General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:18 pm

Just read this in The Bolton News. https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/20 ... ng-centre/

I have a couple of what we called Pen Knives, one an American version of a Swiss Army Knife, with all sorts of tools on it, Knife, saw, screwdriver, bottle opener, even a pair of scissors. I bought it in Spain and used to carry it around as a useful tool but can't do that anymore because of the law. Is this a step too far or are we all classed as villains now?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:54 pm

Just a talking point:

To Christians (of which I am one) the two most important times of Year are Christmas and Easter. Bank Holidays (practically a joke these days as life steamrollers on regardless of times and dates ) surely it's now time to revert football matches back to Saturday and Tuesday at Easter time? Christmas (no date or time mentioned in The Bible) is mainly unaffected as matches are always on Boxing Day, but Easter is a movable feast day we work off where Good Friday falls to celebrate it.

You're as likely to get Christmas supermarket presents delivered by U.P.S / Amazon as Santa's sleigh these days; so much for tradition there, but at least football is left for the morrow.

The whole thing is quite complicated (if you want to know why read below and nothing is set in stone and mainly Church originated, (Jerusalem is actually two hours ahead of U.K, so One -o-clock and not three is the time of the death of Jesus). Point is, personally, I'd be much happier with Good Friday and Easter Monday being left alone in favour of Saturday/Tuesday as even non-religious folk would be mainly unaffected.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/200 ... eable.html

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:14 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:54 pm
Just a talking point:

To Christians (of which I am one) the two most important times of Year are Christmas and Easter. Bank Holidays (practically a joke these days as life steamrollers on regardless of times and dates ) surely it's now time to revert football matches back to Saturday and Tuesday at Easter time? Christmas (no date or time mentioned in The Bible) is mainly unaffected as matches are always on Boxing Day, but Easter is a movable feast day we work off where Good Friday falls to celebrate it.

You're as likely to get Christmas supermarket presents delivered by U.P.S / Amazon as Santa's sleigh these days; so much for tradition there, but at least football is left for the morrow.

The whole thing is quite complicated (if you want to know why read below and nothing is set in stone and mainly Church originated, (Jerusalem is actually two hours ahead of U.K, so One -o-clock and not three is the time of the death of Jesus). Point is, personally, I'd be much happier with Good Friday and Easter Monday being left alone in favour of Saturday/Tuesday as even non-religious folk would be mainly unaffected.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/200 ... eable.html
It’s two 3pm games. You can’t do that on a Tuesday. Kids can’t go to night matches in some cases.

So not really sure I’d want to move them. Easter games are great fun.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:15 pm

Yep. I'd much rather have it in the day.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:00 am

Just seen an add in the B.N for "Yorkshire Hand-made Pies. (Yeah, I know, but it just made me laugh. :lol:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu May 12, 2022 8:09 pm

Wagatha Christie case, pure entertainment.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 12, 2022 8:25 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 8:09 pm
Mr Sherborne said messages between the agent and the Sun journalist are now "lying at the bottom of the sea in Davy Jones' locker".

Mrs Vardy replied: "Who is Davy Jones?"

🤣🤣🤣

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri May 13, 2022 8:42 am

Hoboh wrote:
It really is! I hate that I'm enjoying it.

"If I'm being honest"
"I would hope you ARE being honest Mrs Vardy, seeing as you've sworn on oath and are sat in the courts' witness box"

:mrgreen:
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 13, 2022 9:45 am

boltonboris wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 8:42 am
Hoboh wrote:
It really is! I hate that I'm enjoying it.

"If I'm being honest"
"I would hope you ARE being honest Mrs Vardy, seeing as you've sworn on oath and are sat in the courts' witness box"

:mrgreen:
The pair of them are hardly doing themselves or their husbands (without whom, based on their intelligence levels shown they may well be stacking shelves in a super market )any favours are they? The only winners are the media who are having a proverbial picnic. On with the Motley.. :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 13, 2022 12:35 pm

Still not seen anything to beat Amber, yet....I mean we're seeing two thick people with too much money and time, talk bollocks, but with Amber we get some great acting too (in fact probably some of her best work)! :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 13, 2022 3:37 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 12:35 pm
Still not seen anything to beat Amber, yet....I mean we're seeing two thick people with too much money and time, talk bollocks, but with Amber we get some great acting too (in fact probably some of her best work)! :-)
I'm reckoning both Wayne Rooney and Jamie Vardie are feeling a bit sick of it all already. Might be wrong mind, but....

