The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:28 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:24 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:19 pm
Probably the one where people get to spend time enjoying themselves with their family. The one that got cancelled at 3 (?) days' notice last year.

Some people spend that time going to church and celebrating the birth of Jesus, which is nice for them. Others don't have still have a lovely important time anyway, which is nice for them too.
All fine and no argument (To my shame, I haven't been to church in years,- last time was Midnight Mass in Spain - preferring to deal with Head Office from home) and I wasn't particularly bringing religion into it although that's what the feast of Christmas is about, but rather who is saving Christmas and from what? . I don't really expect a sensible answer if the government are involved. Boris in a Santa Claus outfit with his little helpers would be just a jump too far.. :D
They are trying to ensure people have food. That's what they mean by 'saving Christmas'. As our supply lines have been decimated by Brexit and Covid there are genuine worries about a shortage of food - in fact we already see it as shelves are quite often far less full than they were. And many Turkey farmers as an example have warned about major issues in their supply chain - the latest CO2 shortage being another problem.
Right, thank you.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:46 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Probably the one where people get to spend time enjoying themselves with their family. The one that got cancelled at 3 (?) days' notice last year.

Some people spend that time going to church and celebrating the birth of Jesus, which is nice for them. Others don't have still have a lovely important time anyway, which is nice for them too.
All fine and no argument (To my shame, I haven't been to church in years,- last time was Midnight Mass in Spain - preferring to deal with Head Office from home) and I wasn't particularly bringing religion into it although that's what the feast of Christmas is about, but rather who is saving Christmas and from what? . I don't really expect a sensible answer if the government are involved. Boris in a Santa Claus outfit with his little helpers would be just a jump too far.. :D
Everyone works from home these days TD, even the big man :D

Four things worry me but I think it's mainly the first one of the below.

1) supply issues - probably a pandemic thing but exacerbated by Brexit. Food shortages etc.

2) power - I think it's unlikely we'll see blackouts but I don't think it's impossible.

3) Covid. Rates are still going up. Much more slowly which makes it more manageable but I don't think it's impossible we'll still have to have occasional lockdowns to squash it back down. After last year you'd think they'd do everything to avoid that being at Christmas and it's probably easier to plan now (though I think Winter makes it more likely the increase will, erm, increase.

4) the general cost of above, particularly 1) and 2). Evergy bills, food etc.

I think it's highly unlikely we'll end up where we were last year with families not able to have Christmas together. I don't think it's that unlikely it might end up being the second shittest Christmas for a long time.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:05 pm

On 3), I can't see them making the same mistake as last year, which went something like:

We not having a lockdown, we'll fight them on the beaches (blah, blah), despite the evidence.
We think we'll make it without lockdown (blah, blah) we're still trying to find them on the beaches, despite the evidence
Maybe we won't make it without lockdown, they're not on the beaches, that evidence isn't looking great
We'll do everything in our powers to say "Stop, you nasty virus" prior to Chrimbo, that'll surely work and cover other places than the beaches.
Oh shit, the evidence was right, if only we'd have done that circuit breaker that was suggested when we didn't want lockdown.
Lockdown. Empty beaches...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:18 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:46 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Everyone works from home these days TD, even the big man :D

Four things worry me but I think it's mainly the first one of the below.

1) supply issues - probably a pandemic thing but exacerbated by Brexit. Food shortages etc.

2) power - I think it's unlikely we'll see blackouts but I don't think it's impossible.

3) Covid. Rates are still going up. Much more slowly which makes it more manageable but I don't think it's impossible we'll still have to have occasional lockdowns to squash it back down. After last year you'd think they'd do everything to avoid that being at Christmas and it's probably easier to plan now (though I think Winter makes it more likely the increase will, erm, increase.

4) the general cost of above, particularly 1) and 2). Evergy bills, food etc.

I think it's highly unlikely we'll end up where we were last year with families not able to have Christmas together. I don't think it's that unlikely it might end up being the second shittest Christmas for a long time.
The biggest issue in supply chains right now is lack of lorry drivers and labour shortages. There aren’t supply issues in the EU. So I think it’s pretty clear the major issue is shortage of hauliers and labour.

Talking to haulage firms and the mess is quite serious. Drivers being poached for ridiculous sums and the knock on effects are hard to predict.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:18 pm
The biggest issue in supply chains right now is lack of lorry drivers and labour shortages. There aren’t supply issues in the EU. So I think it’s pretty clear the major issue is shortage of hauliers and labour.

