The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Hoboh » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:00 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:43 pm
And what exactly was Labour's plan other than continue lockdowns and throw money at more benefits? Who would be shelling out cash left right and centre to the likes of the railway workers? Who would be paying billions to sweeten the EU, yeah we are in a mess and would be no better under labour, well with the exception of the unionized mobs.
Labour would force the energy cap to remain and the energy companies to take the hit. So they say. I’ve no idea if they can do that but it’s certainly better than the alternative.

The lockdowns point is more
What I do know is that more Tory governments are simply going to keep diverting money to the richest 5% at our expense. That’s all they’ve done for the last decade and a bit and indeed the last 50 years. And all Truss talks about is more of the same. More things that are about helping the wealthy at our expense.
I don't disagree with the above but I also see under a labour government the return to power of the fat controller and union leaders so far up their own backsides you either do what they say or swivel, a bunch of bandits under a red rosette.
As I say trust is dying rapidly in anyone in a political role.
What exactly are labour planning to do about the boat people as well? And before you say it's not that big a problem it's a town the size of Horwich arrived this year already, pressure on housing, services and money needed elsewhere now.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:05 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:54 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:00 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:43 pm
And what exactly was Labour's plan other than continue lockdowns and throw money at more benefits? Who would be shelling out cash left right and centre to the likes of the railway workers? Who would be paying billions to sweeten the EU, yeah we are in a mess and would be no better under labour, well with the exception of the unionized mobs.
Labour would force the energy cap to remain and the energy companies to take the hit. So they say. I’ve no idea if they can do that but it’s certainly better than the alternative.

The lockdowns point is more
What I do know is that more Tory governments are simply going to keep diverting money to the richest 5% at our expense. That’s all they’ve done for the last decade and a bit and indeed the last 50 years. And all Truss talks about is more of the same. More things that are about helping the wealthy at our expense.
I don't disagree with the above but I also see under a labour government the return to power of the fat controller and union leaders so far up their own backsides you either do what they say or swivel, a bunch of bandits under a red rosette.
As I say trust is dying rapidly in anyone in a political role.
Would that be unions withdrawing their money from Labour as Starmer won’t play to their tune? I’m not sure you’ve kept up with the news. The unions and the Labour Party aren’t exactly singing from the same hymn sheet.

I’d also say that the whole union ‘bogeymen’ thing is another classic piece of propaganda. Unions are the only tool we have to actually redress the balance of wealth between the richest 5% and everyone else. Collective bargaining is all there is. Otherwise it’s simply more shareholder profit and stagnant wages. The Tory threat to limit union power will simply line the pockets of shareholders and leave everyone else worse off. And without collective bargaining there is absolute no redress for say, Amazon or any large business. Why would you pay any worker more when you have a ready supply of desperate people not unionised who you can just ship in?

We need unions. We need them more than ever. We could do with them without their political nonsense. But still as a principle unions are one of the few things that shields people from even more rampant corporate excess and greed. And Truss wants to remove more union power and essentially hand that power to shareholders. It’s really the opposite of what anyone should want.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:40 pm

I once wrote a book about this which got mischaracterised – British workers produce less per hour than … and that’s a combination of kind of skill and application.”
“If you look at productivity, it’s very, very different in London from the rest of the country. But basically … this has been a historical fact for decades. Essentially it’s partly a mindset and attitude thing, I think. It’s working culture, basically. If you go to China it’s quite different, I can assure you.”
“There’s a fundamental issue of British working culture. Essentially, if we’re going to be a richer country and a more prosperous country, that needs to change. But I don’t think people are that keen to change that.
“There’s a slight thing in Britain about wanting the easy answers. That’s my reflection on the election and what’s gone before it, and the referendum – we say it’s all Europe that’s causing these huge problems … it’s all these migrants causing these problems. But actually what needs to happen is more … more graft. It’s not a popular message.”
Liz Truss from a private treasury event sometime between 2017-19, after the Brexit referendum. To paraphrase….British workers are lazy. Especially outside of London. And Brexit was all about scapegoating the EU and migrants when the real problem is British people themselves.

