch yer arms to reach folding stuff to put a pint on the bar. :mrgreen:
I'm down wit da kids I tells ya. Fo shizzle. Init.

Rjs37
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rjs37 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:40 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
What difference does it make what people predict? We're heading into an unprecedented boom with no downsides. A social and economic utopia where Britain is once great again and can fund an amazing NHS and superb public services and control immigration so that only very valuable people enter the country.

In short the good times are here now. Least that is what the leavers said. Can't wait. Surely only be a matter of days now.......
Its called self fulfilling prophecies. Like when Robert Peston warned about Northern Rock needing support, which resulted in a run on the bank and at the very least expedited their collapse. He wasn't the root cause but he made the situation worse.

Obviously people need to be aware of the risks involved, but at the same time there's a difference between worrying people/scare mongering and keeping people informed.

For example, when the stock markets fell on Friday/Monday it was an absolute disaster, proof that leaving was a mistake and that we're going to in recession for years to come. Then when it goes back up again (ftse 100 now at a 10 month high), those same people then warn that it's probably just a dead cat bounce (their term) and that it's still going to be a disaster.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:42 am

It's bounced back because the leave rhetoric and position have become more moderate!

Rjs37
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rjs37 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:47 am

I don't agree with that opinion, but regardless of why it went up, the doom and gloom brigade still downplayed it as a minor blip and against the norm.

Whereas the decline was proof of what they had predicted. Is that not a little hypocritical?

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:01 am

Rjs37 wrote:I don't agree with that opinion, but regardless of why it went up, the doom and gloom brigade still downplayed it as a minor blip and against the norm.

Whereas the decline was proof of what they had predicted. Is that not a little hypocritical?
Ah no, you see you've got it COMPLETELY wrong there Rjs. The FTSE100 is not an accurate measure of anything. Oh no. What really counts these days is the FTSE 250. That's the one we should all be looking at, despite not many folk having heard it quoted anytime in the last century, before Monday this week.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:08 am

Lord Kangana wrote:Is that not because of how heavily the housing market is leveraged? In laymens terms, we've all got f*ck off mortgages and inflation would reap untold damage to the housing market?
Well, my mortgage payments are roughly around a half of what I'd have to pay to rent my house, and if the price of it rockets then I'll achieve my goal that by the age of 60 I'll be working part time at my local supermarket without a care in the world. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Rjs37
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rjs37 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:14 am

Bijou Bob wrote:
Rjs37 wrote:I don't agree with that opinion, but regardless of why it went up, the doom and gloom brigade still downplayed it as a minor blip and against the norm.

Ah no, you see you've got it COMPLETELY wrong there Rjs. The FTSE100 is not an accurate measure of anything. Oh no. What really counts these days is the FTSE 250. That's the one we should all be looking at, despite not many folk having heard it quoted anytime in the last century, before Monday this week.
I've actually been looking at both :). Doom and gloomers were using both as evidence of the inbound recession, so I've been checking on both since. FTSE 250 has recovered just over half of what it lost so far (though it is down so far today) and it recovered just fine from a similar low back in February. But yeah until last week I'd never even heard of it being used to judge the economic outlook.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:22 am

Whats gone up? The market responds to market conditions. So on Friday when there was loads of uncertainty, the market tanked. This week, as a sembelance of maturity returns to the discussion, the market stabilises.

I fail to see whats hypocritical about that, or indeed out of step with any of the previous warnings?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:27 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Is that not because of how heavily the housing market is leveraged? In laymens terms, we've all got f*ck off mortgages and inflation would reap untold damage to the housing market?
Well, my mortgage payments are roughly around a half of what I'd have to pay to rent my house, and if the price of it rockets then I'll achieve my goal that by the age of 60 I'll be working part time at my local supermarket without a care in the world. :)
TBH, our fixed term is coming to an end soon, so I'm hoping this goes in our favour - we're furiously paying it off to get down below the next % threshold. No doubt some bastard will come along and change all that in the intervening months!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:53 am

Bijou Bob wrote:

The 100 is largely made up of multi-nationals and companies whose trade has less dependence on the local market. The 250 has a greater proportion of companies dependant on local trading conditions. Much easier for Glaxosmithkline to ride problems in the UK economy than say the UK's largest stationary supplier. Hence why the 250 is considered the better bell weather for the economy that the 100. The 100 is oft mentioned because that has the 'sexier companies'. just like 90% of football coverage is the Premiership and 9% Championship and 1% Football League.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:04 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
:D