Talking to haulage firms and the mess is quite serious. Drivers being poached for ridiculous sums and the knock on effects are hard to predict.
There aren't supply issues in Europe? I'd read that the lorry drivers shortage was a worldwide issue. Largely down to the perfect storm of older drivers retiring and no major country having trained and replaced enough of them. They were supposed to be 60000 drivers short in Germany alone.

This is in the US but is surely going to be replicated worldwide too

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58643717
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:53 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:56 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

There aren't supply issues in Europe? I'd read that the lorry drivers shortage was a worldwide issue. Largely down to the perfect storm of older drivers retiring and no major country having trained and replaced enough of them. They were supposed to be 60000 drivers short in Germany alone.

There is a long term problem with lorry drivers yes.

But right now we have the worst of it and are to my knowledge the only country in Europe with real supply chain issues due to two things Brexit and IR35 reform.

Many of our former EU drivers have packed up and gone back home for those reasons.

That’s against the longer term problem of losing drivers and not replacing them.

And it’s further exacerbated by a more difficult process importing into the UK etc etc and we all know why….

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:37 am

You might find that many drivers have packed up due to very very shitty working conditions. Same goes for some of the labour issues in food processing and depots. The thing has changed is the supply of cheap labour from the Eastern reaches of Europe. We either get Pritti to open them borders or we stop our obsession with cheap food and improve working conditions from field to store.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:58 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:37 am
You might find that many drivers have packed up due to very very shitty working conditions. Same goes for some of the labour issues in food processing and depots. The thing has changed is the supply of cheap labour from the Eastern reaches of Europe. We either get Pritti to open them borders or we stop our obsession with cheap food and improve working conditions from field to store.
I don't think the working conditions have become appreciably worse in the last 2 years for a lorry driver.

There are 2 things - 1 a long term lack of new lorry drivers coming through - for a variety of social and cultural reasons.

2) A specific phenomenon in the UK where a) as you say we've lost EU lorry drivers due to Brexit and b) IR35 reform means many can't make the same money as they did previously and have left the profession.

If you talk to a Haulage firm they'd say both Brexit and IR35 have decimated their supply of drivers and what's happened is the big boys have poached drivers for insane salaries - meaning smaller operations are then hit.

As for 'cheap food' obsession I'm not sure that isn't just a slogan. We're talking here about issues impacting on just about all food that requires supply, transportation or storage. The fact is that we centuries away from a 'farm shop economy' where food miles are significantly lower - and as it stands right now that's a pipe dream. In terms of food cost - that is already rising. But when you examine supply chains its unrealistic to just say 'pay more for food' to cover the shortages of labour we have since a) a great deal of that shortage isn't fixed by higher wages and b) even the areas it is the reality of passing that on to consumers is not a few pence here or there it effectively changes the demand/supply relationship entirely.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:47 am

I had to write to one of my Dutch accounts a couple of weeks ago regarding each of the supply issues we're currently facing and why our lead time to them has gone post-Brexit from four weeks to four months.

(To give you an abridged version of what we do - we bring in raw materials, chiefly from the far east though some from Europe, convert the raw materials into a product here in the UK, which we then export to fabricators throughout EMEA).

This is a paragraph on transport (which I guess is pretty much most of the above)

Transport

In the UK alone we now have a ‘perfect storm’ of elevated demand and reduced supply in our Haulage Sector

Due to Covid restrictions over the past year some 30,000 HGV Tests were cancelled. Although almost 1500 new HGV drivers are taking their test each week, qualified drivers are retiring at the rate of 1,000 per week (the average age of a UK Wagon Driver is 55, and the job is deemed ‘unappealing’ to younger generations with only 2% of drivers being under the age of 25 ) Subsequently, this means we have a huge logistical problem at the moment.
I believe (from a very close and reliable source) that Fed-Ex/TNT in the UK are currently offering drivers a £1,500 welcome and a rate of £30.00 per hour (currently the national UK minimum wage for those who are 23 and over is £8.91 per hour). This approach does absolutely nothing to ease the shortage, but I feel does highlight the severity of the situation.

Furthermore, due to the vagaries / inadequacies of our own HMRC’s documentation processing systems post Brexit, many European drivers are now refusing to enter the UK as it better pays them to stay delivering unhindered within mainland Europe.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:58 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
I don't think the working conditions have become appreciably worse in the last 2 years for a lorry driver.

