The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:22 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:18 pm
We all pay tax (assume most folks on here) Hobes. I look at your opinions as being indicative of what you'd want your contribution to get spent on. That might be a different set of things that I want mine spent on.
It’s a fact that immigrants are a net benefit to the U.K. economy. So by reducing immigration all you are doing is making the country economically poorer. If you want the economic argument that’s the bottom line.

If we are to focus on economics and the drain on public services perhaps should instead reflect on how our taxes are spent rather than blaming folk who on average contribute more than they take.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:36 pm

I think if you check carefully what qualify as contributing as net benefits you might question the logic behind 'most.
On the tax Point, I'd rather it be spent sorting out the whole mass of growing problems in this country first and with ever growing homelessness you got to ask why these people are not priority for the £5 million a day hotel places?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:49 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:36 pm
I think if you check carefully what qualify as contributing as net benefits you might question the logic behind 'most.
On the tax Point, I'd rather it be spent sorting out the whole mass of growing problems in this country first and with ever growing homelessness you got to ask why these people are not priority for the £5 million a day hotel places?
Homeless. How many are you taking in? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:02 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:49 pm
Hoboh wrote:
So (he says sarcastically) you are happy for taxpayers money to be spent on boat people than the UK homeless? Fair enough.
Tax is for the health, education, infrastructure and welfare of the country's population first and foremost in my humble opinion, you are free of course to dip into your obviously fat wallet and give to charity if that floats your boat afterall the bosses of them deserve large salaries don't you think?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:18 pm

Worthy4England wrote:

No.need to. Well, not round here anyway as Andy Burnham's sorted it. He has sorted it, hasn't he? He promised he was going to. 😁
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:31 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:02 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
So (he says sarcastically) you are happy for taxpayers money to be spent on boat people than the UK homeless? Fair enough.
Tax is for the health, education, infrastructure and welfare of the country's population first and foremost in my humble opinion, you are free of course to dip into your obviously fat wallet and give to charity if that floats your boat afterall the bosses of them deserve large salaries don't you think?
I'm happy for some of my tax to help deal with overseas poverty and asylum, yes. I don't see our people and their people, just people...maybe if we stopped propping up personal wealth of a few with their offshore and low tax schemes, there'd be a bit more to go round...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:34 pm

Quote for the day:

More sense always originates from a bowl of porridge than ever does from a dish of devilled kidneys and quail eggs. (I just made that up with politicians in mind) :D

Amen. ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:41 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:31 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:02 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
I'm happy for some of my tax to help deal with overseas poverty and asylum, yes. I don't see our people and their people, just people...maybe if we stopped propping up personal wealth of a few with their offshore and low tax schemes, there'd be a bit more to go round...
Well said Worthy. It could just as easily be us in need of overseas aid and asylum. Yes costs are rising, and there is need here but the vast majority of us brits are among the richest few percent in the world with food on plates, roof over head, clothes to wear, education. It’s really all relative!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:43 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:41 pm

Well said Worthy. It could just as easily be us in need of overseas aid and asylum. Yes costs are rising, and there is need here but the vast majority of us brits are among the richest few percent in the world with food on plates, roof over head, clothes to wear, education. It’s really all relative!
Aye, G.G, but twas not always thus. Some of us can still remember egg powder, ration books, petrol coupons (for the few who could afford to own a car) patched clothes and mothers struggling to bring kids up while the menfolk were getting killed by the thousands in France etc. Lest we forget.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:41 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:43 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:

Aye, G.G, but twas not always thus. Some of us can still remember egg powder, ration books, petrol coupons (for the few who could afford to own a car) patched clothes and mothers struggling to bring kids up while the menfolk were getting killed by the thousands in France etc. Lest we forget.
I agree times have not always been so easy but not entirely sure what that’s got to do with what we can now give as a rich country to others less fortunate then ourselves?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:07 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:43 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:

The generation after the war enjoyed the largest relative rise in wealth of any generation ever. Their houses are now worth in some cases hundreds of times what they paid for them.

