The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:20 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:07 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:51 am

She’s completely off her head and also completely incompetent. If we end up with her I despair.

Another far right Brexit lackey prepared to do anything and say anything. If you look at her fellow legal professionals their opinion of her and her competence couldn’t be worse.
I'll cross her off the list then :D

I honestly know nowt about her, but she did come across well.
She is *dreadful*. The only reason she has the AG job is because she's willing to basically sign off anything.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:27 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:46 am

I was impressed by Attorney General Suella Braverman who, on last night's Peston, calmly ran through a whole host of reasons as to why Johnson's no longer fit for office before being the first person to publicly throw her own cap into the ring.
Peston in 'obvious question but delivered in that supercilious style of his' shocker - 'Well why haven't you resigned on principle?' (you could almost feel the 4ucker winking towards the camera) to which she basically replied, calmly - because the country still needs an Attorney General within a functioning government whilst it gets sorted.
And thereby hangs a very large ( and highly controversial) tale. A word I've always disliked is "Blame", and that has been used in British history (which I am interested in) since Alfred burnt the cakes. It is still prominent. in "Top of the Flops". :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:28 am

Someone blasting out the Benny Hill tune in the background to interviews on college green.... :-)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:33 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:21 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:16 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:58 pm
I hope for all our sakes Sunak can win a leadership contest because at least I believe he’s serious and competent. And we need two years of that desperately. I’m not holding my breath though.
100% where I am.
And this is it. I don’t politically agree with him. But I do at least respect him and his right to have a different view. He’s obviously not representing me but that’s fine.
I was impressed by Attorney General Suella Braverman who, on last night's Peston, calmly ran through a whole host of reasons as to why Johnson's no longer fit for office before being the first person to publicly throw her own cap into the ring.
Peston in 'obvious question but delivered in that supercilious style of his' shocker - 'Well why haven't you resigned on principle?' (you could almost feel the 4ucker winking towards the camera) to which she basically replied, calmly - because the country still needs an Attorney General within a functioning government whilst it gets sorted.
She also impressed me with both the way she spoke as well as what she said, should definitely get a high position if not leader, which to be fair I don't think she'd win.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:39 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I hope for all our sakes Sunak can win a leadership contest because at least I believe he’s serious and competent. And we need two years of that desperately. I’m not holding my breath though.
100% where I am.
And this is it. I don’t politically agree with him. But I do at least respect him and his right to have a different view. He’s obviously not representing me but that’s fine.
She’s completely off her head and also completely incompetent. If we end up with her I despair.

Another far right Brexit lackey prepared to do anything and say anything. If you look at her fellow legal professionals their opinion of her and her competence couldn’t be worse.

Sunak, Wallace, Tugenhadt and Hunt. I could probably live with those. Possibly even Mordaunt though another Brexit liar doesn’t fill me with huge confidence.

After that it’s slim pickings.
Mate whatever the thoughts of legal lackeys about her are meaningless afterall they are the most boring, brain dead selfish, know now'ts except what they memorized about history knowing full well their pals further up the chain will appear to be clever by accepting their garbage!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:39 am

Be fair Brucie, he lasted longer than the previous Education Secretary! :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:42 am

Hoboh wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:39 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
100% where I am.

Sunak, Wallace, Tugenhadt and Hunt. I could probably live with those. Possibly even Mordaunt though another Brexit liar doesn’t fill me with huge confidence.

After that it’s slim pickings.
Mate whatever the thoughts of legal lackeys about her are meaningless afterall they are the most boring, brain dead selfish, know now'ts except what they memorized about history knowing full well their pals further up the chain will appear to be clever by accepting their garbage!
She’s a legal professional too. And not a good one. Do you want someone who is considered poor at their job being the next PM?

For god sakes she’s completely off her trolley. We need a coherent, sensible, safe and honest pair of hands now desperately.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:50 am

In defence of Boris: The best example I can think of is Mr xxxxxx from the local allotment committee being put in charge of the Chelsea Flower Show because "he's a nice chap and always willing to help and grows lovely tomatoes". A man out of his depth who unfortunately happened to be in charge at a particularly explosive time world-wide.
God luck to the next resident of Number Ten. (Maybe the resident of 221 Baker Street would have sorted it all out. Elementary, my dear everybody) :)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:53 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:50 am
In defence of Boris: The best example I can think of is Mr xxxxxx from the local allotment committee being put in charge of the Chelsea Flower Show because "he's a nice chap and always willing to help and grows lovely tomatoes". A man out of his depth who unfortunately happened to be in charge at a particularly explosive time world-wide.
God luck to the next resident of Number Ten. (Maybe the resident of 221 Baker Street would have sorted it all out. Elementary, my dear everybody) :)
That’s a dreadful example. Sorry. He’s not a nice chap out of his depth. In any way. He’s an absolutely abhorrent self centred liar out of his depth. He was sacked from two previous jobs for lying. His character (or lack of it) was broadly on display for all to see. His behaviour in office has been the worst of any sitting pm in history.

