Today I'm angry about.....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:15 pm

Oh gawd. I'm in a foreign pub. It's southern and dismal. Every fxcker in here is miserable.
Been standing at the bar with missus and in-law family, and a table became available. As you do we moved in... but, it being a shit hole the vacaters did not take their empties back to the bar (an unforgivable sin), but the dirty fxckers left behind snot drenched tissues on top of the table, and, much to my surprised disgust, an entire field of freshly chewed sticky, minty-smelling, vomit-inducing, mounds of chewing gum welded to the undersides of the table.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:22 pm

Bags for feckin life. I've got about 30 under the stairs now and got yet another today when I popped into home bargains.

If we're serious about recycling and shops are happy to charge for a bag why don't they offer large paper bags like you used to get in Chinese takeaways? Same cost, bio degradable if you have to chuck em in landfill and recycleable
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:12 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:22 pm
Bags for feckin life. I've got about 30 under the stairs now and got yet another today when I popped into home bargains.

If we're serious about recycling and shops are happy to charge for a bag why don't they offer large paper bags like you used to get in Chinese takeaways? Same cost, bio degradable if you have to chuck em in landfill and recycleable
They need bags for life to be reasonably durable as they have to replace them when brought back knackered. A paper bag, with only a few exceptions, count as a single use bag and are chargeable at at least 5p a go. As ever, the rules are well meaning but contain some daftness too.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:01 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:12 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:

They need bags for life to be reasonably durable as they have to replace them when brought back knackered. A paper bag, with only a few exceptions, count as a single use bag and are chargeable at at least 5p a go. As ever, the rules are well meaning but contain some daftness too.
I thin Harry is saying he keeps forgetting to take his bags for life so he is getting a large collection. he doesn't want them however durable. He would prefer a single use bag, preferable of paper and large, even if charged 5p. At least, that's how I read it.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:18 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:01 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

I thin Harry is saying he keeps forgetting to take his bags for life so he is getting a large collection. he doesn't want them however durable. He would prefer a single use bag, preferable of paper and large, even if charged 5p. At least, that's how I read it.
You're right Monty. I've no problem paying for a bag. I'd like it to be capable of recycling and bio degradable. In the supermarkets in the US they used to issue paper bags. Don't know if that's still the case? What do they do in Canada?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:35 pm

Re-using is significantly better for the environment than recycling. Stick your bag for life in your car or summat ;)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:07 pm

I too have a bag for life which hangs under the stairs - stuffed to bustin' with other bags for life :oops:
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:44 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:35 pm
Re-using is significantly better for the environment than recycling. Stick your bag for life in your car or summat ;)
Indeed, but I don’t think the ideas are sticking with the majority of the public. People are just spending the 5p for bags or 10p for bags for life every single time. It’s pointless. You see them in the supermarket all the time. Forget their bags...ok let’s buy more.

Paper bags would be the way forward. And have less packaging on food so the bags weigh less and don’t break.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:29 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:18 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:01 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

You're right Monty. I've no problem paying for a bag. I'd like it to be capable of recycling and bio degradable. In the supermarkets in the US they used to issue paper bags. Don't know if that's still the case? What do they do in Canada?
Times change. In the US and Canada, the supermarkets used to use large paper bags (before we had environmental concerns but lots of paper). Then they switched to plastic as it was cheaper. In the last 20 odd years environmental concerns have cropped up. So they started charging for plastic bags AND giving points for bringing your own cloth bags. I have a dozen or so of these cloth bags but, (Bruce as well as Harry), I keep them in the car so can always have them when at the grocers. Smaller stores just give you plastic bags with no questions. There is some legislation in Quebec to outlaw plastic bags though I think it is pending.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:26 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:44 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Indeed, but I don’t think the ideas are sticking with the majority of the public. People are just spending the 5p for bags or 10p for bags for life every single time. It’s pointless. You see them in the supermarket all the time. Forget their bags...ok let’s buy more.

