The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:11 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Beefheart wrote:Kept with the 26 minute pace runner this morning. So over 30 seconds off my PB. Buzzing. Needed that after feeling demotivated the last few weeks. Achilles felt good too.
Well done Beefy. I was marshalling down by the river, ahead of the Bury 10k tomorrow. Having a lot of Achilles problems myself, which means i'm going to have to take it easy tomorrow and see how it goes.
Potential disaster ahead of tomorrow. I've landed awkwardly on my right knee whilst playing cricket and it's giving me a bit of jip. Hopefully nothing that a couple of painkillers can't sort out though.

Today's (ahem) 'whites'.

If I can run with a ruptured* Achilles....

* This may be a slight exaggeration

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:02 pm

Bury 10K done and dusted. BP took a nasty fall 100 yards from the finish line and now looks (even more) like Simon Weston, Genshaw clearly hid behind the fruit on Bury Market then popped up, completely unruffled, on the finish line, whereas I took enough painkillers to make sure that my knee didn't bother me but gave me acid indigestion all the way round instead. #toaman :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:16 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Bury 10K done and dusted. BP took a nasty fall 100 yards from the finish line and now looks (even more) like Simon Weston, Genshaw clearly hid behind the fruit on Bury Market then popped up, completely unruffled, on the finish line, whereas I took enough painkillers to make sure that my knee didn't bother me but gave me acid indigestion all the way round instead. #toaman :)
Simon Weston you feck*! No idea what happened. All I remember is trying and failing to plant my feet. That was just before I faceplanted on The Rock a mere 100 yards from the bloody finish! Still finished in 59:11 just beating my target.

A visit to A&E revealed a broken tooth and many cuts, grazes and bruises. Meh. It'll be reet! When is the next one?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Bury 10K done and dusted. BP took a nasty fall 100 yards from the finish line and now looks (even more) like Simon Weston, Genshaw clearly hid behind the fruit on Bury Market then popped up, completely unruffled, on the finish line, whereas I took enough painkillers to make sure that my knee didn't bother me but gave me acid indigestion all the way round instead. #toaman :)
:lol: still don't understand why he's had to block book sessions with LE's cousin for a facial injury? :?

Shocking injury but on the upside it meant there were more post race biscuits to be had #everycloud
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:14 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
:lol: still don't understand why he's had to block book sessions with LE's cousin for a facial injury? :?

Shocking injury but on the upside it meant there were more post race biscuits to be had #everycloud
You set of bastards! :lol: This was the aftermath. Some might say an improvement on the pre faceplant!
Attachments
Bury 10k.jpg
Bury 10k.jpg (8.75 KiB) Viewed 1805 times

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:02 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

You set of bastards! :lol: This was the aftermath. Some might say an improvement on the pre faceplant!

Ouch! Simon Weston? More like a full size Jay Spearing!

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:37 pm

Please tell me there's a gif out there of BP falling over repeatedly??
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:55 am

Bijou Bob wrote:Please tell me there's a gif out there of BP falling over repeatedly??
Tosser! TBH I'd love to see a clip of it just to see what happened. I keep replaying it in my mind, but can't figure out how the feck I fell! :roll:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:12 pm

No, no... it is a tricky bit of floor that... deceptively flat. :)

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:40 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:

Having seen some pictures it is strange how people don't confirm with mental images. I had always pictures you as looking like George Costanza for some reason, Harry, not a tall, willowy chap. :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:07 pm

^ :) I dont run in my specs Monty, so the similarity to George isn't what it could be!

6 miles over the moors tonight. Head torches are coming on sooner and its getting a lot cooler. Summer is definitely over
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:04 pm

Had a great day yesterday. Started with our monthly 'handicap' race which I did in 21.34 Not quite my pb but getting close. Will chip away at that over the next couple of months.

Then did a beer mile race round a 400m circuit. Had to down a bottle of Stella (urgh) before each lap and then sprint round the track. I finished 4th in 8.36

Went on to finish the remaining Stellas and a bottle of Prosecco before turning out in the evening for 40th birthday drinks.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:41 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:Had a great day yesterday. Started with our monthly 'handicap' race which I did in 21.34 Not quite my pb but getting close. Will chip away at that over the next couple of months.

Then did a beer mile race round a 400m circuit. Had to down a bottle of Stella (urgh) before each lap and then sprint round the track. I finished 4th in 8.36

Went on to finish the remaining Stellas and a bottle of Prosecco before turning out in the evening for 40th birthday drinks.
Oh, I can down a bottle of beer in 2-3 seconds. This sounds like my event.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:45 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:Had a great day yesterday. Started with our monthly 'handicap' race which I did in 21.34 Not quite my pb but getting close. Will chip away at that over the next couple of months.

Definitely worth having a crack at. Question is can you down 4 bottles and run 4 laps without puking? Not as easy as it sounds.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:10 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Beefheart wrote:

Definitely worth having a crack at. Question is can you down 4 bottles and run 4 laps without puking? Not as easy as it sounds.
Yeah, I imagine it wouldn't be even splits.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:44 pm

After a couple of weeks off - visitors etc. round, that hurt. A lot. And my tracker took me best part of 4K when I was only heading out to do 3. I'll need a block and fcking tackle to get me stood standing tomorrow.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:11 am

Staying with my brother and this fiancée in reading this weekend, so did the much flatter reading park run to knock a minute off my pb with 24:54 :D Then the Reading 10k so hopefully another PB.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:01 pm

Wasn't going to bother today as I'm full of a cold. Gave it a go anyway put pulled up on 2K struggling to breathe. :(

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:08 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Wasn't going to bother today as I'm full of a cold. Gave it a go anyway put pulled up on 2K struggling to breathe. :(
I'm with you there Brucie - managed 3k Tuesday/Wed/Thursday and nowt yesterday. Thursday was a struggle. I think I'm verging on manflu.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:22 pm

Beefheart wrote:Staying with my brother and this fiancée in reading this weekend, so did the much flatter reading park run to knock a minute off my pb with 24:54 :D Then the Reading 10k so hopefully another PB.

Nice work.