creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:41 pm

I don't think it's fair to say they've "effectively found him guilty" of anything. The reason they have given, which seems fair to me, is that the racism story, and particular Yorkshire, is going to be discussed at length during the coverage and given he has been named in it (and the story had blown up and he's engaged) it would be a conflict to have him on when they need to discuss it. It's more like they've recused him.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:33 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:57 pm
So, the BBC has chosen to deselect Michael Vaughan from its Ashes coverage team.

It's not often I agree with Piers Morgan, but I'm inclined to here;

So let me get this straight … the BBC has effectively found
@MichaelVaughan
guilty of something he vehemently denies, but has no way to prove he didn’t do, after allegations from someone who spewed anti-Semitic slurs but hasn’t been banned by the BBC. How is this fair?
It’s a difficult one in that it’s such a big story and a lot of players including a current England World Cup wonder are accusing Vaughan of saying what he says he didn’t.

So it’s a tough one all round to handle. But given how embedded racism seems to have been in the club and Vaughan’s potential role and likelihood it will come up during coverage it probably was the only decision they could make.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:33 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:57 pm
So, the BBC has chosen to deselect Michael Vaughan from its Ashes coverage team.

It's not often I agree with Piers Morgan, but I'm inclined to here;

So let me get this straight … the BBC has effectively found
@MichaelVaughan
guilty of something he vehemently denies, but has no way to prove he didn’t do, after allegations from someone who spewed anti-Semitic slurs but hasn’t been banned by the BBC. How is this fair?
It’s a difficult one in that it’s such a big story and a lot of players including a current England World Cup wonder are accusing Vaughan of saying what he says he didn’t.

So it’s a tough one all round to handle. But given how embedded racism seems to have been in the club and Vaughan’s potential role and likelihood it will come up during coverage it probably was the only decision they could make.
We're also talking about a Club who wouldn't let anyone born outside the old county borders of Yorkshire, play for them, until 1992....(strangely that was to accommodate Vaughan)...hardly forward thinking.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:59 pm

Also, whilst considering our turmoil, I see Tim Paine has withdrawn his member from the Ashes, due to it being somewhat exhausted...

Cricket Tasmania pitched in with how badly treated he was, not that anyone denied he sent dick-pics around but given he was "exonerated" by a report into the matter....

Not just us needing to get our house in order, then.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:49 pm

8 days to the Ashes starting and only one warm-up match v England lions...All seems a bit bizarre - guess it's to do with COVID bubbles n the like. Could be a long 6 weeks...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:30 pm

1986 - last time we won at the Gabba.

Joe Root (c), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler (wkt), Haseeb Hameed, Jack Leach, Dawid Malan, Ollie Pope, Ollie Robinson, Ben Stokes, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood

12 man squad - one of Broad, Wood or Leach for the chop...

Not at all fancying our chances. They get in amongst this team at the top order, and it could set the tone.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:02 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:30 pm

Joe Root (c), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler (wkt), Haseeb Hameed, Jack Leach, Dawid Malan, Ollie Pope, Ollie Robinson, Ben Stokes, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood

Not at all fancying our chances. They get in amongst this team at the top order, and it could set the tone.
We're not surely going to try and play without a spinner?

I fear an absolute mullering in this match and the series.

You look down the batters there - Root - after that I would be surprised to see the rest skittled for under 20 each.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:02 pm

You look down the batters there - Root - after that I would be surprised to see the rest skittled for under 20 each.
What else is new. Don't you always? :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:00 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:37 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

What else is new. Don't you always? :wink:
No. I don't. I often might think we'll lose but..... I think this tour has the potential to be a humiliation though.

But I guess we go with absolutely zero expectations - has anyone credibly suggested we have a chance? So maybe we can surprise them.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:30 pm

We're not surely going to try and play without a spinner?

Possibly play without a spinner...remembering that Root has bowled something like 600 test overs :-)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:26 pm

Read a lot of counter-intuitive/interesting things today.

Firstly apparently height of release point has been more important than outright pace in Australia. So good that our only really quick bowler likely to play much had the lowest release point.

And apparently despite predictions the pink ball swings less than the red. So good that Jimmy has been rested for the day-nighter :D (though sounds like he had a knock anyway).

And apparently the Gabba is as close to the Oval as you get in Australia, and Pope averages 99 at the Oval (this may have been straw clutching :D )

With Archer I think this would have been close. Without, given we have one really quick bowler and he's skiddy and made of glass, I just don't think we've got the attack to consistently take 20 wickets. I'm not sure they're great shakes with the bat either (Smith, Labuschagne, Warner then..) but their attack is world class.

Not hopeful. But you never know. Wonder what Glenn has predicted.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:08 pm

I can't re-find that article on release height, to have another look. All I'll say is, historically in Australia, they seem to have a better release height than us! With our batting line up, Pope could beat his average and we'd still be out for 120. Surely no one would listen to the second highest fast bowling wicket taker of all time....(a fact I'd never tire of reminding him of) :-)

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:36 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:26 pm
Read a lot of counter-intuitive/interesting things today.

Firstly apparently height of release point has been more important than outright pace in Australia. So good that our only really quick bowler likely to play much had the lowest release point.

And apparently despite predictions the pink ball swings less than the red. So good that Jimmy has been rested for the day-nighter :D (though sounds like he had a knock anyway).

And apparently the Gabba is as close to the Oval as you get in Australia, and Pope averages 99 at the Oval (this may have been straw clutching :D )

With Archer I think this would have been close. Without, given we have one really quick bowler and he's skiddy and made of glass, I just don't think we've got the attack to consistently take 20 wickets. I'm not sure they're great shakes with the bat either (Smith, Labuschagne, Warner then..) but their attack is world class.

Not hopeful. But you never know. Wonder what Glenn has predicted.
Have you read Nathan Leaman and Ben Jones’ book Pru? I’m halfway through at the moment. Really good deep dive into statistical analysis and some interesting conclusions. The height of release fact is the sort of thing they’d cover, though 8 years ago we had the tall tour where we went with Tremlett and Boyd Rankin and that didn’t end well!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:36 pm

Blx. Just spotted it's on BT Sport

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:03 am

Fcuk me. 1st ball...

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:08 am

Leg stump half volley for God's sake...
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:22 am

Taxi for Malan

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:32 am

Procession in full flow...

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:56 am

Oh dear! Still, 7 wickets in hand.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:11 am

Whoops! - 29 for 4. The middle order needs to dig in.