The generations following them now cannot afford to buy a house or in many cases eat or heat their rented homes.

The fact remains that somewhere in there we went very very wrong. The pursuit of greed and wealth for a small number of people who don’t actually contribute to society has probably fuelled most of our problems.

When you examine Reaganism/Thatcherism it really has been a complete and unmitigated disaster for the west. Unless you are in the top 1% able to continually make money in the financial markets often betting against your own country and steering its fortunes accordingly you are fcked.

The fact remains that we’ve allowed selfishness and greed and inequality to be dismissed as unimportant and allowed (right wing) politicians to get away with labelling any attempt at reducing inequality as some sort of terrible squashing of wealth. And hence it’s got steadily worse.

And then instead of examining what we’ve done to ourselves we let those same (right wing) politicians lie to us that it’s all the fault of foreigners.

It’s really not funny.

As worthy says let’s take some more refugees and let the bloody financial market speculators pay for it.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:28 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:07 pm

The generations following them now cannot afford to buy a house or in many cases eat or heat their rented homes.
It has to collapse, doesn't it?

Now, I hope this makes sense, it's a tad difficult to spell out on a forum, but bear with me please.

The now former Mrs Rioja and I bought our first house in 1988 - we'd both just turned 22. At the time we were only required to pay a tiny deposit and took out a first-time buyers mortgage for the rest based on 2.5 times our joint salaries. It left us absolutely skint but not me as skint as when we split up ;)

I've just had a look at what that house is worth now, and get this, if we occupy the same maths, deposit (allowing for inflation as per the BoE calculator) plus 2.5 x joint current salaries, current Morag and I could basically just about afford the same house today, and neither of us are still in our early 20s just setting out in life, I'm sure you understand.

Now, both Morag and I have our own houses now and a fair amount of equity in each, however, Morag also has a 20 year old son. How's he supposed to get on the property ladder when, if he was to buy the house that I bought when I was basically his age, him and any partner would need to earn what both his mother and I earn now?
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:43 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:28 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Now, I hope this makes sense, it's a tad difficult to spell out on a forum, but bear with me please.

The now former Mrs Rioja and I bought our first house in 1988 - we'd both just turned 22. At the time we were only required to pay a tiny deposit and took out a first-time buyers mortgage for the rest based on 2.5 times our joint salaries. It left us absolutely skint but not me as skint as when we split up ;)

I've just had a look at what that house is worth now, and get this, if we occupy the same maths, deposit (allowing for inflation as per the BoE calculator) plus 2.5 x joint current salaries, current Morag and I could basically just about afford the same house today, and neither of us are still in our early 20s just setting out in life, I'm sure you understand.

Now, both Morag and I have our own houses now and a fair amount of equity in each, however, Morag also has a 20 year old son. How's he supposed to get on the property ladder when, if he was to buy the house that I bought when I was basically his age, him and any partner would need to earn what both his mother and I earn now?
Well, quite. But add on top the need for a larger deposit, and the fact that he’s probably at some point having to spend a far larger portion of income on rent than I ever did for example at that age.

I despair when I hear the ‘oh stop buying Starbucks and having an iPhone’ brigade pipe up on house prices and mortgage availability. Because it’s utter drivel.

As for it crashing I’m sure it will but it’s a question of when and to what level and what goes with it. The supply and demand issue looks like not being resolved in my lifetime…which means we might only see it crash with the sort of world economic events we’d not want to see again in our lifetimes….feels like we are basically getting there anyway.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

The generation after the war enjoyed the largest relative rise in wealth of any generation ever. Their houses are now worth in some cases hundreds of times what they paid for them.

The fact remains that somewhere in there we went very very wrong. The pursuit of greed and wealth for a small number of people who don’t actually contribute to society has probably fuelled most of our problems.

When you examine Reaganism/Thatcherism it really has been a complete and unmitigated disaster for the west. Unless you are in the top 1% able to continually make money in the financial markets often betting against your own country and steering its fortunes accordingly you are fcked.