There are 2 things - 1 a long term lack of new lorry drivers coming through - for a variety of social and cultural reasons.

2) A specific phenomenon in the UK where a) as you say we've lost EU lorry drivers due to Brexit and b) IR35 reform means many can't make the same money as they did previously and have left the profession.

If you talk to a Haulage firm they'd say both Brexit and IR35 have decimated their supply of drivers and what's happened is the big boys have poached drivers for insane salaries - meaning smaller operations are then hit.

As for 'cheap food' obsession I'm not sure that isn't just a slogan. We're talking here about issues impacting on just about all food that requires supply, transportation or storage. The fact is that we centuries away from a 'farm shop economy' where food miles are significantly lower - and as it stands right now that's a pipe dream. In terms of food cost - that is already rising. But when you examine supply chains its unrealistic to just say 'pay more for food' to cover the shortages of labour we have since a) a great deal of that shortage isn't fixed by higher wages and b) even the areas it is the reality of passing that on to consumers is not a few pence here or there it effectively changes the demand/supply relationship entirely.
But they have, or at least the ones I deal with on a daily basis. They are packing ever more on to their daily runs, meaning greater pressure to get deliveries completed within timelines skirting legal limits.

But the other things is that a lot of people have re-evaluated life in the last 18 months and a lot of people are questioning why they have put up with some things. Many have left industries because of this - there are easier jobs.

We have some of the cheapest food in Europe. That means various people in the chain are being screwed. From picking the food, making stuff, supplying it, moving it and storing it. How much is a tin of beans in Aldi or Lidl these days? No way is everyone being fairly recompensed in the field to cupboard chain there. The problem I see every day is that plenty of people think food should cost what it does in Aldi/Lidl et al. When they see it more realistically priced they think it is a rip off and get in their car and drive 3 hours to the nearest Aldi. The system is fcuked up.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:58 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:30 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

But they have, or at least the ones I deal with on a daily basis. They are packing ever more on to their daily runs, meaning greater pressure to get deliveries completed within timelines skirting legal limits.

But the other things is that a lot of people have re-evaluated life in the last 18 months and a lot of people are questioning why they have put up with some things. Many have left industries because of this - there are easier jobs.

We have some of the cheapest food in Europe. That means various people in the chain are being screwed. From picking the food, making stuff, supplying it, moving it and storing it. How much is a tin of beans in Aldi or Lidl these days? No way is everyone being fairly recompensed in the field to cupboard chain there. The problem I see every day is that plenty of people think food should cost what it does in Aldi/Lidl et al. When they see it more realistically priced they think it is a rip off and get in their car and drive 3 hours to the nearest Aldi. The system is fcuked up.
There are lots and lots of people who can't afford anything more than that.....

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:58 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:30 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

There are lots and lots of people who can't afford anything more than that.....
True, but many can and would rather spend their money on booze, fags, iphones, holidays etc etc. I'd much rather folk got paid properly so they could afford the real price of things, rather than relying on the underpaid to continually get shafted.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:33 am

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... s-centrica

Yeah so here we go. Private sector shuts gas storage facility in 2017 to save money - bottom line is what matters. People warn this is dangerous if we hit a supply/demand bottleneck in future. Government says 'nah we all good'......2021.....

Its the same story over and over and over again. The Private Sector makes decisions that might be sound business decisions but aren't made with the view of 'worst case scenario we NEED continuous supply'. Which is how the public sector has to think.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:07 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:56 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Bloc members are some 2.3m drivers short, but as they can go and work wherever, the richer nations like Germany, France, Holland etc aren't feeling the pinch quite as much, but there are certainly supply chain issues.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:56 pm

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:40 pm

Oven ready. £350m per week. Great innit?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:30 pm

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:47 pm

Meanwhile, closer to home.. 12% rise on electric and now 5% on council tax. Oh what a lovely war..Like the police first question in a murder investigation , "Who Benefits? :evil:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:05 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:47 pm
Meanwhile, closer to home.. 12% rise on electric and now 5% on council tax. Oh what a lovely war..Like the police first question in a murder investigation , "Who Benefits? :evil:
The cost of food, clothes, literally anything is going up.

If only we could somehow create a larger market that would ease supply chain pressures and spread the cost of production more widely to protect ourselves? Shame nobody ever thought of that....oh....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:31 am