Oh super. I give her less than a year. The utterly reprehensible witch.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:51 pm

Well, Liz - When the time comes for me to reflect on my time at work, I'll certainly not be embarrassed, and I won't be wishing I'd put any more in either.
Are we lazy British bastards not supposed to have some kind of a work life balance?
Stupid, stupid woman.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:49 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:51 pm
Well, Liz - When the time comes for me to reflect on my time at work, I'll certainly not be embarrassed, and I won't be wishing I'd put any more in either.
Are we lazy British bastards not supposed to have some kind of a work life balance?
Stupid, stupid woman.
I'm OK because I work in London a lot. I only drag my slack ass when I come home, North.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:46 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:49 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:51 pm
Stupid, stupid woman.
I'm OK because I work in London a lot. I only drag my slack ass when I come home, North.
I’ve written to truss suggesting she ships out all British workers (apart from the London ones) to China. Instantly solves our population issues and means that we all will have much better attitudes and work efficiently under the communist Chinese regime.

Then they can replace us all with eu migrants who obviously truss knows have a better work ethic. They can take our wives and assume our family positions.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:56 am

Dear Mrs Lizzie woman. I've worked and travelled daily for many years to Liverpool and Manchester each side of a nine hour working day, finally retiring at 70. I too think I did enough because to be in full employ for that long you have to be good at what you do. Er, what is it exactly you do yourself if you don't mind me asking ?

p.s. I have a feeling you may be the institutor of the impending N.S.M. (Northern Sufferingits Movement.) I think our logo may be miner and a mill girl dressed in pink and riding a a rainbow coloured unicorn . We'll be singing our anthem " Hi Ho, Hi Ho, as off to work we go" on the way. :spank:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:20 am

I've been reading about what these Freeports mean for the people who live and work in those cities and if they've got any sense, they will take to the streets to ensure their council rejects any proposals by the Port Authorities to make it happen.

Sweet Jesus
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:25 pm

It is so funny hearing folks talk about renationalization. I thought it was only people with a picture of Uncle Joe on their wall that talked of such stuff. Failing regulation, profits that we were told would be reinvestment in infrastructure, being taken as dividends. CEOs failing the consumer and dumping raw sewage because it costs money to process it, taking >1m salaries. Profits, our money, from one energy company helping France cap rises coz they own it. Little affordable housing they didn't sell off. Our children held to ransome by rents. We had boom and bust whilst Thatcher was still in power, dressed up as an "economic miracle"

Long live her legacy. Long live free markets and long live the cnuts currently in power blaming it all on anyone but them and long live the British public for being dumb enough to fall for it.

In next week's episode, which will be much shorter than this, we'll be discussing the Brexit Dividend.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:01 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:25 pm
It is so funny hearing folks talk about renationalization. I thought it was only people with a picture of Uncle Joe on their wall that talked of such stuff. Failing regulation, profits that we were told would be reinvestment in infrastructure, being taken as dividends. CEOs failing the consumer and dumping raw sewage because it costs money to process it, taking >1m salaries. Profits, our money, from one energy company helping France cap rises coz they own it. Little affordable housing they didn't sell off. Our children held to ransome by rents. We had boom and bust whilst Thatcher was still in power, dressed up as an "economic miracle"

Long live her legacy. Long live free markets and long live the cnuts currently in power blaming it all on anyone but them and long live the British public for being dumb enough to fall for it.

In next week's episode, which will be much shorter than this, we'll be discussing the Brexit Dividend.
Agree with your point of course. However on the sewage pouring into our seas and rivers not sure that is down to privatisation entirely. As in Scotland they have similar issues with their nationalised system.

The main drivers for sewage flowing into our water are 1) climate change and 2) Brexit.

1) the more extreme downpours are overloading the treatment system and when that happens you have two choices…overspill into water or overspill into peoples homes and gardens.

2) Brexit has reduced our supply of water treatment chemicals and kit. So we have a reduced capacity to cope with it. As part of the Brexit legislation they allowed the water companies more latitude to spill into our water as part of ‘cutting EU red tape’ but in truth it was because we had less processing capacity. Funny how Brexit has been all about lowering our standards to point of pumping our own effluence into our waterways. Thirdly the regulator the EA has had its powers and budget reduced year on year. To ensure that the water companies keep their profits in post Brexit mess.

Yet our glorious media don’t even report on the situation until it’s literally too late. I’m a very peaceful live and let live sort but I’m not sure public hanging for those responsible for this utter disgrace wouldn’t be out of order once or if we ever come through the other side.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:01 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

Agree with your point of course. However on the sewage pouring into our seas and rivers not sure that is down to privatisation entirely. As in Scotland they have similar issues with their nationalised system.

The main drivers for sewage flowing into our water are 1) climate change and 2) Brexit.

