The Olympics

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Olympics

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:57 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:31 pm
Yeah he absolutely fecked it but that BBC interview was a disgrace
‘People want to understand what happened’. No we don’t. We just watched it. FFS.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:48 pm

Must be very few athletes as dominant in their respective disciplines as Rojas is in the women's triple jump. Absurd display, that.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:47 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:11 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:00 pm
Who tf is coaching the UK starts??
He's saying he got cramp in his calf so he "Just moved". I thought it was only me who jumps out of bed by that distance on getting calf cramp.
I'm sorry but I'm struggling to believe him.
As Denise Lewis just said, he should've stuck his hand up - he didn't.
I'm more inclined to agree with Michael Johnson that he tried to count the time rather than wait for the gun.
He was a way out of the blocks anyway.

I reckon he tried to guess the gun and it cost him. The "cramp" and moving was obviously invention as he was twenty yards down the track when he pulled up. Shame, but nobody to blame but himself. If memory serves they used to get one warning for a false start.?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:51 pm

Sprinting apart, a truly great day for the Brits all round. Max Whitlock and the B.M.X girl were phenomenal Great to see golf well covered, and and I'm loving the eventing where the horses are the stars. Great chance for two medals there tomorrow. Well done all.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:46 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:48 pm
Must be very few athletes as dominant in their respective disciplines as Rojas is in the women's triple jump. Absurd display, that.
And still I feel sorry for her that her third attempt was disqualified. Unbelievable display.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:20 pm

A horse has won a gold medal this morning, so that's another one :)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:56 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:20 pm
A horse has won a gold medal this morning, so that's another one :)
And a couple more in individual eventing and women's hockey. :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:21 pm

I see that Laurel Hubbard went out of the weightlifting due to her dodgy snatch.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:51 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:21 pm
I see that Laurel Hubbard went out of the weightlifting due to her dodgy snatch.
:mrgreen: Those women weight-lifters :shock: ..and a Brit woman has just won silver in the heavy class. :pray:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:07 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:21 pm
I shouldn't but :lol:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:20 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:13 am
Mental health wise, despite that strange rant earlier, we're only talking about Biles in terms of a once every four years Olympics (the likes of Osaka and Ben Stokes have been taking a break from sports that never really stop and don't have that scarcity).

And Simone Biles competes in a sport where, if you get one of the big ones wrong you genuinely could end up in a wheelchair for the rest of your life. Gymnastic experts (I'm not one :D) seemed to be able to tell from the last time she competed that she wasn't ok and she nearly f*cked up what could have been a really bad one.

All top level sport demands a level of mental toughness. I think a couple of steps forward we are making are a) divorcing the idea of not having that as somehow a moral falling or making them a "weak" human and b) recognising that it isn't a permanent state, sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. Simone Biles already has 5 Olympic golds, the idea she doesn't have mental strength or can't handle pressure is clearly nonsense.

On the injury side I thought the same thing when Murray pulled out. But having thought about it I think that, if you hit the qualifying criteria it's your spot, and while you should pull out if you're never going to make it, I think as long as you have a realistic shot, especially in sports where the Olympics is the once in every four years peak of the sport I can see why you'd try. DAS still ran 11 seconds and was something like 2 hundredths off making the final. She wasn't far off.
She’s got the twisties, hasn’t she? Which unlike depression, anxiety etc could actually make it dangerous for her to compete, so a slightly different, unusual MH issue.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:43 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:20 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:13 am
Mental health wise, despite that strange rant earlier, we're only talking about Biles in terms of a once every four years Olympics (the likes of Osaka and Ben Stokes have been taking a break from sports that never really stop and don't have that scarcity).

And Simone Biles competes in a sport where, if you get one of the big ones wrong you genuinely could end up in a wheelchair for the rest of your life. Gymnastic experts (I'm not one :D) seemed to be able to tell from the last time she competed that she wasn't ok and she nearly f*cked up what could have been a really bad one.

All top level sport demands a level of mental toughness. I think a couple of steps forward we are making are a) divorcing the idea of not having that as somehow a moral falling or making them a "weak" human and b) recognising that it isn't a permanent state, sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. Simone Biles already has 5 Olympic golds, the idea she doesn't have mental strength or can't handle pressure is clearly nonsense.

On the injury side I thought the same thing when Murray pulled out. But having thought about it I think that, if you hit the qualifying criteria it's your spot, and while you should pull out if you're never going to make it, I think as long as you have a realistic shot, especially in sports where the Olympics is the once in every four years peak of the sport I can see why you'd try. DAS still ran 11 seconds and was something like 2 hundredths off making the final. She wasn't far off.
She’s got the twisties, hasn’t she? Which unlike depression, anxiety etc could actually make it dangerous for her to compete, so a slightly different, unusual MH issue.

Yep. Similar to the yips in golf apparently, but a damn sight more dangerous.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:12 pm

On another note I really enjoyed the Mixed Relay Teams. Thought the sprint triathlon and the 4x100m swimming were brilliant.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:30 pm

That 400m hurdles men's final was ridiculous. Imagine smashing the old world record and finishing second :lol:
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:20 pm

Great day for the Brits with two golds on the water. Jason Kenny gets silver

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:51 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:20 pm
Great day for the Brits with two golds on the water. Jason Kenny gets gold again.
Jason Kenny was silver wasn’t it? In team sprint….

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:39 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:30 pm
That 400m hurdles men's final was ridiculous. Imagine smashing the old world record and finishing second :lol:
Would've won the 400m FLAT at the British Championships, apparently.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:51 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:20 pm
Great day for the Brits with two golds on the water. Jason Kenny gets gold again.
Jason Kenny was silver wasn’t it? In team sprint….
Aye, my error. Didn't see the actual race. Apologies.. I've altered it now.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:17 pm

Loved seeing Hodgkinson smash the 800 today. Silver!

And on another note…
Attachments
C8488C61-E6FC-403E-96C1-694284DEE5AA.jpeg
C8488C61-E6FC-403E-96C1-694284DEE5AA.jpeg (49.08 KiB) Viewed 1634 times

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:32 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:17 pm
Loved seeing Hodgkinson smash the 800 today. Silver!

Indeed, great run and a desrved medal. When does Laura Muir run?