He’s a self entitled, dishonest, unpleasant egomaniac.

He was never ever fit for office.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:54 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:42 am

She’s a legal professional too. And not a good one. Do you want someone who is considered poor at their job being the next PM?

For god sakes she’s completely off her trolley. We need a coherent, sensible, safe and honest pair of hands now desperately.
God has a capital " G" and an apostrophe "s" Insaney. Thought you might need to know this if you're thinking of Divine intervention and miracles helping. :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:59 am

There's this article in The Independent, I see, which could well have been written by BWFC-I :)

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/su ... 17756.html
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:03 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:50 am
Is Mr xxxxxx a lying, narcissist? He put himself forwards as competent to run a country. He gets judged on that, not whether he can run an allotment in Fulham.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:47 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:59 am
There's this article in The Independent, I see, which could well have been written by BWFC-I :)

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/su ... 17756.html
I’d note that’s the indie not some screaming left wing rag.

Be very afraid of her. She’s Boris in a different package.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:07 pm

Apparently we're now playing "c*nt roulette" 🤣🤣🤣🤣

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:17 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:07 pm
Apparently we're now playing "c*nt roulette" 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Do you think Labour MPs are now hoping Starmer is fined so they can also have a reset given that a fresh Tory leader poses more problems for them than a disgraced Johnson? And that having a solid and competent leader isn’t enough now?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:58 pm

I do think that's a distinct possibility.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:25 pm

Whoever gets the gig will have to be hard core and stamp on the nonsense Johnson has left behind. Top to bottom clear out and install some discipline, reforms are needed across the board, the NHS, Police, Justice system, defence, all on top of the cost of living.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:18 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:25 pm
Whoever gets the gig will have to be hard core and stamp on the nonsense Johnson has left behind. Top to bottom clear out and install some discipline, reforms are needed across the board, the NHS, Police, Justice system, defence, all on top of the cost of living.
Whoever gets it has a problem that we are over 2 trillion in debt and that’s rising by the day, have inflation sky rocketing not due to demand but due to supply, a services led economy broken by Brexit and aforementioned supply challenges and crumbling public services.

On top of as you say the horrendous issues on cost of living that the economic failures of the last 12 years have precipitated.

This is an unholy mess. And you and I might disagree on how to fix it but I’m sure we agree it needs some pretty significant and drastic fixes.

I think it’s why it’s paramount the next leader isn’t a personality cult isn’t someone who bangs on about cultural issues or Brexit simply to Stoke up their supposed electoral base but is an actual grown up politician with ideas and plans and long term vision rather than spaffing off policies that will never actually happen to keep the daily mail readers happy.

I don’t exactly hold my breath but we need to select not on the basis of a ‘character’ or a personality or someone who appeals or rather irrelevant identity politics but someone of real substance.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:33 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:18 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Whoever gets it has a problem that we are over 2 trillion in debt and that’s rising by the day, have inflation sky rocketing not due to demand but due to supply, a services led economy broken by Brexit and aforementioned supply challenges and crumbling public services.

On top of as you say the horrendous issues on cost of living that the economic failures of the last 12 years have precipitated.

This is an unholy mess. And you and I might disagree on how to fix it but I’m sure we agree it needs some pretty significant and drastic fixes.

I think it’s why it’s paramount the next leader isn’t a personality cult isn’t someone who bangs on about cultural issues or Brexit simply to Stoke up their supposed electoral base but is an actual grown up politician with ideas and plans and long term vision rather than spaffing off policies that will never actually happen to keep the daily mail readers happy.

I don’t exactly hold my breath but we need to select not on the basis of a ‘character’ or a personality or someone who appeals or rather irrelevant identity politics but someone of real substance.
Your problem is constantly banging the Brexit drum just as much as Johnson, people like me voted Johnson simply because we'd had enough of the Gina Miller types those who lay in the same bed as that little Scottish oink who could not accept the result of a democratic referendum, nor did I/they want a commie in no10.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:48 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:33 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:18 pm
Hoboh wrote:

Your problem is constantly banging the Brexit drum just as much as Johnson, people like me voted Johnson simply because we'd had enough of the Gina Miller types those who lay in the same bed as that little Scottish oink who could not accept the result of a democratic referendum, nor did I/they want a commie in no10.
We’ve had Brexit. It’s been disastrous. We can’t go back in. So the next PM has to acknowledge the problems it has caused and fix those problems. That won’t be easy because we can’t do a lot. However until there is acknowledgement of the economic pain it is creating then there can be no hope of actually making it better.

Nobody wants a new leader talking about Brexit. We just need honesty in appraising the mess we are in and what the fixes are.