The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:33 am

Welcome to politics. Where have you been the last 40-odd years?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:37 am

Lord Kangana wrote:Welcome to politics. Where have you been the last 40-odd years?
Politics my bum, politics is the art of fudging the unfudgeable the remain camp seem intent on pushing any politics, democracy and the better interests of the country off a cliff.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:44 am

Hoboh wrote:Serious question to those intent on remain,

You lost a referendum

You went to court and obtained a ruling that article 50 could only be initiated by parliament, you lost,

Is it not about time the toys stopped coming out of the pram and everyone worked together to get a decent deal that suits all parties or are you going to continue screaming anti-democratic until you get your way?
It's not the leaving, I wish they'd just get on with it, it's a clueless pm and a largely incompetent brecht team I take issue with. Get on with it and either involve parliament have proper input or let the public decide on the deal. You know, trust the public etc etc...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:46 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

You lost a referendum

You went to court and obtained a ruling that article 50 could only be initiated by parliament, you lost,

Is it not about time the toys stopped coming out of the pram and everyone worked together to get a decent deal that suits all parties or are you going to continue screaming anti-democratic until you get your way?
It's not the leaving, I wish they'd just get on with it, it's a clueless pm and a largely incompetent brecht team I take issue with. Get on with it and either involve parliament have proper input or let the public decide on the deal. You know, trust the public etc etc...
THE most middle-class autocorrect I've ever seen!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:53 am

Prufrock wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

You lost a referendum

THE most middle-class autocorrect I've ever seen!
It wus the airport WiFi what dunnit :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:22 am

You lost a referendum

Strangely enough, the elected government is there to represent ALL the people of the United Kingdom, not just the ones that voted to leave. That's how it works (or should), they need to take into account what's best for 67 million people, not just 17 million that voted leave.

We should, as I've always maintained, get on with leaving, in line with the vote.

Our MP's have just voted to do that.

Quit your pissing and moaning snowflake.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:08 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

You lost a referendum

Why does everyone need to work together?

The leavers shat the bed, they can deal with the mess.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:13 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Welcome to politics. Where have you been the last 40-odd years?
Politics my bum, politics is the art of fudging the unfudgeable the remain camp seem intent on pushing any politics, democracy and the better interests of the country off a cliff.
Just remind me.

Stuart Wheeler (Brexiteer) took the UK Government to the High Court regarding the Lisbon Treaty? You know, bloke who donated £5m in on go to the Tory Party?
Lisbon Treaty hardly passed through Parliament unscathed - Not like the Brexiteers didn't do everything in their power to kybosh it - against the democratically elected Government of the day.
Maastricht Treaty - split down the middle on the No Confidence vote - 317-317 - when the result was declared (later found to be a miscount)

So suck it up. It's going to remain a fairly contentious debating point until after we're a long time dead.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:07 pm

Ken Clarke is one of the very best politicians around. Christ, if more had his integrity and honesty even in the face of ridicule and abuse from their own party politics would be a far, far better place.

Instead, creatures like Gove, May, 'Boris', Abbot and Corbyn are given the limelight.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:45 pm

Hmm. Isn't this sort of stuff exactly what the terrorists want?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 58691.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Ken Clarke is one of the very best politicians around. Christ, if more had his integrity and honesty even in the face of ridicule and abuse from their own party politics would be a far, far better place.

Instead, creatures like Corbyn are given the limelight.
One thing you cannot criticise Corbyn for is a lack of integrity and honesty
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Hmm. Isn't this sort of stuff exactly what the terrorists want?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 58691.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The views of some on the social right (as opposed to economic right) in this country and the USA are incredibly similar to many hardline Muslim views. Especially as you point out on the subjects of gender equality, LGBT rights and family etc....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:55 pm

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Ken Clarke is one of the very best politicians around. Christ, if more had his integrity and honesty even in the face of ridicule and abuse from their own party politics would be a far, far better place.

Instead, creatures like Corbyn are given the limelight.
One thing you cannot criticise Corbyn for is a lack of integrity and honesty
This would be Jeremy, who for a long time had discussed his view that Britain should leave the EU. Who then pretended to campaign for it to remain, then as soon as it was out, punish anyone in his party who said they still believed in remain?

That Jeremy Corbyn? Aye. Ok.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Hmm. Isn't this sort of stuff exactly what the terrorists want?

The views of some on the social right (as opposed to economic right) in this country and the USA are incredibly similar to many hardline Muslim views. Especially as you point out on the subjects of gender equality, LGBT rights and family etc....
A thought that I'd never once entertained until reading that article. I think you're spot on.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:27 pm

Trump condmening pre-marital sex :lol:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:46 pm

The draft order seeks to protect the tax-exempt status of organisations that propound those beliefs
Remember folks, always follow the money.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:10 pm

I'd like to thank all our Brexiteers for getting us all 14 weeks holiday. Just waiting on £350m a week for the NHS now.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:55 pm

Worthy4England wrote: Just waiting on £350m a week for the NHS now.
You keep banging that drum fella! :D

As I saw it 2 or 3 of the disparate Brexit groups said we paid out £350m each week to Europe. I remember the argument that net it was a lot less than that. The suggestion or pledge (?) was this could be better spent on the NHS amongst other places.

Did anyone, leavers or remainers, seriously think that once the Govt lost the vote they'd then take up this suggestion as policy? The only way it could be a valid criticism now, would be if the whole cabinet had resigned and been replaced with a wholly Brexit cabinet. Even then the criticism would be a tad premature - we ain't out yet!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:24 am

Always happy to help a fellow wanderer with memory loss. :-) There was one official Brexit group. Only one. As there was only one remain group. These were appointed as part of the referendum process.

If we believe Brexit should mean Brexit (and I do because that's what the vote said, then that's all well and good.

If then the argument is that we voted to end free movement (which we actually didn't) and which wasn't as far as I recall emblazoned on the side of their battle bus, then surely there's a stronger moral obligation to deliver the £350m to the NHS, that was?

I guess if not, then the only objective conclusion is that this government, which now has many of the prominent leave campaigners within it's cabinet shouldn't ever be trusted again.

And no, I didn't believe it. That shouldn't mean they should just get away with it. Lying tw@ts.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:56 am

Worthy4England wrote:Always happy to help a fellow wanderer with memory loss. :-) There was one official Brexit group. Only one. As there was only one remain group. These were appointed as part of the referendum process.

If we believe Brexit should mean Brexit (and I do because that's what the vote said, then that's all well and good.

If then the argument is that we voted to end free movement (which we actually didn't) and which wasn't as far as I recall emblazoned on the side of their battle bus, then surely there's a stronger moral obligation to deliver the £350m to the NHS, that was?

I guess if not, then the only objective conclusion is that this government, which now has many of the prominent leave campaigners within it's cabinet shouldn't ever be trusted again.

And no, I didn't believe it. That shouldn't mean they should just get away with it. Lying tw@ts.
Seems such a shame you cannot spare some of your ire about 'Lying tw@ts' on Georgie boy and the need for an emergency budget days after a leave vote, nor the fact war has not broken out aka Cameron.
Still, they were on the side of remain :lol: