The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Leadsom to quit the race according to the BBC. So does that mean we get May by default? Our next PM won't even be decided by a vote of Tory members?
To be fair though it's going to be May whether it goes to a vote or not. This just saves a lot of fannying about.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:22 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Leadsom to quit the race according to the BBC. So does that mean we get May by default? Our next PM won't even be decided by a vote of Tory members?
To be fair though it's going to be May whether it goes to a vote or not. This just saves a lot of fannying about.
Hmm. Not sure it was 100% nailed on. Very likely. But Leadsom did have some support across the membership. And see what happened with Corbyn, for example....

I still think to not even have a party membership vote on this, in the current climate, feels a little like a weak mandate. Especially as there is no effective opposition to challenge anything.

Rjs37
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rjs37 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:25 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Angles Eagles will announce her leadership bid on Monday. Gawd help us. As an aside, if you tell a journo your going to announce your leadership bid, haven't you, in fact, announced it?
Replacing one unelectable leader with another. Well played Labour. I hope for their sake that they find someone else more suitable.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Hmm. Not sure it was 100% nailed on. Very likely. But Leadsom did have some support across the membership. And see what happened with Corbyn, for example....

I still think to not even have a party membership vote on this, in the current climate, feels a little like a weak mandate. Especially as there is no effective opposition to challenge anything.
Well, Mrs Leadsom will just have to go back to her career as a pioneering astronaut :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

At least we won't have the spectacle of Jabbott the hut accusing Eagles of 'the empire strikes back' tactics

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:34 pm

Labour calls for a general election

Labour is calling for an election. This is from Jon Trickett, Labour’s election coordinator and a member of the shadow cabinet.

It now looks likely that we are about to have the coronation of a new Conservative prime minister.

It is crucial, given the instability caused by the Brexit vote, that the country has a democratically elected prime minister. I am now putting the whole of the party on a general election footing. It is time for the Labour party to unite and ensure the millions of people in the country left behind by the Tories’ failed economic policies, have the opportunity to elect a Labour government.

It might not be the best time for Trickett to call upon the party to unite. Six minutes after Trickett’s statement arrived in my inbox, another email arrived from Labour’s general secretary, Iain McNicol, confirming that there would be a leadership contest. He said:

I have now received sufficient nominations to trigger a contest for the position of Leader of the Labour party.

I will now ask the chair of the national executive committee to convene a meeting to confirm arrangements for an election.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:40 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
Hoboh wrote:Labour calls for a general election

Labour is calling for an election. This is from Jon Trickett, Labour’s election coordinator and a member of the shadow cabinet.
I've got to say, I agree with them. A new tory leader and PM without even the party membership voting, and no party having a manifesto related to the actual process of leaving the EU (at least beyond a referendum). Morally and democratically at least, there needs to be a snap election, but I'm sure May said a few weeks back that if she were to become PM there would not be one.
Missed the bit about no Labour leader to enter a general election?

Politics is like a Keith Lemmon show at the moment :lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:53 pm

Labour calling for a GE is like a Turkey asking for Christmas day to be brought forward to next week.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:50 pm

I suspect it wouldn't just be labour who would lose. Volatile times.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:03 pm

We sort of keep coming back to the same place in relation to general election. Tory party manifesto pledged a referendum, and the GE doesn't actually elect a PM, it elects a MP's. Not sure the Tories have enough of a plan for what Brexit would look like, to put it to an electorate. I know May has said Brexit means Brexit, but she hasn't as far as I'm aware described what that might look like (or at least what she wants it to look like) in terms of "policy" on all those unanswered questions...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:06 pm

Rjs37 wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Angles Eagles will announce her leadership bid on Monday. Gawd help us. As an aside, if you tell a journo your going to announce your leadership bid, haven't you, in fact, announced it?
Replacing one unelectable leader with another. Well played Labour. I hope for their sake that they find someone else more suitable.
I agree. Tallest dwarf race at the moment.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:48 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
Hoboh wrote:Labour calls for a general election

I've got to say, I agree with them. A new tory leader and PM without even the party membership voting, and no party having a manifesto related to the actual process of leaving the EU (at least beyond a referendum). Morally and democratically at least, there needs to be a snap election, but I'm sure May said a few weeks back that if she were to become PM there would not be one.
I don't agree. John Major and Gordon Brown didnt call snap elections when they took on the pm role. Major won a leadership contest but Brown was unopposed iirc. Like it or not, the UK elected a Tory government. Who the leader is, is fairly irrelevant
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:08 pm

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:12 pm

Regardless, on balance, and I say this with a heavy heart, our country needs stability right now. Yet another destabilising event is not what we need. I can only hope tht May spoke with some sincerity earlier, because what she recognised as problems in our country have only been exacerbated by a government she served in.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:26 pm

I'm currently in Sonning, if anyone wants to send the hat round...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:37 pm

thebish wrote:Image
:lol:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:24 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Regardless, on balance, and I say this with a heavy heart, our country needs stability right now. Yet another destabilising event is not what we need. I can only hope tht May spoke with some sincerity earlier, because what she recognised as problems in our country have only been exacerbated by a government she served in.
I wouldn't be holding your breath...

The Independent wrote:When you cross-reference Theresa May's speech with her voting record, it's as if she didn't mean anything she said
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/the ... type=Email

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:03 am

So .... Eagles arranges a press conference to declare her candidacy.

As the journos gather word arrives that Leadsom is going to back out of the Tory one and the Eagles press desert her conference to go to the other (as it's not really news, as she's let it be known days ago).

... and she leaves to the news that Wallasey LP branch are going to seek a no-confidence vote & deselect her.

Corbyn yesterday said winning a General Election was not as important as "changing the way politics is done".

Bravo. I mean ... f'ng bra-vo !!

If this was 'The Thick of It' the script would be rejected.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:23 am

It's all fecked. Corbyn is shit and so is Eagles but it seems none of the rest of the spineless bunch of bastards are putting themselves forward.

I think the only way Corbyn has changed the way in which politics is done is by actively not trying to win.

The Tories had some infighting but they care enough about winning to put that behind them and now Theresa May is just gobbling up that centre ground.

Way to go Labour.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:24 am

bobo the clown wrote:So .... Eagles arranges a press conference to declare her candidacy.

As the journos gather word arrives that Leadsom is going to back out of the Tory one and the Eagles press desert her conference to go to the other (as it's not really news, as she's let it be known days ago).

... and she leaves to the news that Wallasey LP branch are going to seek a no-confidence vote & deselect her.

Corbyn yesterday said winning a General Election was not as important as "changing the way politics is done".

Bravo. I mean ... f'ng bra-vo !!

If this was 'The Thick of It' the script would be rejected.
Indeed. I've said this before, but Corbyn and his supporters and those who vote for him are voting for the Tory cuts. They are saying "we're fine having the Tories in power for the next decade or more". And when these people piss and moan about Tory policy, they need reminding that they voted DIRECTLY for that policy and are as responsible as any Tory voter out there.