creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:55 pm

I don't have it down as "likely" mate. Equally I don't have it down as absolutely impossible, either..Had we been going in to match 3 at 1-1 (given they still needed a chunk with 2 wickets left in match 1), I doubt they'd have been thinking it was robbery.

Today when Stokes was out, like HG, we probably all said "start the car," whereas to your point a Broad from 8 years back we might have still be at "maybe." :-)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:01 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:49 pm
We have to get the bowling right, and I'm not sure we quite have it. First test, that spell in the rain when they took wickets, and then the three worldies in this.

Tough to fault them over all. And it's going to be tasty.
At the very large risk of being proven wrong, yet again, by Jimmy and about Jimmy. He's currently sat on 3-220ish. I wouldn't say he's bowled very poorly, but I think they have to look across options....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:20 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:01 pm

At the very large risk of being proven wrong, yet again, by Jimmy and about Jimmy. He's currently sat on 3-220ish. I wouldn't say he's bowled very poorly, but I think they have to look across options....
Not too familiar with current county cricket and a Jimmy Anderson fan but I think we need a bowler who can bat a bit to strengthen the tail end/ Nothing/no one lasts forever and Jimmy is rather "well worn". Our tail end needs something more than just being, well..tail lend. I can't offer names, just the obvious shortcomings. Oz had more strength as a team, whereas if our starts aren't shining we tend to crumble a bit easily.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:08 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
We have to get the bowling right, and I'm not sure we quite have it. First test, that spell in the rain when they took wickets, and then the three worldies in this.

It’s a reasonable question but Anderson says he has been struggling for form since injury. I’m not sure I’d write him off but the style of bowling that has worked on the two pitches thus far aren’t Jimmy either.

The problem is we’ve added Wood, Lawrence and Woakes to the squad for the next one.

Wood definitely adds something but not as an opener and not in long spells.

Woakes hasn’t been in the best of form and in style is probably a not as good as Jimmy type.

I’m not too convinced that Robinson has done enough either and it’s a tough call. I feel like given stokes limits on bowling we are a bowler light but then the other issue is the batting and a long tail.

There is a call to make between Anderson, Robinson, Wood and Woakes I think. 2 from those. Assuming Broad and Tongue are safe.

I still think any permutation has questions.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:08 pm

Yeah, that's it in part, TD. If he's taking 7/8/9 wickets then his batting probably doesn't factor too much, but Lords is usually a wicket he gets plenty out of, because of how he bowls the slope..Edgbaston probably wasn't a Jimmy gig, but you probably thought D1, Lords, was...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:15 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:08 pm
Yeah, that's it in part, TD. If he's taking 7/8/9 wickets then his batting probably doesn't factor too much, but Lords is usually a wicket he gets plenty out of, because of how he bowls the slope..Edgbaston probably wasn't a Jimmy gig, but you probably thought D1, Lords, was...
The thing is that the Aussies have said the ball didn’t move much at all at Lords and this was not expected. The only movement really was starc and that didn’t last all that long either and beyond that spell the rest couldn’t get much joy from normal pitch up bowling.

So I’m not that sure that Lords this time suited Jimmy much.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:08 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

It’s a reasonable question but Anderson says he has been struggling for form since injury. I’m not sure I’d write him off but the style of bowling that has worked on the two pitches thus far aren’t Jimmy either.

The problem is we’ve added Wood, Lawrence and Woakes to the squad for the next one.

Wood definitely adds something but not as an opener and not in long spells.

Woakes hasn’t been in the best of form and in style is probably a not as good as Jimmy type.

I’m not too convinced that Robinson has done enough either and it’s a tough call. I feel like given stokes limits on bowling we are a bowler light but then the other issue is the batting and a long tail.

There is a call to make between Anderson, Robinson, Wood and Woakes I think. 2 from those. Assuming Broad and Tongue are safe.

I still think any permutation has questions.
Thought about Robinson too, but he's still on 10 wickets, and a pretty decent spread across the order...

Yeah, maybe it was short of movement on a consistent basis, but there was some, as I'm sure Pope and Brooks would attest to. :-)

There's lots of reasons to keep Jimmy and I'm sure they'll do the analysis...