The fact remains that we’ve allowed selfishness and greed and inequality to be dismissed as unimportant and allowed (right wing) politicians to get away with labelling any attempt at reducing inequality as some sort of terrible squashing of wealth. And hence it’s got steadily worse.

And then instead of examining what we’ve done to ourselves we let those same (right wing) politicians lie to us that it’s all the fault of foreigners.

It’s really not funny.

As worthy says let’s take some more refugees and let the bloody financial market speculators pay for it.
Ref the above^^

Ref the bit in bold, most of those said house buyers are eiher passed on or eighty year old houses need so much spending on maintenance that many of them no longer exist.

Ref the rest:

If you substitute the word "we" ( as if "we" could affect any of it ) and replace it with "our respective governments" it may carry some weight. It's all very well to adopt a Robert Lindsay "Citizen Smith" soapbox attitude to it all from behind internet forums, but what's your solution to actually rectifying things apart from getting all red-faced and angry about it all ? The collective "we" doesn't even reach agreement amongst ourselves, as even the "opposition" government tells a sad tale of hundreds of years of a nation at war with itself, and where are we actually at right now?

Are you suggesting we should mount a "French Revolution" situation with good old Brittania having a change of heart and leading the peasants forth against the Monarchy? Forgive my apparent sarcasm, but who will actually change things is a manner that doesn't tear our sceptre'd Isle apart? What has the recent "blind leading the blind" Brexit vote actually proved and who could have predicted the extent of Covid, or now the Putin the Great madness war with Ukraine ? If I sound like I can offer a solution, then I'll dispel that right now. I haven't a clue, but if anyone can, then step forth the man/woman and do it. I can at least sympathise with the element that advises getting our own house in order, but again charity doesn't always begin at home.

The chances of a solution are slim, to say the least, but The Lord is mighty and hope springs eternal. At least I have that to cling to.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:43 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Well, quite. But add on top the need for a larger deposit, and the fact that he’s probably at some point having to spend a far larger portion of income on rent than I ever did for example at that age.

I despair when I hear the ‘oh stop buying Starbucks and having an iPhone’ brigade pipe up on house prices and mortgage availability. Because it’s utter drivel.

As for it crashing I’m sure it will but it’s a question of when and to what level and what goes with it. The supply and demand issue looks like not being resolved in my lifetime…which means we might only see it crash with the sort of world economic events we’d not want to see again in our lifetimes….feels like we are basically getting there anyway.
How much do you reckon it costs to build an average 3 bed house? Or a two bed? I reckon it's North of £160k for a 3 bed and probably slightly lower for a 2, oop North and you still need a plot to drop it on...unless someone starts selling them at a loss, flooding supply unlikely to help much...

I'm sure they'll come down, but don't think it'll solve the problem. Whilst an overall collapse might help a few get onto the property ladder, it would also throw a lot of people who'd stretched to enable that first move today, into negative equity. So you'd help some and hurt some. The closer the house prices tended towards affordable, the more would be hit by it. So I don't think that would solve the problem (It'd just move it elsewhere)...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:05 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:39 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

It’s really not funny.

Ref the above^^

Ref the bit in bold, most of those said house buyers are eiher passed on or eighty year old houses need so much spending on maintenance that many of them no longer exist.

Ref the rest:

If you substitute the word "we" ( as if "we" could affect any of it ) and replace it with "our respective governments" it may carry some weight. It's all very well to adopt a Robert Lindsay "Citizen Smith" soapbox attitude to it all from behind internet forums, but what's your solution to actually rectifying things apart from getting all red-faced and angry about it all ? The collective "we" doesn't even reach agreement amongst ourselves, as even the "opposition" government tells a sad tale of hundreds of years of a nation at war with itself, and where are we actually at right now?

Are you suggesting we should mount a "French Revolution" situation with good old Brittania having a change of heart and leading the peasants forth against the Monarchy? Forgive my apparent sarcasm, but who will actually change things is a manner that doesn't tear our sceptre'd Isle apart? What has the recent "blind leading the blind" Brexit vote actually proved and who could have predicted the extent of Covid, or now the Putin the Great madness war with Ukraine ? If I sound like I can offer a solution, then I'll dispel that right now. I haven't a clue, but if anyone can, then step forth the man/woman and do it. I can at least sympathise with the element that advises getting our own house in order, but again charity doesn't always begin at home.

