The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:37 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:21 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:16 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:48 am
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:46 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:44 am
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:29 am
KeyserSoze wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:51 am
Not sure whether you meant to reply to yourself again their, GtE, or whether we are now in performance art territory. :D
Deliberate this time...... :mrgreen:
So he says!

Anyway, 2 track meetings this week and I’ve done sod all training in 2 years. What could possibly go wrong?! :conf:

Today temperatures are due to hit 29 degrees down here. I think I might be a field event only athlete tonight. Way too hot for this fair weather runner!
Aren't you only running the length of a long jump track? :conf:
That is what I hope unless I get roped into the 4 x 400 relay team!

Got to teach the twins potential year 6 teacher next year how to triple jump too! He’s never done it before!!
Just a hop, skip and a jump, right? Easy, innit! :wink:
Alright Jonathon Edwards, I’ll put you down as guest athlete for the league next time you come down.

Cool. I’ll dust mi pumps off!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:12 pm

An underwhelming evening back at the track performance wise but had a lovely time (apart from the 4 x 400 relay which nearly finished me off). Discus ran late I so didn’t have a proper time to sort out a long jump run up and had to keep switching shoes and running between the two events. Was taking off miles behind the board so despite the fact I felt the actual jumps were ok the distances were crap. Some woman who probably weighed twice as much as I did threw nearly twice as far in the discus and shot! :shock:

So good to see people again though and life to feel a bit more normal. :D

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:00 pm

Forgot to mention, best bit of the evening was the guy on the door to the stadium who was convinced I was a non scorer as I ‘didn’t look old enough to be a vet’ :grin:

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:32 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:00 pm
Forgot to mention, best bit of the evening was the guy on the door to the stadium who was convinced I was a non scorer as I ‘didn’t look old enough to be a vet’ :grin:

Was he a little the worse for wear? 😉

Well done on getting out and competing. Rather you than me doing 400m in that heat though. 🥵

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:37 am

Late sunsets affording time to go for longer cycles after working from home. Yesterday was up Mott Street, a kind of *shrug* climb that given it's reputation I thought would be a bit more interesting, and finishing at High Beach in Epping Forest.

Pub and café not pictured behind me. Still a long ways to go from the running but glad I'm enjoying this lycra nonsense in the meantime. Gonna try a first 100km ride in a couple of weeks. Maybe down to Whitstable or somewhere I can find the sea and get some fish and chips
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:50 am

Love summer running. Exploring the paths around our village in South Leeds. I often get lost and mither dog walkers.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:21 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:50 am
Love summer running. Exploring the paths around our village in South Leeds. I often get lost and mither dog walkers.
Village? Are you from Little Lever?
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:39 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:21 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:50 am
Village? Are you from Little Lever?
How dare you. From da real deal. GL massive.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:30 pm

My friend has suggested we sack off our run tomorrow to celebrate her birthday this week with doughnuts instead, and who am I to deny a birthday girl? :conf: (Plus it’s going to rain)

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:20 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:30 pm
My friend has suggested we sack off our run tomorrow to celebrate her birthday this week with doughnuts instead, and who am I to deny a birthday girl? :conf: (Plus it’s going to rain)
Carb loading for a long weekend run! :mrgreen:

Physio again this morning, managed to run between 7kmph/10kmph for about eight minutes without tooooo much pain, which was good but still a bit :| given a) what I used to be able to do and b) how bloody hard it felt! Physio also gave me some pointers on technique to help my hamstrings, which brought back nightmares of track sessions with coaches bellowing at me to pick my knees up. Some things never change :D

He's happy with the progress, as am I, though still really miss the longer stuff, which will be a while. I might look to join my local club this week as I have the green light for slow runs from 1km to 2km, increasing distance slowly.

In the meantime, boxing saturday and sunday this weekend to get some endorphins and let out some steam.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:08 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:20 am
Gooner Girl wrote:

Physio again this morning, managed to run between 7kmph/10kmph for about eight minutes without tooooo much pain, which was good but still a bit :| given a) what I used to be able to do and b) how bloody hard it felt! Physio also gave me some pointers on technique to help my hamstrings, which brought back nightmares of track sessions with coaches bellowing at me to pick my knees up. Some things never change :D

He's happy with the progress, as am I, though still really miss the longer stuff, which will be a while. I might look to join my local club this week as I have the green light for slow runs from 1km to 2km, increasing distance slowly.