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:06 pm

I don’t think Anderson will play next. Even if he’d been flying he’d have probably been considered for a rest to then be fit for the last 2. His form makes that decision easier IMO. I don’t really buy the ‘pitches not suiting him’ argument either. The last few years he’s been able to take wickets cheaply across the world, even on the flattest of flat pitches in Pakistan. It’s just not worked out for him. I’d be interested to see his expected wickets for this series so far. I remember a couple of summers ago he had similar poor returns early on and people were questioning him. His expected average though was still really good, showing he wasn’t bowling badly and was probably just unlucky. Sure enough he soon started taking wickets again.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:28 pm

We’ll spank them at Headingley, I can feel it!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:41 pm

jimbo wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:06 pm
I don’t think Anderson will play next. Even if he’d been flying he’d have probably been considered for a rest to then be fit for the last 2. His form makes that decision easier IMO. I don’t really buy the ‘pitches not suiting him’ argument either. The last few years he’s been able to take wickets cheaply across the world, even on the flattest of flat pitches in Pakistan. It’s just not worked out for him. I’d be interested to see his expected wickets for this series so far. I remember a couple of summers ago he had similar poor returns early on and people were questioning him. His expected average though was still really good, showing he wasn’t bowling badly and was probably just unlucky. Sure enough he soon started taking wickets again.
It’s a tough one. I don’t think the pitches are an excuse or anything. He’s clearly not in top form. But then we’ve basically seen both attacks at lords only really find consistent success banging it in half way down. That’s not Jimmy. And yes starc had a spell of about 4 overs where he was unplayable but was not exactly like that the rest of the test. Two of jimmys past the edgers first innings get nicks and you are saying similar about him.

Robinson I like but can’t help but feel the Aussie top order don’t find his normal bowling very hard to play. They seem to have a lot of time. He’s younger than Jimmy so can do more of the donkey work but I’m not convinced if you go back to standard line and length stuff that he’s a better option.

As you say though Jimmy might be rested by virtue of age and iirc he doesn’t have the best headingley record anyway.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:05 pm

Confirmed Pope out for the series. Do we bring Foakes in and nudge everyone up one?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:31 pm

jimbo wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:05 pm
Confirmed Pope out for the series. Do we bring Foakes in and nudge everyone up one?
Don’t see that happening as we need an extra bowler and the tail felt too long as it is.

Moeen in and Stokes up to 3?

Then maybe even Woakes and wood in for Robinson and Jimmy? Strengthen the batting line up freshen up the bowlers.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:21 pm

We could possibly still got for 4 + no spinner at Headingly. Leach didn't bowl many in 2019 - none in the first innings and 11 in the second. But then again neither side scored many first innings - they were out for 179 we were out for 67. Lyon did bowl a shedload second innings (39), but still only got 2 wickets. Didn't play there in 2013 and back in 2009 was a spinners nightmare again. Aussies didn't bother with one and Swanny bowled 16 overs for runs...

So I wouldn't be entirely surprised if we didn't go with 4 "quicks."

They've said they're not calling up any replacements which sort of leaves Lawrence or no-one (as Foakes isn't in the squad)

Can't see Lawrence batting at 3, even if he came in...

I wonder if they see Mo as a better batsman than Lawrence - because there isn't much else on the batting front.

I don't think we'll drop Robinson. He's currently the second leading wicket taker in the series behind Broad - so I'd find that pretty strange. Maybe:

1) Crawley
2) Duckett
3) Lawrence (Not sure they wouldn't tinker with the order here, pushing Root up one)
4) Root
5) Brook
6) Stokes
7) Bairstow
8) Broad
9) Robinson
10) Wood (assuming he's fit enough - nothing to "save him for")
11) Tongue

I dunno, short, answer... :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:26 pm

Root does not like batting at 3 so can’t see them moving him.

Stokes could do it.

Talk is that Lawrence will but his record doesn’t scream England number 3 to me.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:26 pm

Stokes could do it.

Talk is that Lawrence will but his record doesn’t scream England number 3 to me.
T'is certainly another dilemma... :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:21 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:09 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:26 pm

Stokes could do it.

T'is certainly another dilemma... :-)
Yeah its certainly to me opened up the need for more changes.

If you bring Lawrence in at number 3 neither his batting or bowling records have me jumping for joy. And its probably a case of just tweaking your four seamers and hoping Lawrence can bowl a few.

If you brought Moeen in and pushed Stokes to 3 (he's probably our most technically sound batter bar Root) then the batting feels fragile so you probably need to put Woakes in to add strength to the middle order. Given they'd want to add Wood (I suspect) for this one its probably taking 2 quicks out for Woakes and Wood and that's why I said it would have to be Robbo. Broad will play and I suspect Tongue can't be dropped realistically.

If you bring an extra seamer in and push Stokes up it feels very risky batting wise then. I mean even if you added Woakes in as one of the seamers that's an even longer tail.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:47 pm

Jimmy probably won't be overjoyed if they leave him out, but he does need a rest. As for the rest, it's a brave man who'll mortgage his house on the result...but......Que Sera as ever.. I'll opt to keep the faith..

ae:)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:53 pm

Woakes averages around the same with the bat as Moeen... 27.91 v 28.10 - very similar strike rate. But I wouldn't advocate putting Woakes @ No3 :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:39 pm

I'm hoping for Bairstowe's revenge in this. We need to get him, Root and Ben all firing on all cylinders.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:03 pm

Talk is Brook goes to three. Moeen, Woakes and Wood in for Pope, Anderson and Tongue.