creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 11, 2024 8:59 pm

He was a long way short of Jasprit...his figures weren't awful, but not "peak Anderson," either...

I sorta got the impression from the interview, that he mighta preferred to bow out at Lords, but Lords goes first, Oval last...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:32 pm

Couple of interesting squad selections for next week, whilst we can watch the rain fall at Lords. Think Jonny rightly given a rest, along with Robinson. Going to be interesting to see how our new bowling line-up (with Jimmy for the 1st test but not the 2nd), performs. Sort of built around Pennington, Atkinson (who I've not seen anything/much of), Potts and Woakes. That feels like it could be a bit thin for the Ashes, unless two of them can anchor themselves...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:03 am

Only one Jimmy.....

James Anderson took seven for 35 in Lancashire's County Championship match against Nottinghamshire, eight days before his farewell Test appearance for England. :oyea:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:12 pm

7-45 not a shoddy haul, is Atkinson on debut?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:10 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:12 pm
Yeah debut. Looked very very good. Fast. Accurate. Impressive given lords isn’t that easy starting out.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:19 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:10 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Yeah debut. Looked very very good. Fast. Accurate. Impressive given lords isn’t that easy starting out.
Think you have to see bowlers on different tracks tbf. Some are just in your arc, whether other folks find them tricky or not. OT, I thought was tricky, because of a rise on the way to the crease, Lytham was flat and had lots of swing and assistance for seam. Some places you just hit the groove. Fair play to him.

Going to give it "catch-up" now. :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:44 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:19 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:10 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Think you have to see bowlers on different tracks tbf. Some are just in your arc, whether other folks find them tricky or not. OT, I thought was tricky, because of a rise on the way to the crease, Lytham was flat and had lots of swing and assistance for seam. Some places you just hit the groove. Fair play to him.

Going to give it "catch-up" now. :-)
Oh sure. It’s one innings. Wouldn’t get overly excited yet. But the thing that impressed me is he was bowling high 80’s into the 90’s yet it didn’t look or seem like it. You know like say Mark Wood or Archer are quick but their spells feel like novelty spells in tests. Bowl a few overs to unsettle the batters or rough them up. Whereas Atkinson on yesterday felt more someone who could just plug away at off stump at that pace with the occasional short delivery.

So if the wicket offers something he has the pace and accuracy to get something out of it. But it’s one innings. He got a bit lucky early doors for first wicket with a drag on to a not brilliant ball which probably helped his confidence.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:28 pm

Yeah, mate - I think apart from Jimmy we're looking to envisage this as the Ashes attack. So a bit of pace is always welcome. They are used to quicker, bouncier, bowling on their own turf, so hopefully, he can replicate it over the next 18 months. Our leading wicket takers last time down under were Wood, Broad and Robinson - so fingers crossed.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 12, 2024 3:41 pm

So it’s goodbye Jimmy. In retrospect a scandalous decision to not let Anderson, the greatest ever fast bowler decide when he wants to retire. I thought it was bad at the time but the more I’m watching the more I think it shows a dreadful lack of respect.

He doesn’t want to stop. He’s still easily good enough. It should be up to him. And if he gets to the point where he’s not picked anymore because he’s not good enough and can’t have a send off then it’s on his own terms. His choice.

Can you imagine telling a footballer still one of the first picks for England ‘sorry mate you have to retire now to let someone else have a go’?

I’ve enjoyed McCullum and his approach but he can get to feck with this one. Stokes clearly not comfortable with it either. There is plenty of room for the future with Jimmy still knocking around as this test has shown.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 12, 2024 4:20 pm

Many things in life make no sense. Dropping a Number one bowler is so English, so surprise is not a faction.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 12, 2024 5:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2024 3:41 pm
So it’s goodbye Jimmy. In retrospect a scandalous decision to not let Anderson, the greatest ever fast bowler decide when he wants to retire. I thought it was bad at the time but the more I’m watching the more I think it shows a dreadful lack of respect.

He doesn’t want to stop. He’s still easily good enough. It should be up to him. And if he gets to the point where he’s not picked anymore because he’s not good enough and can’t have a send off then it’s on his own terms. His choice.

Can you imagine telling a footballer still one of the first picks for England ‘sorry mate you have to retire now to let someone else have a go’?

I’ve enjoyed McCullum and his approach but he can get to feck with this one. Stokes clearly not comfortable with it either. There is plenty of room for the future with Jimmy still knocking around as this test has shown.
I'd have certainly given him both these tests just to give him a chance to get ahead of Warne. I doubt he's catching Murali. I thought he bowled okish in India, but a long way behind Jasprit and I understand the desire to get some folks bedded in for the Ashes, but certainly could've given him at least one more test.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 12, 2024 6:38 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2024 5:41 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2024 3:41 pm

I'd have certainly given him both these tests just to give him a chance to get ahead of Warne. I doubt he's catching Murali. I thought he bowled okish in India, but a long way behind Jasprit and I understand the desire to get some folks bedded in for the Ashes, but certainly could've given him at least one more test.
I just think that you could say to Jimmy ‘look it’s not that likely we will take you to Australia’. Leave it up to him. But still. I think it’s a pretty classless act.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:27 pm

Yeah - I mean the deed is done now, I guess. You can't have players picking when their services are no longer required. But not the first time they've been passed over. You can see the logic, we've got two series against teams we'd probably have high ambitions of beating at home - WI and SL - They're decent tests to blood new people into. I think had he passed Warne, I'd have been reasonably comfortable with the decision.

Another good 5-fer to add to the 7-fer, fer Atkinson though.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:15 pm

Despite the galaxy of names on Parade, Joe Root, the heartbeat of out cricket, beats steadily on. Long may he do so.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:45 pm

I think it's mental. If you had a bunch of 23 year old talent that was a bit raw I could see it, but it's Woakes and Wood. And he's still the best.

He's also past Warne now I think on real wickets against proper teams not bollocks World XI nonsense.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:46 pm

Certainly my biggest, possibly my only sporting hero
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 19, 2024 6:07 pm

Good fightback by Windies today. Pretty balanced at the moment.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 19, 2024 6:39 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2024 6:07 pm
Tells he tale that our total that seemed huge..isn't. Very even Steven right now.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 19, 2024 7:56 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2024 6:39 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2024 6:07 pm
Tells he tale that our total that seemed huge..isn't. Very even Steven right now.
Yeah always tricky to tell after one inning, unless you're actually watching it and even then it can still be a mystery...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 20, 2024 3:03 pm

Definitely glad we ended Anderson’s test career so we could watch 34 year old Wood and 35 year old Woakes get smashed round by Windies. Still got to look to the future and these young uns will show em….