Tennis, anyone.....?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Will Andy Murray ever win a Grand Slam?

He will never ever win, lot's of runner ups though.
31%
He should at least get 1, surely!!!
31%
He will come good, winning a few!
23%
He will have bagel set wins many a time!
No votes
He should do doubles, at least then he has a chance!
15%

Total votes: 39

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Tennis, anyone.....?

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:14 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:44 pm
Wouldn't totally surprise me if neither Rafa or Djokavic got to win this year. Neither seem quite on top of their games or the opposition is fiercer. Rafa in particular seemed really edgy yesterday and Djokavic is a set down already. More than a few surprises this year.

Edit? and trailing 5-2 in the second set. :shock:....and goes two sets down to Sinner.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:41 pm

I did wonder at the mid-point of the third set as to - I wonder if this is now the tipping point at which wily experience overcomes youthful exuberance, Tango. I guess we'll know soon enough. :D

Fascinating battle (and this from someone who tends not to follow tennis).
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:32 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:41 pm
I did wonder at the mid-point of the third set as to - I wonder if this is now the tipping point at which wily experience overcomes youthful exuberance, Tango. I guess we'll know soon enough. :D

Fascinating battle (and this from someone who tends not to follow tennis).
All credit to Djokovic's professionalism and skill. He looked nailed on to lose then suddenly turned it all round and triumphed. Sinner will be one to watch (and this from someone who's never played a game of tennis outside of Moss Bank, and that was a very long time ago) Can our last hope, Norrie, do the trick. He's on now.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:35 pm

Norrie did it. Great nail-biting win and all credit to the man. In the balance right to the end and Goffin proved a tough opponent. Admitting I wasn't too confident om Norrie's chances, but I'd take my Geoffrey Boycott straw hat off to him if I had such a thing. :oyea: .

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:03 pm

"Tis all a checkerboard of nights and days, where destiny, with men for pieces, plays"

Might be describing Rafa Nadal's tennis. He knows exactly which square he's moving to....well, at least most of the time, although he's being given a low for blow by Fritz, Could go any way in the last set.

And thus it did. Best close game of tennis for ages. Nadal won in the end, but Taylor Fritz will replace Djokavics and Nadal and co in time, mark it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:59 pm

Been keeping an eye on The Davis Cup. Dan Evans beat the Dutchman (with the unpronounceable name) but Cameron Norrie just got a tanking from another Dutchman with an unpronounceable name). Now it's Andy Murray's turn. To be continued...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:29 pm

Cameron Norrie beats Rafa Nadal....now there's a shocker as England lead Spain 2-0

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:18 pm

What an amazing player Andy Murray really is... :pray:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/64333916

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:42 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:18 pm
What an amazing player Andy Murray really is...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/64333916
I don’t think many will even understand the magnitude of what he’s just done. He’s 35. Has a metal hip. He was told he couldn’t play tennis anymore. Yet he’s just won from two sets and 5-2 down against a top player in 5 hours and 45 minutes.

The magnitude of that is greater than ten grand slam wins. It’s just unimaginable.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:14 am

Two days after another five set win. The man is ridiculous. Must be in the top five British sportsmen of all time. Unbelievable.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:12 pm

Been watching Broady win and Andy,, "too good to hurry Murry" Time and light halted this till tomorrow but he's two sets to one up right now. .

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:22 am

Maybe my favourite sportsperson ever. Worried about him for tomorrow after that. But what spirit.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:30 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:14 am
Must be in the top five British sportsmen of all time. Unbelievable.
That'd be an interesting list (which I won't clog the tennis thread with...

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:38 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:30 am
Prufrock wrote:
It is a fairly broad statement which would start a long and controversial thread.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:50 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:38 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
It is a fairly broad statement which would start a long and controversial thread.
Gawan then, given he's out. Might not make the top 50 :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:50 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:38 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Gawan then, given he's out. Might not make the top 50 :-)
Easily number one and it’s not even close. No British sportsman has risen to the top of a sport with so many disadvantages and so few opportunities in the sports greatest era to boot.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:03 am

Disadvantages? Starter for 10, worked down a pit like Nat? Moved to Barcelona in his teens to improve his tennis? Give your fcuking head a shake.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:39 am

I think it's a wonderful, glorious idea for a thread!