In the meantime, boxing saturday and sunday this weekend to get some endorphins and let out some steam.
I’ve got another athletics match Sunday. That’s the extent of my weekend exercise. Boxing sounds fun, I’d like to try that. My arms are really puny though :oops:

What’s your local club now? I think you should go for it!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:28 am

KeyserSoze wrote:

When I was around 12 years old, me and a schoolmate decided that we'd start boxing down at The Lads Club on Bark Street; beginners sessions were held on a Friday evening.

Before you actually got a chance to enter the shoddily assembled ring and box an opponent for the first time, you needed to have attended six training sessions; exercising, learning how to punch punchballs, pummel balls, all that sort of thing.

Anyway, my opportunity finally came. I entered the ring, touched gloves with my opponent and 'WHACK'. The next I remember was looking up at the fluorescent strip lights.

Suffice to say - I haven't worn a pair of boxing gloves from that moment to this. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:38 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:08 am
KeyserSoze wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

I’ve got another athletics match Sunday. That’s the extent of my weekend exercise. Boxing sounds fun, I’d like to try that. My arms are really puny though :oops:

I'd like to see that! :lol:

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:16 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

Good luck for Sunday! And too right, don't want to knacker yourself out before then. Call it a taper!

Boxing is great fun and I'd really recommend it. Great way to let out some steam and you don't need to go in the ring, just a few sessions on the bags is good enough. I found it really helpful in pushing me outside of my comfort zone in terms of training and shifting focus to strength over just purely cardio. Would recommend!

My local club now is Eton Manor. I definitely will join but I'm a way off being able to join 'properly' so to speak, so I'll ask now if I can come and bob along at the back for a few minutes. In the meantime I'm continuing my GtE tribute act and have joined a tri club so I can get some swimming/cycling with other folk while the running is on the sideline :roll:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:23 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:38 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

I'd like to see that! :lol:
:evil: Practice on you if you like!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:27 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:16 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

Good luck for Sunday! And too right, don't want to knacker yourself out before then. Call it a taper!

Boxing is great fun and I'd really recommend it. Great way to let out some steam and you don't need to go in the ring, just a few sessions on the bags is good enough. I found it really helpful in pushing me outside of my comfort zone in terms of training and shifting focus to strength over just purely cardio. Would recommend!

My local club now is Eton Manor. I definitely will join but I'm a way off being able to join 'properly' so to speak, so I'll ask now if I can come and bob along at the back for a few minutes. In the meantime I'm continuing my GtE tribute act and have joined a tri club so I can get some swimming/cycling with other folk while the running is on the sideline :roll:
Haha, yes tapering, that’s what I’m doing! :wink:

Yes, wouldn’t want to actually hit anyone (BP apart after the comment above! :evil: ) or be hit myself but bags or pads sound fun. I used to do pads with an old friend of mine who was a fitness trainer many years ago (quite fancied him so any excuse to get up close and personal tbh! :oops: )

Hard core joining both a tri and running club but why not?! Keeps your options open!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:35 pm

I once tapered for 3 years 😜
Wouldn't recommend it as a training tactic.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:23 pm

Sparring today for the first time ever! Top fun, however some important lessons learned about keeping a guard up. A rib on my right hand side took the brunt of the punishment and is not, I repeat not, very happy. Managed get some of my own in though so not a complete one sided affair.

Very fun, very friendly, but hoping it stops hurting to breathe soon 😄

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:35 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:28 am
KeyserSoze wrote:

When I was around 12 years old, me and a schoolmate decided that we'd start boxing down at The Lads Club on Bark Street; beginners sessions were held on a Friday evening.

Before you actually got a chance to enter the shoddily assembled ring and box an opponent for the first time, you needed to have attended six training sessions; exercising, learning how to punch punchballs, pummel balls, all that sort of thing.

Anyway, my opportunity finally came. I entered the ring, touched gloves with my opponent and 'WHACK'. The next I remember was looking up at the fluorescent strip lights.

Suffice to say - I haven't worn a pair of boxing gloves from that moment to this. :)
Did a bit of boxing at the Lad's Club. Started as a school holiday activity. Me and my brother went down. Unfortunatley we couldn'y afford the proper lessons after the holidays so we stopped. Got my picture in the paper though of me celebrating my 'win' (posed shot) over my prone brother. :mrgreen:

Unfortunately I'm too fecking technophobic to work out how to post pictures on here. :wink: :roll:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:57 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-57549653

What's folks opinions on this? I'm all for inclusivity and people being free to live their lives as they see fit, as I'm sure all the good folk on here are. I have to say this does leave me slightly uneasy though. If she's previously competed at a high level as a male, she's surely going to be way too strong for the other female entrants?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"