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon May 16, 2022 10:36 am

Worthy4England wrote:
:shock: :whack:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 16, 2022 12:52 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 9:45 am
The only winners are the media who are having a proverbial picnic.
Not at all, Tango. Both have even been advised by leading legal counsel not to let it get to court because the legal costs will by far outweigh any settlement payable. Imagine that? When lawyers themselves are advising you not to go ahead, then my, potentially, you've got one hellllll of a bill coming your way?!

Something I read yesterday which made me chortle - "If these two weren't so rich then they'd have settled it in a scrap outside Spoons at two in the morning, after a skin-full of Jaegerbombs. The fight only coming to an end when one of them has a tit pop out"! :lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon May 16, 2022 2:35 pm

Saw someone estimate around £1m in each in legal fees (which sounds ball-park to me) with Vardy getting £15-40k damages if she wins (no idea).

If you're successful you usually get an order for the other side to pay your costs, but no-one ever gets 100% of their costs awarded. Roughly 75% or so.

So if Rooney wins, she'd get about £750k from Vardy (so £250k down), or Vardy would get that plus damages if she wins

So the loser is going to be the best part of £2m down, and the *winner* £200-250k down.

Bonkers.

I have more sympathy for Rooney, in that the only way she could stop it going to court would be to admit liability and she clearly doesn't accept that. Vardy is the one who choose to bring the claim.

Cracking entertainment, mind. Checking Twitter for the day's court sketch of Wayne is the new Wordle.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 16, 2022 3:14 pm

I don't do Facebook and Twitter type stuff, but I had a look at the Daily Mail report online. A load of wallop, but this made me laugh from one poster:

"Wayne Rooney is morphing into James Robertson Justice." :lol:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue May 17, 2022 3:05 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 10:36 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Depp's lawyer is a tiger! Destroyed Amber yesterday over charitable donations and objected her lawyer into oblivion earlier. Something like 8 sustained objections in two minutes.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 17, 2022 6:48 pm

Avoiding the nonsense and reading the Daily Mail online report of the bit that matters, If Roy Hodgson did ask Wayne Rooney to speak to Jamie Vardy about his wife's behaviour, dicey topic though that is, that's a classic case of delegation. Hodgson, as manager, should have spoken to Vardy himself not passed the buck to Rooney.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 17, 2022 7:02 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 3:05 pm
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 10:36 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Depp's lawyer is a tiger! Destroyed Amber yesterday over charitable donations and objected her lawyer into oblivion earlier. Something like 8 sustained objections in two minutes.
Yeah that was quite funny....Especially when she drove her all the way to how much have you actually paid.... :-) It's great watching :-)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu May 19, 2022 12:27 pm

You will appreciate that whilst not being the legal professions biggest fan I thought Rooneys barrister was spot on and hilarious in his summing up.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu May 19, 2022 6:56 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 2:35 pm
Saw someone estimate around £1m in each in legal fees (which sounds ball-park to me) with Vardy getting £15-40k damages if she wins (no idea).

If you're successful you usually get an order for the other side to pay your costs, but no-one ever gets 100% of their costs awarded. Roughly 75% or so.

So if Rooney wins, she'd get about £750k from Vardy (so £250k down), or Vardy would get that plus damages if she wins

So the loser is going to be the best part of £2m down, and the *winner* £200-250k down.

Bonkers.

I have more sympathy for Rooney, in that the only way she could stop it going to court would be to admit liability and she clearly doesn't accept that. Vardy is the one who choose to bring the claim.

Cracking entertainment, mind. Checking Twitter for the day's court sketch of Wayne is the new Wordle.
Interesting breakdown. Seems harsh if, as seems likely, Vardy is found to be full of shit. Rooney had to defend herself, so what is the thinking behind making her foot some of the costs if she is found to be in the right?