Paper bags would be the way forward. And have less packaging on food so the bags weigh less and don’t break.
Charge more for them. If it becomes a choice between a Mars bar or crappy bag, folk will think on. Completely agree with the packaging. It's amazing how much of it is non-recylable. I saw the other day M&S were selling coffee beans in the usual type packaging, but with a partial card outer in order to repeat what's on the fecking packet. Wankers :evil: they should tax the feck out of excessive packaging.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:24 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

There were figures knocking about that something like 95% fewer were being sold which was something daft like a billion over a year.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:20 pm

One biodegradable, recyclable, paper bag requires twenty seven litres of water and enough electricity to power an average fridge for seventy seconds, and on average is transported 9,000 miles on its journey from tree to bag and the process of being recycled the average thrice that most 'recycled' materials go through.
Twenty billion bags are produced a week. Every week. If all those bags were big paper bags, despite the recycling aspect, we'd run out of forest in under two years.
AT is right, use a bag for life as it's meant to be used. The earth's population is too big even for paper bags... Just last week a tanker pulled up in Beirut filled brim to the rafters with bales of shopping bags for the shops of Damascus, Latakiah, Raqqua, et al. The world is addicted to shopping bags.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
And have less packaging on food
Polystyrene and cellophane packaging of fruit anyone? If only Mother Nature could have come up with some kinds of rinds and skins to protect the flesh eh? What a bugger.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:04 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Plastic bag usage is still way down since they brought it in. Even if everyone forgets bags for life every time they go shopping, most people probably don't bother to get a bag if they're just getting a couple of bits or buying lunch etc where they might've when they were free.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:08 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:55 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Polystyrene and cellophane packaging of fruit anyone? If only Mother Nature could have come up with some kinds of rinds and skins to protect the flesh eh? What a bugger.
I believe it was your good self who dug up that Roy Cropper response to the 5p plastic bags. I remembered it because I had a good laugh at it. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:09 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I've actually been looking into packaging etc as we're looking at returning to the UK and setting up a business. It really pisses me off that the major companies that could make a significant difference insist on using non-recyclable packaging. Waitrose use plastic to wrap their bog rolls that can't be recycled...WTF can't they use a recyclable plastic?

Worse still is coffee cups. You can buy compostable cups that take a matter of weeks to compost in the types of composters you use to dispose of food waste. It's not perfect, but it's better than recycling which even most coffee cups can't manage.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:59 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:09 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I've actually been looking into packaging etc as we're looking at returning to the UK and setting up a business. It really pisses me off that the major companies that could make a significant difference insist on using non-recyclable packaging. Waitrose use plastic to wrap their bog rolls that can't be recycled...WTF can't they use a recyclable plastic?

Worse still is coffee cups. You can buy compostable cups that take a matter of weeks to compost in the types of composters you use to dispose of food waste. It's not perfect, but it's better than recycling which even most coffee cups can't manage.
Over the past five years I/we've had to do a lot of work regarding our products coming into contact with food (non packaging, mainly migration figures and tests when in contact with various food acids), however, if I was looking at going into food packaging I'd currently be all over converting hemp seed. You may wish to have a little look into that, AT ;)

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:22 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:59 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:09 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Over the past five years I/we've had to do a lot of work regarding our products coming into contact with food (non packaging, mainly migration figures and tests when in contact with various food acids), however, if I was looking at going into food packaging I'd currently be all over converting hemp seed. You may wish to have a little look into that, AT ;)
Thanks for the tip :D We've a few irons in the fire and hopefully something will come off and I'll be back in time for summer...or at least before the summer weather hits here!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:32 pm

nice people in (quietish) pubs that not only allow but encourage their brats to stream kiddies programs/games on their fxcking loud tablets/smartphones.
Currently surrounded by not one or two, but three tosspot 'families', all semi-drowning out the background music, and just producing a really annoying high-pitched babble.

Oh great, and now one's been let loose on the fxcking piano...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:51 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:32 pm
tw*ts in (quietish) pubs that not only allow but encourage their brats to stream kiddies programs/games on their fxcking loud tablets/smartphones.
Currently surrounded by not one or two, but three tosspot 'families', all semi-drowning out the background music, and just producing a really annoying high-pitched babble.

Oh great, and now one's been let loose on the fxcking piano...
feck me, it's best if you just stay indoors. It's not other people being anti-social.. It's you.

Would you prefer it if they ran around screaming and shouting?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"