1) the more extreme downpours are overloading the treatment system and when that happens you have two choices…overspill into water or overspill into peoples homes and gardens.

2) Brexit has reduced our supply of water treatment chemicals and kit. So we have a reduced capacity to cope with it. As part of the Brexit legislation they allowed the water companies more latitude to spill into our water as part of ‘cutting EU red tape’ but in truth it was because we had less processing capacity. Funny how Brexit has been all about lowering our standards to point of pumping our own effluence into our waterways. Thirdly the regulator the EA has had its powers and budget reduced year on year. To ensure that the water companies keep their profits in post Brexit mess.

Yet our glorious media don’t even report on the situation until it’s literally too late. I’m a very peaceful live and let live sort but I’m not sure public hanging for those responsible for this utter disgrace wouldn’t be out of order once or if we ever come through the other side.
1. Yeah funny it's the dry/hot/cold/wet/windy never had these 40, 50, 60.... years ago anything fits the narrative climate change.

2. Brexit, Brexit, Brexit, blah, blah, blah. Cannot help yourself can You? Have a hanky.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:47 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:54 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:01 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

1. Yeah funny it's the dry/hot/cold/wet/windy never had these 40, 50, 60.... years ago anything fits the narrative climate change.

2. Brexit, Brexit, Brexit, blah, blah, blah. Cannot help yourself can You? Have a hanky.
I’m sorry the facts don’t fit your narrative. But that’s how it goes.

1) climate change is measurable. We have more frequent heavy downpours now. And more dry hot spells that mean the ground can’t absorb those downpours as well.

2) It’s a simple fact that Brexit broke the supply chain for water treatment. And that the Tories under the guise of Brexit have watered down the Environment Agency to a shell meaning they have fewer staff to monitor and virtually no power to do anything about it if they could:

Let me be clear. It’s not leaving the EU that’s the issue really. It’s leaving the EU to the tune of free market privateers who only want a low tax, low wage, high profit state. Leaving the EU to the tune of Farage, Johnson and Rees Mogg etc is the issue. Because their dream is cutting all the protections we have (they call it cutting EU red tape if you haven’t worked out the code) and making people think it’s a good thing. And one of the consequences of that is this. If these utter crooks had been called out from the start we’d not be here. But they weren’t and we are. However the British public eventually pulls back from extremism of all forms and that is what will happen now.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:21 pm

clearly You were not around in the late 60's early 70's when a downpour was a regular thing and hot summer's oh and we used to have proper snow as well.
You trust the figures when they cannot even tell you 24hr in advance with millions of bucks worth of equipment what the weather will be like? Ok you go your route, good luck charging your electric car when the power goes down.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:40 am

Are you an AI "I remember the 80s" bot :lol: feck me. I love the commitment Hobes.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:41 pm

Bit closer than I expected at 81k to 60k - gawd help us.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:53 pm

I think I'd rather have Boris, garden parties and all. Tony Blairs big fault was his naivety but how would he handle Putin? Hobson's but what alternatives?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:02 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:53 pm
I think I'd rather have Boris, garden parties and all. Tony Blairs big fault was his naivety but how would he handle Putin? Hobson's but what alternatives?
Blair was a political colossus compared to Johnson, who doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence. I think you may be right though re Truss. She could actually be worse than Boris.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:11 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:02 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Blair was a political colossus compared to Johnson, who doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence. I think you may be right though re Truss. She could actually be worse than Boris.
They are the same. Both just political opportunists feasting off the stupidity of the infiltration of the Tory party by little Englander brexiteers.

They both have to do what they are told by the far right elements of the Tory party.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:01 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:11 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
They are the same. Both just political opportunists feasting off the stupidity of the infiltration of the Tory party by little Englander brexiteers.

They both have to do what they are told by the far right elements of the Tory party.
How soon you forget that the 'little Englanders' were in the majority of those who could be bothered to vote and not the minority arrogant barsteward remainers who went for a glass of EU wine instead because they had it all sown up! With call me Dave and Ozzy Osborne on board you had no chance, suck it up loser.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:07 am

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:01 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:11 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

How soon you forget that the 'little Englanders' were in the majority of those who could be bothered to vote and not the minority arrogant barsteward remainers who went for a glass of EU wine instead because they had it all sown up! With call me Dave and Ozzy Osborne on board you had no chance, suck it up loser.
I mean you are right we had no chance with losers like this on our side.

https://twitter.com/karlturnermp/status ... NC4s2Q7P_w