The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:40 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:08 am
People have to move for all sorts of different reasons - they don't all drop anchor forever. I'm not sure how many people actually see their home as an investment, rather than just "their home"...I'm sure there are a few who do run up the ladder, buy a wreck, do it up, sell it on etc, but I suspect for most people, they just bought what they felt they could afford at the time, and that it's risen in value is more of a biproduct. Not poky, but when you bought yours, did you think this is going to make me 4% compound per annum (I know when we bought ours, I was a bit under the banner that "property is a decent investment", but I didn't do any serious maths around what that might entail)? I suspect that's the same for the majority of house owners.

The main problem we have is if I build a three bed and it costs me £200k, then a couple can probably manage it if they're both on average salary. But that belies all the regional differences. Much different in the South East than up North in the SE you can't build a three bed for £200k. One of the problems with the Govt's approach currently is that they're trying to "aim for a number" of new builds, but because of the outcry down south (and up North in fairness) of too many houses, their approach thus far has moved from build them where they're needed to "build more in Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham"...
I suppose my point is that it’s more a problem that people can’t start on the ladder than those on the ladder losing a little bit or being a bit stuck.

I get that one follows the other and obviously ideally we’d solve both. I’m not sure we can.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:41 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:56 am
For me I would be focussing on making a rental market that isn't as dysfunctional as the sales side. If and it is a big if, we had a rental market that was truly affordable and secure long term, then plenty of folk probably would be less interested in buying. If as a 20s/30s professional and I knew I could effectively rent a decent property at a sensible proportion of my income for life I'd be thinking twice about joining the hamster wheel of buying property. I'm not saying the same property rented for life, just that I could access secure, proper long term rentals.
I agree entirely we need to ditch the home ownership obsession. The problem I see though is I don’t know how that’s achievable. As wealth is more and more concentrated into the upper echelons there is no means to exert any control on rental prices beyond satiating the demand which comes back to building more….

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:56 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:41 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
For me I would be focussing on making a rental market that isn't as dysfunctional as the sales side. If and it is a big if, we had a rental market that was truly affordable and secure long term, then plenty of folk probably would be less interested in buying. If as a 20s/30s professional and I knew I could effectively rent a decent property at a sensible proportion of my income for life I'd be thinking twice about joining the hamster wheel of buying property. I'm not saying the same property rented for life, just that I could access secure, proper long term rentals.
I agree entirely we need to ditch the home ownership obsession. The problem I see though is I don’t know how that’s achievable. As wealth is more and more concentrated into the upper echelons there is no means to exert any control on rental prices beyond satiating the demand which comes back to building more….
You're thinking like a free market economist...They could cap rents people could charge. Then the 5.2m people who own more than one home have a pick. They can determine it's not worth it and release the property to the market (which given the average number of property transactions is 800k per annum would effectively "flood", or they can keep it with a capped rent...

Of course they won't do that. But they could.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:10 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:56 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:41 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
You're thinking like a free market economist...They could cap rents people could charge. Then the 5.2m people who own more than one home have a pick. They can determine it's not worth it and release the property to the market (which given the average number of property transactions is 800k per annum would effectively "flood", or they can keep it with a capped rent...

Of course they won't do that. But they could.
Oh absolutely. They should do that. It’s just that nobody is going to. If as a nation we are too scared to cap energy prices (an actual cap not the nonsense we have now) then there is no way they will have an effective rent cap.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:13 am

But no one is going to flood the supply side either :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:55 pm

I see Nadine Dorries has once again embarrassed herself today. She makes Diane Abbott look like a Mensa member.

Seriously how did we end up with this parade of over promoted, self indulgent, authoritarian, tolers?

What have we done to deserve this?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:55 pm
I see Nadine Dorries has once again embarrassed herself today. She makes Diane Abbott look like a Mensa member.

Seriously how did we end up with this parade of over promoted, self indulgent, authoritarian, tolers?

What have we done to deserve this?
'Some rise by sin and some by virtue fall" Shakespeare's play Measure for Measure. Not sure there's much virtue in politics, but still, the motto wold look good over the House of Lord's entrance. ....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:00 pm

So we are now at a point where a known ‘sex pest’ (alleged) is given a government role inspite of warnings to the PM that he’s an (alleged) sex pest and this story is just a footnote in the governments disgrace.

This story alone would probably bring down most former pms. Let alone everything else.

But with this government it’s just another minor footnote in a long list of appalling behaviour.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:16 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:00 pm
So we are now at a point where a known ‘sex pest’ (alleged) is given a government role inspite of warnings to the PM that he’s an (alleged) sex pest and this story is just a footnote in the governments disgrace.

This story alone would probably bring down most former pms. Let alone everything else.

But with this government it’s just another minor footnote in a long list of appalling behaviour.
Where there is money and favour principles fly out the window in more cases than ever now.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:56 pm

That should be that. Next.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:31 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:56 pm
Got a feel of Hitlers last days in the bunker. It’s just a question of whether he shoots Eva…sorry Carrie or she shoot’s him first. If possible both at the same time. Cheers.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:31 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Got a feel of Hitlers last days in the bunker. It’s just a question of whether he shoots Eva…sorry Carrie or she shoot’s him first. If possible both at the same time. Cheers.
Mention that name, topic closed. That was the rule.....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:56 am

They're falling like ninepins.

Just wish they'd had the bollox to do it before the VoC.

PMQs should be lively 😁
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:25 am

I think it's going to be interesting from here. I listened to JRM yesterday after the event, basically he was trying to say everyone in the general populace is voting for the PM a la President elections, (not the party)...Not being of my persuasion, I would assume that some voted for Boris, some voted for oven ready turkey's, some voted for the Tory party and some voted "not Labour" - I'm plenty doubtful the vote Boris number was at the top of that list.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:40 am

Worryingly, there's only Nadine and Priti running the country....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:38 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:25 am
I think it's going to be interesting from here. I listened to JRM yesterday after the event, basically he was trying to say everyone in the general populace is voting for the PM a la President elections, (not the party)...Not being of my persuasion, I would assume that some voted for Boris, some voted for oven ready turkey's, some voted for the Tory party and some voted "not Labour" - I'm plenty doubtful the vote Boris number was at the top of that list.
Mine was for 'not Corbyn'.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:52 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:38 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Yeah - I think there were quite a lot of those, including mine (although mine didn't go to the Tories either :-) )

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:58 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:38 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Ironically Corbyn would have lasted under 6 months as pm before being forced out one way or another and done infinitely less damage to the country than this government have managed.

Back to the old Cameron line ‘stability with me or chaos with a Labour SNP coalition’ look how that’s gone. Unmitigated chaos and corruption since.

The Tories need to learn some humility in opposition in my view.

I do not agree with him a lot but I hope for all our sakes Sunak can win a leadership contest because at least I believe he’s serious and competent. And we need two years of that desperately. I’m not holding my breath though.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:31 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Expectations that Zahawi will be the chancellor for the shortest time in history. By my reckoning that makes him Admiral Doenitz :D

21 resignations in under 24 hours. He surely cant survive this?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:58 pm
I hope for all our sakes Sunak can win a leadership contest because at least I believe he’s serious and competent. And we need two years of that desperately. I’m not holding my breath though.
100% where I am.