There's obviously no definites, different people in different sports across different eras. But...

Murray, for me, a solid top 5 banker. Both cursed and made by the era he was in.

The other day I was pondering on whether Stokes has overtaken Beefy for our best all rounder. He has for me, and he'd be in that top 5 too. Jimmy probably has a shout too, but didn't really have a huge moment in the way Botham does (or Stokes has about 10).Broad has the spells but you can't pick him over Jim. Fred the absolute highs but feels like a push.

There's a lot of names after that. Yon combover from down the road has a shout, as does Moore. Gazza probably needed a big trophy to get in there. There's a few of the current footballer who might be in 20 years. Ashley Cole (superb red card tonight) is probably the best English footballer of my lifetime on quality, but you can't be picking a left back.

I can see how people might make an argument for the athletics, but not for me, too niche. And I um and ah about Wilkinson but he's not a defo no.

Tbf I'm struggling beyond Murray and Stokes, though there must be some recently bias there...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:50 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:03 am
Disadvantages? Starter for 10, worked down a pit like Nat? Moved to Barcelona in his teens to improve his tennis? Give your fcuking head a shake.
Disadvantages have to be weighed relative to his peers. Not relative to a footballer from the 1950’s.

He wasn’t in a tennis academy from the age of 11/12 like most of his peers or a product of the Swiss tennis federation. He lived in Scotland - hardly a hotbed of tennis success and the worst possible conditions.

He survived the worst school massacre in British history and the mental scars from that alone must be massive.

He was born with significant undiagnosed knee injury where his kneecaps didn’t fuse together. The result of which has caused many of his injury issues in his career and meant he was always disadvantaged in terms of reaching full fitness. He played in pain without it being known why till he was 16.

He rose to win grand slams and number one in a sport you have to go back to pre World War Two to find the last Brit to do so. Clearly against massive structural disadvantages.

He also won in an era of the greatest players ever to play the game. And not just one. Three of the buggers. World number one, double Olympic gold singles medalist (only one in the history of the sport), 3 grand slams. He made the top of a sport against pretty much all odds.

So there will be zero head wobbling here.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:05 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:39 am
I think it's a wonderful, glorious idea for a thread!

There's obviously no definites, different people in different sports across different eras. But...

Murray, for me, a solid top 5 banker. Both cursed and made by the era he was in.

The other day I was pondering on whether Stokes has overtaken Beefy for our best all rounder. He has for me, and he'd be in that top 5 too. Jimmy probably has a shout too, but didn't really have a huge moment in the way Botham does (or Stokes has about 10).Broad has the spells but you can't pick him over Jim. Fred the absolute highs but feels like a push.

There's a lot of names after that. Yon combover from down the road has a shout, as does Moore. Gazza probably needed a big trophy to get in there. There's a few of the current footballer who might be in 20 years. Ashley Cole (superb red card tonight) is probably the best English footballer of my lifetime on quality, but you can't be picking a left back.

I can see how people might make an argument for the athletics, but not for me, too niche. And I um and ah about Wilkinson but he's not a defo no.

Tbf I'm struggling beyond Murray and Stokes, though there must be some recently bias there...
Teamsports are where it becomes far more difficult. Jimmy has proven himself an elite in the sport. A standout. By the statistics. He’s got to be up there.

Stokes on the other hand has not. He’s not in the top elite players by stats. But he is in terms of some massive moments and sheer will to win. The World Cup innings probably pushes him over he edge but I’d say that he was in arguably the best team in the world at the time achieving that and had great players in there too.

It’s a really tough one. In a sport where stats matter I’m not convinced stokes has ever been ‘best in the world’ whereas Jimmy definitely has. But both have won things in different ways.