The chances of a solution are slim, to say the least, but The Lord is mighty and hope springs eternal. At least I have that to cling to.
When I say we I reference society. Our politicians are a reflection of that. A symptom rather than a cause. Our media the same. At some point along the way we’ve allowed ourselves to become corrupted. The generation that fought the war were not like this. Not at all. The few still alive are appalled at what’s happened. But since then the baby boomers who were born post war and especially those who lived happily through the swinging sixties have gone a bit wrong somewhere. Not all. Not by any means. It just is sad to see.

When you ask who will actually change things I think you are right. However I would also say that scepticism is partly what fuels the problems. Somehow we need to suspend that and take a leap at some point.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:07 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:46 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:43 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

How much do you reckon it costs to build an average 3 bed house? Or a two bed? I reckon it's North of £160k for a 3 bed and probably slightly lower for a 2, oop North and you still need a plot to drop it on...unless someone starts selling them at a loss, flooding supply unlikely to help much...

I'm sure they'll come down, but don't think it'll solve the problem. Whilst an overall collapse might help a few get onto the property ladder, it would also throw a lot of people who'd stretched to enable that first move today, into negative equity. So you'd help some and hurt some. The closer the house prices tended towards affordable, the more would be hit by it. So I don't think that would solve the problem (It'd just move it elsewhere)...
Yeah all true. People who own their own house though being in negative equity isn’t as terrible in that they don’t have to move. They can stop seeing their house as an investment and just enjoy actually having a home.

It’s not great but…it would be far preferable to an earth shattering financial crash that I suspect we are seeing the early warning signs of now.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:56 am

For me I would be focussing on making a rental market that isn't as dysfunctional as the sales side. If and it is a big if, we had a rental market that was truly affordable and secure long term, then plenty of folk probably would be less interested in buying. If as a 20s/30s professional and I knew I could effectively rent a decent property at a sensible proportion of my income for life I'd be thinking twice about joining the hamster wheel of buying property. I'm not saying the same property rented for life, just that I could access secure, proper long term rentals.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:08 am

People have to move for all sorts of different reasons - they don't all drop anchor forever. I'm not sure how many people actually see their home as an investment, rather than just "their home"...I'm sure there are a few who do run up the ladder, buy a wreck, do it up, sell it on etc, but I suspect for most people, they just bought what they felt they could afford at the time, and that it's risen in value is more of a biproduct. Not poky, but when you bought yours, did you think this is going to make me 4% compound per annum (I know when we bought ours, I was a bit under the banner that "property is a decent investment", but I didn't do any serious maths around what that might entail)? I suspect that's the same for the majority of house owners.

The main problem we have is if I build a three bed and it costs me £200k, then a couple can probably manage it if they're both on average salary. But that belies all the regional differences. Much different in the South East than up North in the SE you can't build a three bed for £200k. One of the problems with the Govt's approach currently is that they're trying to "aim for a number" of new builds, but because of the outcry down south (and up North in fairness) of too many houses, their approach thus far has moved from build them where they're needed to "build more in Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham"...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:30 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:56 am
For me I would be focussing on making a rental market that isn't as dysfunctional as the sales side. If and it is a big if, we had a rental market that was truly affordable and secure long term, then plenty of folk probably would be less interested in buying. If as a 20s/30s professional and I knew I could effectively rent a decent property at a sensible proportion of my income for life I'd be thinking twice about joining the hamster wheel of buying property. I'm not saying the same property rented for life, just that I could access secure, proper long term rentals.
There's a number bandied around that some 5.2m people in the UK have multiple properties in the rental market - that could of course be 2 or higher. I think the problem is closer to this group than the folks who "just own a house"...

I also think we should be bringing in policy that caps rent (alongside obligations to maintain standards) etc. (but free marketeers ain't going to buy that any time soon)